FSX RAM Usage

Its not too much memory that hurts performance when over clocking. Using 4 Dimms as apposed to just 2 will lower your overclock. IIRC its not a heat issue, more a voltage issue.

I agree with Matt. Memory is a good thing if you require it. I can use around 8GB of RAM due to the addons I run with FSX.

But the number of sticks of memory limits my overclock potential. I can't provide enough voltage to keep the memory stable with any higher an overclock than I currently have, not without putting the CPU at risk with high temps anyway.

Chris

• Aerosoft

Its not too much memory that hurts performance when over clocking. Using 4 Dimms as apposed to just 2 will lower your overclock. IIRC its not a heat issue, more a voltage issue.

Yeah but if that becomes and issue you are already talking about serious overclocks. I would just keep as much mem in your computer as long as it is in 2 or 4 strips and not 1 or 3. Even if FSX won;t use it your OS will love it and can store stuff that does not need to be loaded from disk.

Yeah but if that becomes and issue you are already talking about serious overclocks. I would just keep as much mem in your computer as long as it is in 2 or 4 strips and not 1 or 3. Even if FSX won;t use it your OS will love it and can store stuff that does not need to be loaded from disk.

Agreed, presonally I always go for the largest size dimms I can afford. Rather than 4 x 4gb (and purchasing an additional 2 x 4gb dimms) I've just purchased 2 x 8gb dimms.

So, I spent a feel hours reading this forum and another one, and digging the problem and finding solutions.

I just wanna say thanks for all this info. Tomorrow I will try some fizex I read here and at the link of avsim.

BUT... my frustration lies where I read that many of you get the OOM with addons, and some fancy addons I must say.

I got an OOM today on a final approach on KLAX at 24R flying the 747.

"Ok Luis, whats your point"

This was the first time I ran FSX on my new Machine (i7 3,4GHz ; 16gb RAM ; GTX570 1,2GB)

Was a clean naked FSX Deluxe with SP1. NO ADDONS.

However, I had maxed out everything possible (as far as I remember) and was flying a Cloudy Approach at night. Had no ideia about this 32bit limit software problem/limitation.

But the fact that I had this machine, and got this problem with NO addons what so ever, just made me feel sad and hopeless.

Was planing on adding some Ultimate Terrain X... My traffic.... REX.... and stuff... now just feel crapy.

But if i got that, even that everything was maxed out... autogen and all... running Addons wont help at all... or maybe I am wrong.

I mean, whats the point on buying Addons if I will not be able to enjoy the best of it as FSX won't let me.

I read somewhere that some addons have a better autogen by default and you wouldn't need to max the autogen slidder to get better realism or something like this... is that right? could someone explain that?

And if that is right, I could be totally thinking the wrong way as the more addons the better FSX would run.

Just wanna share this. Thanks for all I read, I will try something tomorrow.

Any clarifications are deeply welcome.

cheers.

This was the first time I ran FSX on my new Machine (i7 3,4GHz ; 16gb RAM ; GTX570 1,2GB)

Was a clean naked FSX Deluxe with SP1. NO ADDONS.

Theres really no excuse for not installing SP2 as a minimum.

• Upvote 1

Theres really no excuse for not installing SP2 as a minimum.

Ohh I know, but I am trying to find Acceleration to install it... but it's kinda hard.

If I do not find it I will just try getting SP2 from MS's website.

thanks.

Or just buy FSX Gold, I got my copy of gold for something stupid like £15 from one of the online retailers and then chucked away my old Deluxe and Acc discs :lol:

• Deputy Sheriffs

Yeah, if you can find it, FSX can be really cheap when you do. I was at Paul Allen's seriously great aviation museum at Paine Field, WA, (check this link) the other day day and they were running a two for one sale on ACC. $30 for the pair. Almost made me buy it just for a spare(s).

O guys, thanks for the support and hints. Unfortunaly and don't live in US and here in São Paulo, Brazil, there's just no place where to find it. But, on a glimpse of luck a friend of mine had it. =)

What I did was installing Acceleration with the SP2.. tunning down a couple slidders on the graffics... I also got a patch to fix some DX10 bugs so it would smoth the FPS and dont give those anoying texures bugs on airports and the progressive taxi bug. I also wrote in the fsx.cfg that line HIGHMEMFIX=1. There was a major post in a Avsim forum in a link above very helpful. Anyone reading this still with the problem check that out, it's a reply with 4 steps. I did only one cuz the others required some skills which i dont have haha.

So now its going smooth, but not that much when it comes to airports like KORD with the light bloom, REX and Traffic, just give some lag. (not to mention that KORDs main terminal building just disappeared after DX10 I belive.)

Now i am having some issues with a few sceneries from Aerosoft's Sharm el Shiekt and ImagineSim's KLGA... but I belive it's everything about the DX10. Will look for those problems latter on other posts and forums.

Thanks too all.

Could just some good soul acknowlegdeif this is right:

"I read somewhere that some addons have a better autogen by default and you wouldn't need to max the autogen slidder to get better realism or something like this... is that right? could someone explain that?"

Thanks and good luck for your countries, whatever they are, in the great Olympic games. What a beautiful event.

(i will take some time to answer as the site allows me only 2 posts till the 29th.

Cheers!!

• 3 weeks later...

Hello everyone,

I don't know if this has already been asked somewhere (if so, please excuse me, as I'm a new member in this forum), but I'd like to know if a computer with 4 GB ram and windows vista 64 bits would run FSX with Airbus X, World of Ai and Aerosoft Mega Airports without getting "out of memory" errors. I'm asking this because I'm currently using a computer with 4 gb ram but with windows vista 32 bits (which gives more or less 3.3 gb of ram) and when I fly from Aerosoft Zurich 2012 to Aerosoft Paris Orly, nothing happens (although I can see sometimes some strange spikes raising in the air when changing views, which I assume are due to lack of availabre memory), but if I fly from Madrid Barrajas to Aerosoft Paris Orly I get one of those "out of memory" messages.

Do you think this small amount of ram (from 3.3gb to 4 gb) will be enough not to get those errors?

Thanks in advance

Hello everyone,

I don't know if this has already been asked somewhere (if so, please excuse me, as I'm a new member in this forum), but I'd like to know if a computer with 4 GB ram and windows vista 64 bits would run FSX with Airbus X, World of Ai and Aerosoft Mega Airports without getting "out of memory" errors. I'm asking this because I'm currently using a computer with 4 gb ram but with windows vista 32 bits (which gives more or less 3.3 gb of ram) and when I fly from Aerosoft Zurich 2012 to Aerosoft Paris Orly, nothing happens (although I can see sometimes some strange spikes raising in the air when changing views, which I assume are due to lack of availabre memory), but if I fly from Madrid Barrajas to Aerosoft Paris Orly I get one of those "out of memory" messages.

Do you think this small amount of ram (from 3.3gb to 4 gb) will be enough not to get those errors?

Thanks in advance

Hi. Firstly you must understand that FSX is a 32-bit program which means that it will only use a Max of 4GB. So you could have all the RAM in the world and still get an 'Out of Memory' (OOM).

It all comes down to how detailed/complex the addons are that you are running and how much memory they use. Your FSX slider settings can also impact this.

Naturally, more RAM is better, particularly on a 64-bit OS that uses >4GB. Now, whilst this does not benefit FSX, the additional RAM in your system can be used to run the OS and any applications running in the background, potentially giving FSX enough free RAM to use its 4GB limit if required.

The spikes you are seeing are not RAM related. It's an indication that your graphics card is being pushed too hard. Perhaps, back off on the sliders and this may help reduce the occurence of OOM too.

Thank you for your answer! One thing I've noticed is that every time I get an "out of memory" error those spikes are present. Does that mean that the problem is probably only related to pushing too much from my graphics card (and not related to the amount of availabe ram) or is it just a coincidence? If it is only related to the graphics card, will changing from 32 to 64 bits then make any difference at all (provided that I reduce my FSX settings)?

Thank you for your answer! One thing I've noticed is that every time I get an "out of memory" error those spikes are present. Does that mean that the problem is probably only related to pushing too much from my graphics card (and not related to the amount of availabe ram) or is it just a coincidence? If it is only related to the graphics card, will changing from 32 to 64 bits then make any difference at all (provided that I reduce my FSX settings)?

With respect to the graphics card going to a 64 bit system will make little difference. The graphics card is not causing the OOM. You have two indications that you are pushing your system too hard due to addons and settings, the first is your OOM and the second your graphics card. I don't know what card you have, but a better card would likely solve the spike issues.

You may gain some headroom by going to a 64bit system and sufficient RAM, which will help with complex addons and high settings. But ultimately you only have 4GB to play with in FSX, so at the end of the day you may still be faced with turning things down a bit.

Try reducing your settings and see if this helps with both the OOM and the graphics spikes.