Building FSX PC? ****please**please**please**** help me FS Pilots

Robby 2012

Hi pilots from all over the world :blowbubble_s: ,

I finally have decided to build my own FSX PC :excellenttext_s: !

and fly FS since 2000, always wanted a PC who can handle MAX settings because due to suffering from slow pc performance.

My Bday is coming up soon and my lovely Girlfriend have said yes to a powerful FSX PC :eyepop_s:

I've had enough from the slow flying and like to build my own.

I done a little research on the net and found out that the Intel i7 sandy Bridge 2600k 3.4 GHz 8MB is one of the CPU's to go with.

Also the Radeon HD 6850 a very good grafic card too.

The CPU cooler system is one of these Corsair Cooling Hydro Series H100 Extreme-Performance CPU Cooler I have choosen at this stage.

I wonder what you guys think about these 3 main thinks I was going to use for a good performance FSX PC.

the rest is unclear at this stage.

Motherboard unclear?!

Power supply unclear?!

RAM unclear?!

PC Case unclear?!

HD Clear?!

Because I live in a "remote area in Western Australia there is not much choice in town to get infos from IT people

and I wonder if you guys here on this platform can help me to build one or at least can give me some infos about the items I need for a peaceful FSX flying time from time to time.

thanks for reading this

cheers

Rob

I agree with Kesomir - NVidia tends to handle FSX better than ATI, especially with clouds. One more plus for NVidia: With the latest NVidia inspector, you can limit the framerate from within the NVidia settings, which gets rid of the Java framerate limiter. It's so nice to have a constant 30fps in 99% of the time in the simulator.

However, the graphics card certainly won't be the bottleneck of your system. Most important is CPU speed (the i7 is a good solution for that). I'd go for a motherboard that makes overclocking easy. I myself have an i5 and have overclocked it to 4.2GHZ with ease, only changing one setting on my Asus motherboard.

The rest of the system should be balanced. Good RAM (I'd go for 8GB), a good power supply (750W or more), and most of all: fast mass storage. If money is no obstacle, I would advise you to build a SSD only system. I have done so, using 3 240GB SSDs, and I have nothing but praise for that setup. You won't gain FPS by that, but loading times (of the program and for textures) will be a joy.

Everything maxed out still is impossible, especially in large urban areas with large airports. I do have to tone down autogen a notch, and have to keep water at 2x low, but apart from that, FSX is a visual feast for me.

Regarding PC case: you want to go for one that has an optimized air flow to keep the graphics card and CPU as cool as possible. That also means that you want your cables tidy and fans supporting the airflow. Suck fresh air in from the side or front, blow it out from the back. And make the case large - that helps. The hotter the surrounding air is, the more important is good air flow.

Hope this helps a little.

Hi Robby

I have an i7 2700K with 16gb 1600 ram and AsusP8Z68V-Pro motherboard and a H100 cooler. I purchased these components with a view to some mild overclocking (say to 4.2). The H100 has quite a large radiator and thus needs a case big enough to take it. Some applications run as much as 3 x faster if you disable the hyperthreading in the bios and I suspect that FSX falls into this category. I would suggest that you may wish to get a triple head video card as then you can run three monitors which will greatly enhance your FSX experience.

PS Check that your H100 runs quietly as I had to replace mine under warranty as the pump had a constant noise.

Good luck and have fun with your new "beast"!

Hodge

hehe Hodge, still kickin ass?

My 2c: FSX isn't really GPU-limited, but  decent card still makes sense. For THREE screens though the ATI/AMD solution is significantly better than Nvidia. I've run triple screens for many years, through several generations of both Nvidia and ATI graphics cards. The ATI/AMD cards from the 5000 series onwards have Eyefinity, a hardware buffer combining the screens built into the card. At a fairly fundamental level the rest of the system can (if desired) treat the three screens as a single screen (in my case with a resolution 3600x1600). Nvidia on the other hand always presents the multiple screens as multiple screens to Windows so games have to have their own in-built multi-monitor support. FSX is kind of ok in this regard but most games really suck at multi-monitor support. AMD sidesteps all this by allowing the sofware to believe there really is a single 3600x1600 (or whatever) monitor attached to the GPU. The only limits you then come up against are games that have hardcoded max screen resolutions less than that, or games that won't accept aspect ratios beyond a certain limit (that's why my 3 screens are portrait), games that have a fixed set of hardcoded resolutions that don't include yours. FSX in general doesn't seem to have those hardcoded bad design decisions (but LOTS of games do). Also FSX does do what you'd want with extra screen estate, i.e. just use it for a broader view. Some games just stretch what they'd put on a smaller monitor so the whole thing is fairly pointless. Some games (Silent Hunter 5) just crash-to-black if asked to display on a screen above a certain resolution. So the whole thing is a bit messy but IMHO AMD cards make life simpler by at least allowing the s/w to treat the screens as one.

hi guys thanks for the quick reply and info.

I think I go with a...

• Intel Core i7-2600K CPU + Asus P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3 LGA1155/ Intel Z68 +8G Combo set

• ASUS nVidia GTX 560 GTX560 Ti OC 1GB HDMI SLI GAMING

• Corsair H100 Intel i7 2011 1155 775 AMD AM3+ AM3 AM2 Liquid CPU Cooler Cooling

[*]Thermaltake V9 Gaming Mid Tower Case 980W PSU Quiet Fan

what do you guys think about the hardware? I'm not very good with IT stuff and as I've said before there is no good IT shop in town here to ask for help and advice...

thanks again anyway

rob

Guest GoncaloCarvalhoPT

hi guys thanks for the quick reply and info.

I think I go with a...

• Intel Core i7-2600K CPU + Asus P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3 LGA1155/ Intel Z68 +8G Combo set
    • ASUS nVidia GTX 560 GTX560 Ti OC 1GB HDMI SLI GAMING

• Corsair H100 Intel i7 2011 1155 775 AMD AM3+ AM3 AM2 Liquid CPU Cooler Cooling

[*]Thermaltake V9 Gaming Mid Tower Case 980W PSU Quiet Fan

what do you guys think about the hardware? I'm not very good with IT stuff and as I've said before there is no good IT shop in town here to ask for help and advice...

thanks again anyway

rob

Hi Rob,

1 point for the GPU ;)

1 point for the CPU ;)

At this point I'm just like you. Both we want to build a new PC for FSX (and BF3 for me). By now I follow a topic from Mathijs Kok with some advices about Hardware and settings in FSX. With this topic you can take the last decision on which hardware you want and for the better price for your wallet.

Follow Mathijs link: http://forum.aerosof...-you-might-not/

It's a 2009/2010 tips but has Mathijs said on his last post:

It's a bit outdated by now. I am writing a new one.

Soon we can have a new source to buil a better FSX/BF3 PC reaching 50 FPS :D