A request: AES Lite for all airports?

Bryn

I use FS9, but recently tried GSX on FSX. What I liked about it was that it could be used at any airport, and that the pushback tracked the AFD file.

I reckon it would be great to see an AES lite, that runs at all airports like GSX does, but doesn't have the customisation that goes into all of the AES airports at the moment. I'd be happy for it not to have moving jetways, for instance.

What I really value is the pushback and ground ops, and if these could just read directly from the FS9 afd bgl, that would be awesome.

You could add it and charge 20 credits or whatever, for it to work at any airport where AES is not installed.

Cheers,

Bryn

• Upvote 2

AES Lite is a features that the developer of a 3rd party scenery can choose to include. Oliver Pabst has to custom make the AES Lite traffic on every airport that wants to include it. I think AES Lite is quite an expensive feature for scenery developers because not all developers can or want to include it.

AES Lite is nothing like GSX...

• Upvote 1

Hmmm, I think I misused the AES Lite term, because it has already been used for a developer product. So people (like KLM737) read my post, but all they see is 'AES lite', and not what I'm actually writing.

What I am actually proposing is a simple AES that can be rolled out automatically at any airport, like GSX. The apron and taxiway paths are in the AFD files, and I assume this is what GSX uses for pushback paths. Why not do the same with AES? Jetways need to be custom added, so Oliver could just leave them out.

Bryn.

It isn't quite that simple. Oliver customizes more than just the jetways for AES, which is obvious if you use both products on a regular basis. Virtuali filled the gap with default airports and payware that Oliver can't do, but I wouldn't expect Oliver to follow Virtuali's lead and make AES work everywhere. He's a developer, and AES puts food on his table.

The problem with AFCAD lines is exactly that - they are just AFCAD lines. They are designed for something completely different, and while sometimes this kind of pushback will work fairly well, even most times, if you are willing to sacrifice a small bit of realism, it can never come close to the level we all are accostumed to in AES.

Apart from the obvious problem of has pushback/has no pushback/what direction, in the airport/stand properties, take a look at this video:

The actual pushback starts at 0:52.

Well in AFCAD driven pushback you basically have two possibilities:

-In the better case, the program will push you back into the fence, or building even. If there are no crashboxes, you may taxi out.

-In the worse case, the program will detect, that there is no taxiline there, and will attempt to push you to the other side. You will end up facing the stand you just came out of, with nowhere else to go.

Neither of that is acceptable for me, just as it is not acceptable for me to get pushback where there is none, like in say LZKZ or on original drive-thru stands at LZIB couple years back. That is why I prefer AES to GSX any day.

• 2 weeks later...

I asked Oliver a couple of years ago about a lite version of AES (I am not talking about what today is meant by AES lite). He was thinking about it he said. What I mean with a lite version is where you get functions which are related to aircraft parameters only (vehicles and stairs) and not to the aiport (jetways and pushback and follow me car). I fly (FS9) a lot in Scandinavia and few FS9 airports there have AES (only ENBR, ESSA, EKCH, EKRN and some airports in Finland). I especially like to fly to the small airports in northern Norway, some with thrilling approaches of which none have AES. Most of them do not have jetways so there is no need for speically prepared airports. And for those that have jetways there are normalley some gates without jetways which you can use (or you could pretend that the jetways do not function today). But just having stairs, catering, fuel and luggage vehicles would make a big difference. As it is now the airports are very empty and dead. Push back can be done with the push back function in fs9 or some planes have their own push back engine (in most really small airports you park the planes so no push back is needed).

Regarding payment there are two possibilites. One is to pay a few Euros for each airport where you use AES Basic (or whatever it would be called). The other is to take a reasonable price once and for all (let us say 30 Euros). The Basic version would not compete with the full version AES so there is nothing to loose for Aerosoft as far as I can see.

Krister R

Uppsala, Sweden

Virtuali filled the gap with default airports and payware that Oliver can't do, but I wouldn't expect Oliver to follow Virtuali's lead and make AES work everywhere. He's a developer, and AES puts food on his table.

Sure but Virtualli also are developpers and need food on their table....

I really think Aerosoft & Oliver have to rethink their strategy for FSX.... I won't talk about FS9 because AES has a monopoly. But for FSX, Virtually shaked the table badly....

I was a FS9 user and have more than 15 AES packs.... But I'm progressively switching to FSX and it really might change the deal.... I haven't bought GSX yet but I start to wonder if it is still worth it to spend around $7 for every airport just to have animated jetways when GSX can do almost all the other "work" for a one $30 buy, covering any airport...

I'm waiting to see what AES NG has in it's bag but Bryn's idea about a kind of Aerosoft GSX really seems the way to go....

• Upvote 1