The Big MS Flight Topic

Weiß jemand wieso Flight nur auf meinem Sekundärmonitor startet? Ich kann es einfach nicht auf meinem Hauptbildschirm zum laufen bekommen...

• Aerosoft

Weiß jemand wieso Flight nur auf meinem Sekundärmonitor startet? Ich kann es einfach nicht auf meinem Hauptbildschirm zum laufen bekommen...

I seen that myself. Had to run it in a maximized window instead of fullscreen to solve it. Not too bad as it runs better in a windows (just as FSX btw).

I seen that myself. Had to run it in a maximized window instead of fullscreen to solve it. Not too bad as it runs better in a windows (just as FSX btw).

How do I get it in a windowed mode? Alt+Enter (as in FSX) doesn't work...

Anyway I have to say that the flightdynamics are really bad, just like the damagemodel, or however they call it...

• Upvote 1

• Aerosoft

I am surprised so many people call FLIGHT a free demo. That is not at all as I understand it. And I certainly did not get that impression from the discussions with Microsoft we had over the last month. What you see is what you get. There will not be a 'bigger' version, there will only be DLC that expands the game. Some of the DLC might have new options but adding stuff like AI traffic or real time weather is very hard to add later on without serious rewriting.

And even DLC is not as straight forward as it seems. If you want to cover even a small country the way Hawaii is done we are talking about many of gigabytes. X_plane 10 covers the whole world 'on the fly' created content. And that is 90 Gb of compressed data.

@Emi:

In the opening "Options" screen - select a screen resolution smaller than your monitor and only then uncheck the fullscreen box. If you leave it the same size as your main screen, you will have problems trying to resize smaller.

• Aerosoft

IIf you want a more expanded read on how I, personally, see FLIGHT, read what has just been posted on ASN: http://asn.aerosoft.com/?p=3609. Below I posted the start of the column. Please keep in mind this is my opinion and not directly the opinion of Aerosoft.

The short version

I got no idea why so many people are up in arms about a game that has one aircraft, one island, no weather, no AI traffic, no ATC and graphics that are moderate at best, sound that is even worse than FS2004 (bye bye sound cones), it forces me to create an XBOX account with an avatar (all look like teenagers on crack). And finally, it forces me to be online for many things and just handed me a Coconut Bra. I mean, it is a fine free game and the best free simulator I have ever seen, but it has very little to do with what we call our hobby.

Why do we care?

The long version

MS FLIGHT is by far the most controversial release of the long-standing line of Flight Simulators from Microsoft. After more than 20 years they change the whole idea and ‘abandon’ the many loyal MS Flight Simulation fans. I don’t like it, but I understand it. The ever increase in realism made the target group smaller and smaller and PC games are just not doing very well. Microsoft likes young people to buy games and old folks to buy Office. To get out of this hopeless corner, they reinvented Flight Simulator and squarely aim at a new group of customers. Simpler, faster, gamer look alike and above all, modern. I predicted this when they announced FSX and I was just one version of. ......... http://asn.aerosoft.com/?p=3609

• Upvote 1

I am surprised so many people call FLIGHT a free demo. That is not at all as I understand it. And I certainly did not get that impression from the discussions with Microsoft we had over the last month. What you see is what you get. There will not be a 'bigger' version, there will only be DLC that expands the game. Some of the DLC might have new options but adding stuff like AI traffic or real time weather is very hard to add later on without serious rewriting.

And even DLC is not as straight forward as it seems. If you want to cover even a small country the way Hawaii is done we are talking about many of gigabytes. X_plane 10 covers the whole world 'on the fly' created content. And that is 90 Gb of compressed data.

It is for all intents and purposes a demo, and a time unlimited one at that. You get a small area and not in full detail either, one aircraft with the option of a second for "free" if you are willing to give Microsoft your personal data, which of course gives you the additional stress (in my eyes as an IT systems and security man) of the hotmail account, and that is it. All additional content will be premium. Let someone tell me what the previews are, please. I get the impression that they are non-functioning, though I may be wrong.

I don't like the payment model of in-app purchases, and I am wary as to the possible security issues. If the interface is in any way compromised, how quickly could my payment card data be compromised? I see nothing of the encryption technology employed. My not liking this model has kept me away from RoF too.

It is nice to see that one can write critically about Flight without being warned, banned or whatever. Such words as my post here at another big flight simulation forum would have most likely led to my post bring removed or me being warned, if not banned. That is a worrying aspect.

I got no idea why so many people are up in arms about a game that has one aircraft, one island, no weather, no AI traffic, no ATC and graphics that are moderate at best, sound that is even worse than FS2004 (bye bye sound cones), it forces me to create an XBOX account with an avatar (all look like teenagers on crack). And finally, it forces me to be online for many things and just handed me a Coconut Bra.

Haha!! :hahaha_s:

You are funny Mathijs

I mean, it is a fine free game and the best free simulator I have ever seen, but it has very little to do with what we call our hobby.

So true.

Mathijs, you hit my feelings well and truly on the nail. I am disappointed with this non-event. It is evident why Microsoft dropped Simulator from the title. A simulator it is not. And a game it will forever remain without a major overhaul of elements.

Andrew

Wow...........

I guess I and my "crackhead" avatar friends will wander off to spread our credit card info to the world through Microsoft's compromised credit card system. That done, we will fly over huge crowds of "abandoned" and hard core simmers in our "dumbed-down" missile-armed stearmans to drop our cargo of deadly coconut bras and.......

Am I summing up the vibe correctly, so far?

Alrighty then......... :lurk_s:

• Upvote 1

• Aerosoft

It is nice to see that one can write critically about Flight without being warned, banned or whatever. Such words as my post here at another big flight simulation forum would have most likely led to my post bring removed or me being warned, if not banned. That is a worrying aspect.

Indeed indeed.

• Aerosoft

Want hear something great about FLIGHT? I just heard from two nephews (13 and 15) they downloaded it and they loved it. I showed them FSX a few times and they never got it.

And boy, do we need fresh blood in this hobby. Most our customers are as old as I am, 262

• Upvote 2

This is true and a breath of fresh air.

When i had my account suspended due to technical fault earlier i thought it was because i wrote Microsoft s##te but it goes to show that we can speak our minds here.

Kudos to Aerosoft!

• Upvote 1

Seems like Lockheed still is our best bet...... but they have the license problem :-(

Agreed, the only issue with the licensing is the 10 bucks a month or 500 bucks one off fee. But I guess that can be justified quite easily as it will keep me out of mischief for hours and quite possibly out of the Old Bailey :lol:

Want hear something great about FLIGHT? I just heard from two nephews (13 and 15) they downloaded it and they loved it. I showed them FSX a few times and they never got it.

And boy, do we need fresh blood in this hobby. Most our customers are as old as I am, 262

Awesome I'm in the minority :funkychick_s:

• Aerosoft

Mathijs, I heard you were planning to write a review of FLIGHT! and I was looking forward to that. Will you still do that?

Not by me. Angelique (chief editor of ASN) asked me but after I had to make a avatar (my teenager on crack), got a Coconut Bra award and found out that ALL the issue the beta testers complained about were not addressed (no AI Traffic, no serious weather, no ATC etc) I decided it was better not to review something that clearly is not intended for our customers and our readers. Right now it is game. And we don't do games, we do simulations. So it's ended up as a column on MSFS with some comments on FLIGHT

BUT it is a great game, it's a free game and it will get a lot of young people interested. Strange as it sounds, I like it. Already removed it from my disk, but I still like it a lot. In the end it will be good news for serious simmers as we get new people interested.

• Upvote 2

• Aerosoft

Agreed, the only issue with the licensing is the 10 bucks a month or 500 bucks one off fee.

I think the price will go down and even then, $10 is very acceptable for a serious hobby. Just today a fine customer (our latest best friend in fact) ordered for $3900 in our shop. That 390 months of Prepar3D.

• Upvote 1

Yes it really isn't a whole lot of money, its what a couple of pints a month? People pay a lot more to go to a gym each month. Its a different way of paying for your hobby, us flight simmers are a bit hesitant when it comes to change lol.

I would like to add that things must be done to welcome our new simmer friends should they decide to arrive here some time.

That means: less RTFM-comments, more friendly tone when replying to noob-questions

Otherwise they'll head back to Hawaii.

• Upvote 4

• Aerosoft

I would like to add that things must be done to welcome our new simmer friends should they decide to arrive here some time.

That means: less RTFM-comments, more friendly tone when replying to noob-questions

Otherwise they'll head back to Hawaii.

VERY good point.

I love flight simulators; always have done.

The first one I used was on a Sinclair Spectrum 48k some time ago.... ok, it was not that much of a simulator but it was fun...

I'm sure there will be a market for Flight! and I'm sure a lot of people will really enjoy it. Great, but I'm personally not in the slightest interested.

I've jumped ship and am having great fun with XP10 and I am not looking back.

I'm having fun with the CRJ, SSJ, Pilatus, etc

There have been some great announcements recently with Aerosoft, PMDG, etc moving towards Xplane.

So in summary there is room for all tastes. Where's my ATR?

No, disagree with Templehoff. What needs be done here is to educate those new simmer friends that this is not the place to talk about a game, or `skins`, or avatars - or any of the childish baloney, it's a place where serious hobbyists come to completely ignore the written instructions and ask blatantly foolish questions for the gazillionth time.

Rather than welcome those kinds of simmers I'd rather they went and `Flight`ed. It costs nothing, so they can FOC off as far as I'm concerned...

What we need instead is a fresh influx of the keen students, the anxious-to-learners, who used to form the core of this hobby, those who realise the patheticisms of the new toy, but actually want to get involved in the business and pleasure of pilotage and migrate across precisely because it's a more adult location.

And if THEY have a better experience because of the absence of the pre-pubescents who are making machine gun noises or flying through fiery hoops for medals then everybody gains.

If Flight can keep the neanderthals entertained, then it might truly serve a purpose for the flight SIMULATION fraternity. But it's bugger-all use to most of us here...

• Upvote 3