Aerosoft Sim News

antoinebacker

You have been sneaking this one in under the radar but I got to say I seriously like your new site section Aerosoft Sim News. I visit most FS news sites (Fligthsim.com, simFlight, AVSIM etc) on a daily base but ASN almost never misses a new news and it often has news others do not have. I am surprised that Aerosoft does not use it to promote it's own services and products.

Is that policy?

• Upvote 1

• Aerosoft

Mmmm yes.

We really felt there was room for a news site that has more attention for the European news. It's kind of silly that the main FS news sites hardly spend a word on an event where 5000 FS enthusiast gather and where the latest developments are shown. Yet that is a fact. These are the worlds biggest events, there are many of them every year, but there is more attention about the AVSIM conferences that are NOT happening then about these events.

And we pay for this site and we'll never hide that. Angelique who runs the section is not employed by us, we provide her the services. She decided that the site should not do news on Aerosoft products because all that new is one click to the left or ASN. She also decided that they would do reviews of Aerosoft products but would let the readers know where it is posted.

But it's a mote issue. Almost any site has a shop almost any magazine is owned by a publisher who needs to sell the products shown in the magazine. The magazines without such links go under (and restart to go under again). We think the reader is not stupid and that being honest and open about these things is what readers appreciate.

Want to see this in action? If you read a review on a site, check the date it was posted. Now check if the same product is for sale on the shop linked with the site and check when the product has been added to the shop. If those dates are close you should at least know that. It does NOT mean the review is bad, I know 99% of them are not, but you got to see there is a commercial link. If there is a link under the review to the shop's site, you can be sure. The review is being used to advertise the product. Again, in principle nothing wrong with that as long as you, the reader, knows about that.

In the end, everybody who knows Angelique will agree she is no push-over. She has earned her stripes, she knows Airbusses inside out for example, she is very much a pro. If I ask her to post something she would just ignore me.

My congratulations for that site as well. I have followed it since nearly day 1 and I can confirm that it is unbiased, complete and interesting. Angelique does a fantastic job in bringing a bouquet of news not found anywhere else. You can clearly feel and see that a considerable amount of time and devotion goes into it.

Actually I consider its ties with Aerosoft a plus - because it is openly communicated and by that, a bias would be instantly noted.

Wish you all the best for this site. I know how much work it is - I have built one of those from zero to being the biggest independent one of its kind with millions of pageviews a month (although for a completely different genre), and my resect goes out for Angelique and what she is doing...

• Upvote 1

I agree, congratulations to Aerosoft and the site! It has up to date information daily, covering the many aspects of simming. All the best for the site, I clearly love it!

• Upvote 1

Congratulations on the site, it's superb. Within one day, I'd bookmarked ASN alongside AVSIM and Flightsim.com and now check it daily. It's already pointed me in the direction of resources and information not carried by other sites and shows all the same high standards and dedication we've come to expect of Aerosoft. Well done, very impressive.

Regards,

Ade

I like the site too, but I think you could change the colours or design a bit. I see what you're trying to do, having different colours for each of Aerosoft's mini-sites (blue for flight, red for train, green for ASN, etc.), but the green just does not work for me...

Maybe a different shade of green?

• Deputy Sheriffs

I like this new site a lot, especially the "Columns". Colours are always difficult as there are some rules about this, but I think your webdesigner knows about them. So for me, green is fine.

Another thing is access to a site and to its content and I think there is some room for improvement:

1. Access must be easy and with a minimum of clicks. So IMHO it would be excellent to make it possible to get access to all of you sites from within any Aerosoft site. Means I'm missing a link to ASN here in the forum.

2. Navigation within ASN: on the main page you have a navigation bar "Reviews - Columns- ...". When clicking on e.g. Columns/Simon Evans/Seven Stages... it leads me to the content, but going to another content needs more clicks then necessary.

3. Links should correlate with text/picture below: on the ASN site there is a title bar with the Aerosoft logo und 2 text areas. So when hoovering over those areas I can see that this is a link, and when hoovering over the Aerosoft logo I would expect to go to the Aerosoft site, but the complete area is linked to the main ASN site. This is not transparenz for the user, but should be by either showing a tooltip or indeed linking to what picture and text shows.

jm2c

Hey Otto,

See my reply in-between your comments.

Thanks by the way for your time and suggestions.

I like this new site a lot, especially the "Columns". Colours are always difficult as there are some rules about this, but I think your webdesigner knows about them. So for me, green is fine.

Another thing is access to a site and to its content and I think there is some room for improvement:

1. Access must be easy and with a minimum of clicks. So IMHO it would be excellent to make it possible to get access to all of you sites from within any Aerosoft site. Means I'm missing a link to ASN here in the forum.

This is up to Aerosoft since I have no control over this. It's an idea and it could be situated right next of the "Aerosoft Store" menu link. But again, I can't say anything about that.

2. Navigation within ASN: on the main page you have a navigation bar "Reviews - Columns- ...". When clicking on e.g. Columns/Simon Evans/Seven Stages... it leads me to the content, but going to another content needs more clicks then necessary.

I'm not fully with you. Could you explain it perhaps in a different way?

3. Links should correlate with text/picture below: on the ASN site there is a title bar with the Aerosoft logo und 2 text areas. So when hoovering over those areas I can see that this is a link, and when hoovering over the Aerosoft logo I would expect to go to the Aerosoft site, but the complete area is linked to the main ASN site. This is not transparenz for the user, but should be by either showing a tooltip or indeed linking to what picture and text shows.

A tooltip is for sure a good idea to add, but one of the reason that the whole green header brings to you back to ASN is because it represents normally the Home menu button (which is therefore not available in ASN) or, as with other Aerosoft sites, the word "Home" above the header. That's the reason behind this. Making the header clickable and bringing there reader back to the home page, is not unusual.

jm2c

• Deputy Sheriffs

I'm not fully with you. Could you explain it perhaps in a different way?

Hi Angelique,

this is what I mean: From the main page you have a menu:

But here you have no menu:

So you either have to use the browser back button or click on the title bar.

IMHO it would be nice to have the menu available here too.

OK, minor problem, I know :rolleyes:;)

Thanks Otto for your time and explanation.

Now I understand what you mean, but it was done on purpose.

The idea / my intention was ... when you click, either from the posting or from the menu "a column" or "review", a new window opens. That said, you never lose the original ASN page you were reading. When you're finished reading the column or review, you simple click that window away and you've got the original page back in view. Therefore, I wanted no menu's on the column and/or review page (different templates) also to keep it clean.

But Otto, I keep this remark in mind.

Hi Angelique,

this is what I mean: From the main page you have a menu:

But here you have no menu:

So you either have to use the browser back button or click on the title bar.

IMHO it would be nice to have the menu available here too.

OK, minor problem, I know :rolleyes:;)