VMO-1 European-1 wrap around camo repaint

rsoftokz

Hello

OV-10A USMC VMO-1 155447 in a wrap around european camo with flares dispensers added (on the texture and on the bump dds)

2012229214347799.jpg

201222921449759.jpg

201222921492381.jpg

201222921500347.jpg

2012229215056323.jpg

2012229215120404.jpg

next step before uploading : woodland camo suit and helmets for the pilots....

David Rsoftokz

Hello

OV-10A USMC VMO-1 155447 in a wrap around european camo with flares dispensers added (on the texture and on the bump dds)

2012229214347799.jpg

201222921449759.jpg

201222921492381.jpg

201222921500347.jpg

2012229215056323.jpg

2012229215120404.jpg

next step before uploading : woodland camo suit and helmets for the pilots....

David Rsoftokz

That's pretty good, but the walkway should be one color. And the flight suits should be green sage with the helmets being gray. I was at VMO-1 in the eighties and that's how the aircraft were. BuNo 155447 was a D model as well. Here's a link to a website with all the bureau numbers.

http://www.joebaugher.com/navy_serials/thirdseries19.html

here is a picture "before" it was "converted into a D" (like we can read on the link you sent)

1284911f.jpg

as you can see my pattern is NOT exactly the same, mostly inspired by D's pictures I found on the web as it is hard to guess the exact camo pattern with only one picture.

for now, my camo is "almost new", not hardly weathered as we can see on the picture. maybe I'll let it this way, maybe it will be weathered . I don't really know for now.

as you can see, there is a mix on the plane with "usual" stencils and markings and "camo inverted" ones... so you might be right about the walkway to be one black color, or I might be right it was inverted camo....

about the pilots, they used to have the CWU-27P flightsuit in sage green AND/OR the AirCrew BDU in Woodland camo (or eventually in ERDL camo if you are talking about a Bronco during the Vietnam war close to the end of the conflict). HGU Helmets were light gull grey or white , most of time camouflaged with tape.

dscn2926600.jpg

most of time, pilots have been seen with SRU-21 survival vest, or equivalent and a LPUs... equipments that have not been modelled by Aerosoft...

afterall, who cares ??? any one can choose this repaint or yours or any other one.....

it seems we had the same ideas about the repaints to do for the BroncoX in the same time....

so what ? it is the best thing for all the community to have the choice and to choose the most "pleasant" repaint on their onw opinion...

thank you for your comment and congrats for the repaints you've done for the Bronco.

David

It seems that I have been hoisted by my own petard. I should have looked at my first repaint, same bureau number. I do remember that 155447 was converted sometime around 1988 or so. During my time with VMO-1 the helmets were white (Some with YAZOO in red on the visor shield) . A grey cloth cover was sometimes placed over the helmet for low vis as the white reflective tape on the helmet really shined. I'm not familiar with the SRU-21, it must be airforce equipment. The Navy and Marines wore an integrated LPU with the SV-2 survival vest. Different helmets as well. Any how, it is a game after all and it's all about individual preferences.

you are right: SV-2 for Navy and USMC pilots with the LPU-10 or 21 ( I have one Helo crew converted SV-2 with an attached LPU-21)

the SRU-21 was used by USAF crewmans.

and as you said, all is about individual preferences in FSX, but I can see both of us seem to like our repaints to be the most accurate ones as it is possible.

as I said before, great job you did on your several repaints (I was planed to do also but now I guess I will let the USMC ones I planed to do and give priority to the USAF ones I planed to do too)

thank you for the kind informations you gave.

It's always an great honor for me to talk with a veteran of the US Forces

(I'm former french military and law enforcement officer trying to give now some beautifull colors to the beautifull virtual planes we can have on FSX)

David

• 2 weeks later...

Hello there

the texture is on upload actually on SIMVIATION

just watch the FSX>payware category in the next hours where it should be available.

new pilots faces have been added

woodland ACBDU, SV-2B and MA- torso Harness and camo tape on helmets added too

David