How big is your screen?

Dear all,

I currently run a 26'' display at highest resolution but still the view is somehow limited by the software. In my opinion gauges could be smaller and scenery could be larger. I zoom down to 0.30 in most aircraft to have a better (bigger) but that is also not the best solution. I sometimes see in the specs of other users that they use 40’’ TVs as a display and wonder if there is a benefit.

Alternatively I assume it is best to use multiple monitor systems or Track IR.

Please share your experience with all of us.

Will check back and let you know once I am back at home.

But for the moment I think: The monitor (Fujitsu Amilo SL 3260W ) provides a resolution of 1.920 x 1.200 and FSX is at its highest resolution (like 1920 * 1200?).

Personally I use 3 screens to give me some representation of peripheral vision. I use a 37" screen on my test and development machine but I couldnt fly with the restricted view you get from having just one screen.

I'm using a Dell 3011U 30'' monitor running FSX at 2560x1600, the highest single monitor resolution at the moment. I did use to run FSX on my Sony HDTV 40'' TV which was pretty impressive but still only 1920x1080, whereas the more pixels = the more details. I also use TrackIR occasionally but TBH, at my resolution, you can see pretty much most things.

I have a 24" display running at 1920*1080 and it's awesome since I changed this in my fsx.cfg :

WideViewAspect=True (false before)

I am grateful for any hint how to improve the visual output (not that I suffer to much though).

Can you give me a little explanation of what the result will be?

Thanks, Till

I am grateful for any hint how to improve the visual output (not that I suffer to much though).

Can you give me a little explanation of what the result will be?

Thanks, Till

More things fit on your screen. The default screen is not for widescreen in FSX, so you have to change it in your .cfg . Try it out! You can change it any time if you don't like it.

Changing WideViewAspect from false to true basically changes the aspect ratio of FSX from 4:3 to what ever your monitor might be, so for 1920*1080 with would be 16:9.

Thanks Matt,

the change indeed improved the view in the cockpit substantially. Using a zoom of 0.5 is much better than using 0.3 with the old setting.

Using a 24' Monitor 1920 x 1200.

Its kind of an odd duck, being one of the few S-pva displays. I love the extra color fidelity and wider viewing angles over regular monitors.

You pay for it, though.

I run FSX on a 50'' FullHD Panasonic plasma TV.

I wonder if it would be better to invest in one bigger screen or in one or two other smaller screens or just use TrackIR...

Has anyone an opinion with regard to multi-monitor cockpits versus TrackIR? Or has anyone tried this jDome-system?

I got three 17" displays that are connected to a Matrox Triplehead2Go Digital. Each of them is runnig at 1280x1024 so that makes my full display run at 3840x1024. It gives a nice view.

I use 3x 24 inch monitors from HP with a IPS technology for wide viewing angle with a Asus 6950 GPU and i7 2600k overclocked to 4,6 Ghz and it runs smooth like silk when I limit the frames to 30 per second. The efficiency of such overclocked CPUs is making multimonitor configs efficient these days, even when you crank up eyecandy options and fly over cities and to large airports with complex airplanes. And did I mention that I use track IR too in that combination because sometimes I feel a lack of vertical resolution. I hesitated between this and a 30 inch monitor also with track IR.