Can someone explain Prepar3d a little to me ?

Paul K

Here are my assumptions about P3D. Please correct me if I am wrong, as I really would like to get this all sorted out in my mind.

1) Lockheed Martin bought the rights to FSX from Microsoft.

2) Lockheed Martin is now developing FSX, and have renamed it Prepar3D.

3) P3D is intended as a serious training aid for pilots and student pilots.

Questions:

Q1 ) What are the licenses ? I see P3D is sold as a complete and rather expensive product, but there are various licenses; developers licence, monthly subscription, and now an academic license, all of which are cheaper.

Q2 ) If you choose one of these licenses, do you get all of P3D, the same as if you had bought it outright, or are there features left out of it ? Basically, what are the differences in the product, if any, based on which license you have ?

Q3) If P3D is a development of FSX, what FSX add-ons are compatible ? All of them ? Only certain ones ? None of them - they have to be re-coded for P3D ?

Any and all information gratefully received. No doubt, there will be further questions... :)

• Aerosoft

1) as a normal user on the the $49 academic is useful. For that sum you simply buy the sim and get free updates.

2) full product, only difference is that there is a small logo on screen.

3) it is FSX. Just with a slightly different interface (much better btw), some bugs solved, about 10% faster, certainly a lot smoother and wityh more development on the way. In principle most add-ons should be compatible, but as folder names are different the installers need to be made for Prepar3D. We also know of some add-ons that hook so deep into FS they need to be changed before they will work.

• Upvote 1

1) as a normal user on the the $49 academic is useful. For that sum you simply buy the sim and get free updates.

Mathijs, thanks for your response, but I don't understand. At their store, the retail license is $199 while the academic license is only $49.95. Yet you say the only difference is that the retail license version has a small logo on the screen. An extra $140 just for a logo ? Surely there must be more to it than that... :huh:

3) it is FSX. Just with a slightly different interface (much better btw), some bugs solved, about 10% faster, certainly a lot smoother and wityh more development on the way. In principle most add-ons should be compatible, but as folder names are different the installers need to be made for Prepar3D. We also know of some add-ons that hook so deep into FS they need to be changed before they will work.

Can the current FSX installers be pointed to a temporary location and the resulting folders (model, panel, sound etc. ) be renamed before pasting them into P3D ? Or is it not quite so simple as that ?

And a new question; I read somewhere that Lockheed Martin had fixed DX10 so that its no longer a 'preview' but is used all the time by DX10-compatible cards...is that true?

Many thanks for your help. :)

• Aerosoft

Mathijs, thanks for your response, but I don't understand. At their store, the retail license is $199 while the academic license is only $49.95. Yet you say the only difference is that the retail license version has a small logo on the screen. An extra $140 just for a logo ? Surely there must be more to it than that... :huh:

No, it's 100% the same code. But you are not allowed to use the Academic version fore professional purposes, so while the software is the same, the user license is different. You also get no access to the developers network, but to be honest fsdevelopers.com is more useful.

Can the current FSX installers be pointed to a temporary location and the resulting folders (model, panel, sound etc. ) be renamed before pasting them into P3D ? Or is it not quite so simple as that ?

For many simpler product that would work, but a more complex add-on really needs it's own installer. We are working hard to create those (see: http://en.shop.aerosoft.com/eshop.php?action=catalog_list&s_group_id=066&shopfilter_category=Flight%20Simulation&s_design=DEFAULT&s_language=english&PHPSESSID_aerosoft_esales=tb83k3dh46n4ktq9nje3086sf5)

And a new question; I read somewhere that Lockheed Martin had fixed DX10 so that its no longer a 'preview' but is used all the time by DX10-compatible cards...is that true?

Mmmm it works better then in FSX for sure. And they are working on DX11 capacity and that would mean a huge boost.

http://www.prepar3d....nse-comparison/

Tells you all you need to know about which version is for whom.

The fact is that L-M offer a 60-day money back guarantee for the product so you can try whatever version you like for yourself and decide for yourself whether it fits the bill. Or not.

Personally, I'd wait until the DX11 version. This will involve substantial core code advancement an order of magnitude above the dabbling they've done so far.

At that point it may even be worth the $199...

1: As Prepar3D is not for the personal/consumer entertainment product as stated in their Prepar3D license comparaison, and since I don't qualify under the umbrella's of any of the other licenses can somebody tell me how can it be possible for me to use Prepar3D in good faith?

2: To whom is already using Prepar3D can you tell me what more I'll get over this vid. I made?

This vid. was made for testing, everything maxed out but car traffic at 20%, all FPS killers enable, bloom, full clouds coverage, lightning +++., keep an eye on the FPS counter...(unlimited), is FSX perfect....naaaaa but show me what Prepar3D maxed out can do with a vid. over FSX.

Will the developers make you pay to have your sceneries (you already paid for) patched up for DX11 using Prepar3D when available?

Many folks argue that they are using P3D for educational purposes - to teach themselves about pracital aerodynamics, some geography, airspace etc.

If you develop some add-ons, even if small, you could argue that you need your development license so that you can keep your product compatibile...

1: As Prepar3D is not for the personal/consumer entertainment product as stated in their Prepar3D license comparaison, and since I don't qualify under the umbrella's of any of the other licenses can somebody tell me how can it be possible for me to use Prepar3D in good faith?

2: To whom is already using Prepar3D can you tell me what more I'll get over this vid. I made?

This vid. was made for testing, everything maxed out but car traffic at 20%, all FPS killers enable, bloom, full clouds coverage, lightning +++., keep an eye on the FPS counter...(unlimited), is FSX perfect....naaaaa but show me what Prepar3D maxed out can do with a vid. over FSX.

Will the developers make you pay to have your sceneries (you already paid for) patched up for DX11 using Prepar3D when available?

No need to pontificate. I've already provided the link to the expected market.

You either read it or you don't.

You either qualify, or you don't.

You either buy it, or you don't.

Nothing about ownership of this software is compulsory, except for the licence to use it.

At no point have YOU ever disagreed that Flight Simulator had an educational benefit, so why try to pick a fight now? That ship has sailed, and you ain't on it.

Mathijs, thanks for this explanation, I also haven't really understood the progression of P3D, although I understand it's likely to be one of several products with the potential to replace FSX. The plus side for me is definately the ability to transfer FSX products over as I've spent a lot of money on FSX so far, although I won't purchase P3D until I can be 100% sure the NGX and my favourite sceneries will be supported etc.

Might I suggest a pinned thread somewhere in the forums that explains the new simulators that are up and coming? For example, the description of P3D that you have just given, a description of X-plane 10 and maybe this new GNU TestPilot "FSvNext" that I've come across.

There seem to be several new sims on the horizon, each offering different things. I think therefore that it could be quite benefical to the FS community if there was someplace we could all view the potential replacements to FSX, and have them clearly explained so we can see where they all fit in with our own situations!

Chris

No need to pontificate. I've already provided the link to the expected market.

You either read it or you don't.

You either qualify, or you don't.

You either buy it, or you don't.

Nothing about ownership of this software is compulsory, except for the licence to use it.

At no point have YOU ever disagreed that Flight Simulator had an educational benefit, so why try to pick a fight now? That ship has sailed, and you ain't on it.

Simon,

Thank you very much for your fast and greatful reply.

My post may have being perceived (by you or others) as pompous or should I say a little pretentious, I can assure you that my intentions were pure.

Please, I urge you to show me, your humble Evans reader, where I wrote that Prepar3D had no educational benefits, what can I do if after asking some fair questions one reader perceive them as picking a fight?

You catch more flies with honey than vinegar, so I'll ask again, after viewing my vid. poster above, can you (or other readers) show me in what area is Prepar3D better, a vid. showing Prepar3D in action under the same conditions as my vid. will be welcome for comparison purposes.

Before I forget and with all due respect, whatever floats your boat is fine with me.

It seems pretty certain that PMDG's NGX will never be supported in Prepar3D for retail consumers, i,e, you and me and anyone else who uses P3D at home.

See this post by Robert.

No, it's 100% the same code. But you are not allowed to use the Academic version fore professional purposes, so while the software is the same, the user license is different. You also get no access to the developers network, but to be honest fsdevelopers.com is more useful.

Ah, that explains it...thanks Mathijs!

For many simpler product that would work, but a more complex add-on really needs it's own installer. We are working hard to create those (see: http://en.shop.aeros...4ktq9nje3086sf5)

Mathijs, how soon could a Huey installer be released ? The thing is, I have a friend who once flew helicopters and is considering a civil aviation simulator...and he particularly would like a Huey !

Mmmm it works better then in FSX for sure. And they are working on DX11 capacity and that would mean a huge boost.

Interesting news for sure. I think I might go for the Academic license ( thanks for the heads up on that, Shaun )

It seems pretty certain that PMDG's NGX will never be supported in Prepar3D for retail consumers, i,e, you and me and anyone else who uses P3D at home.

See this post by Robert.

Good info, Konrad. If I were to buy P3D, I'd like their MD-11 inside it ( and their recently announced DC-6B ). No doubt Rob will keep his policy under review.

I wouldn't be so sure about that. I think if Prepar3d now gets in a price range that is really affordable for every simmer and they improve the engine in a serious way (which actually seems so to me), I think this can't be ignored by any developer.

The fact I could use many of my FSX addons is the most valuable part for me. Other sims are no option the next years, because I have spent so much on addons I won't buy twice or again for another sim. I think a smoother and advenced FSX platform is the thing, most simmers could hop on.

No Flight or X-plane will do this in my opinion. X-plane is absolutely no option for me. I really see no advantage over FSX and as mentioned before, I will never throw all my addons away. So I will have an eye on Prepar3d how it progresses.

Sorry for asking again but can somebody show me a vid. of Prepar3D maxed out with 3PD scenery as I did above....I'm just trying to see the difference between both sim.

I hear that Prepar3D will be the bomb for the next 5 years, that Prepard3D as better perf., is smoother with better colors but I can't find a vid. showing all of that?

I suspect that Prepard3D may be running better on a mid range PC compare to FSX but run the same as FSX on a high end PC, I'm always welling to try something new but if some claims are made about Prepar3D being better I would like to see it.

Mathijs, this question is for you, I also have a ton of 3PD scenery and I would like to know if Aerosoft will charge a fee to make the scenery I already have from you DX11 compatible or will it be a free upgrade?

I wouldn't be so sure about that. I think if Prepar3d now gets in a price range that is really affordable for every simmer and they improve the engine in a serious way (which actually seems so to me), I think this can't be ignored by any developer.

My understanding is that this has little, if anything, to do with price. The sticking point for PMDG is likely to be their licensing agreement with Boeing. None of this is to say that PMDG will not release the NGX for P3D. They probably will but it will cost thousands and it will be against the EULA for us (retail consumers) to use it.

My understanding is that this has little, if anything, to do with price. The sticking point for PMDG is likely to be their licensing agreement with Boeing. None of this is to say that PMDG will not release the NGX for P3D. They probably will but it will cost thousands and it will be against the EULA for us (retail consumers) to use it.

Ah ok, didn't know that Konrad. Thanks for the info. I'm still struggling with myself, if I should waste some money and give Prepar3D a try :P .

In my opinion it will likely end up being a waste of both money and, perhaps more importantly, time.

Those talking about P3D and DX11 need to realise two things: a] it will likely be a long while yet before P3D is DX11 capable and, b] a DX11 P3D will break compatibility with ALL existing add-ons (which makes you wonder how much LM really want/need it) and there is no chance that any add-on developer or publisher will update their add-ons to DX11 free of charge. I reckon DX11 add-ons will be full price, I'll put ten of her majesty's pound sterling on it.