Antarctica X Historic Sites?

Adrian Petford

Hello Sascha,

Congratulations and thanks for Antarctica X! I was excitedly watching the preview thread for many months before the package came out and it was certainly worth waiting for. It is stunning. So much atmosphere, character and detail in the modelling, it's an exceptional piece of work which clearly shows how much effort went into its development.

Like many here, I would love to see a later update with more content and know from previous posts that you're taking requests into consideration should it happen. I was wondering whether it might be possible to model Scott and Shackleton's huts and the surrounding camps at Cape Evans and Cape Royds respectively? With the centenary of Scott's arrival at the Pole just passed, it would be great to see them included as there is a lot surviving at both sites.

Keep up the good work!

Regards,

Ade

Adrian, although I dont yet own Antarctica ( very tight budget here ) I think your ideas have a lot of merit, particularly as this year marks the centenary of Scott's ill-fated expedition. Do you happen to know whether the cairn built to cover Scott and his companions in their tent still stands ? If so, that would be another historic site worth including. :)

Hi Paul,

As far as I'm aware from the BBC or ITV documentary I seen a couple of months ago, it's been a pain staking task for a bunch of folk preserving the site including all it's artifacts.

James, apparently the humidity introduced by people breathing inside the huts is causing some problems regarding their preservation. Interestingly, last year they unearthed a case of Black & White whisky that had been buried just outside the Shackleton expedition hut!

Do you know anything of Scott's cairn ? I've Googled it, but even that repository of all human knowledge couldn't tell me. ;)

James, apparently the humidity introduced by people breathing inside the huts is causing some problems regarding their preservation. Interestingly, last year they unearthed a case of Black & White whisky that had been buried just outside the Shackleton expedition hut!

Do you know anything of Scott's cairn ? I've Googled it, but even that repository of all human knowledge couldn't tell me. ;)

Found a little something here, the question is which pre-arranged supply depot was it and what direction, or reading this one here they could be anywhere.

Found a little something here, the question is which pre-arranged supply depot was it and what direction, or reading this one here they could be anywhere.

To answer Paul's original question, I thought Scott's cairn couldn't ever be relocated after the rescue party had left. Very interesting reading that thread to learn that it was still standing as recently as the 1970s. Thanks for posting that Shaun.

There was a brilliant BBC/TVNZ documentary shown a few months ago which spent a lot of time at both Scott and Shackleton's huts. Everything is so well preserved at the sites because of the constant sub-zero temperature, although a six-year project is underway to treat and maintain the items, ensuring their survival for the long term. It was astonishing seeing inside Scott's hut as so much of it is still exactly like the famous photographs we've all grown up with. I imagine "Winter Quarters" would still be habitable today should some expedition need to.

It was great to see Discovery Hut modelled in Antarctica X next to McMurdo Station and the Scott expedition memorial cross on top of Observation Hill as well (a nice touch). It's this attention to detail that really sets this scenery apart as something special. Go on Sascha, give us a few more of these historic sites... there could be a Great Age of Antarctic Exploration sightseeing flight!

Regards,

Ade

Shaun, Adrian, thanks very much. Shaun, those links are very interesting. I had always assumed the cairn was made of rocks, but obviously there were none to be found nearby. And eventually their bodies will reach the sea and be gone forever. Fascinating stuff, thanks again.

We are all burning candles that sascha will do an expension to this great scenery. Etienne

Yes indeed. While we are waiting, thanks for your excellent add ons for it Etienne (and also for The Olgas in Australia). Brilliant work!

Ade

Well, if there is ever an expansion pack for Antarctica X, I hope they add a cairn at the location of Scott's tent when it was discovered. I know it isn't there any more, but it would be a rather nice tribute to those men in this centenary year, And would it matter that its fictional ? I don't think so - in all that white wilderness, a little artistic license is permissible. ;)

When funds permit, I'll definitely be getting Antarctica X. :)