VMO-1, 1980s?

rsgunner

no...just ot the outside of both...oh and those markings above...are for an overall olivedrag OV-10.........hint hint....lol

Doing great work Russ....thank you! I've hit a busy streak at home but I am hoping to get one more paint done tommorow so I can post my 3-pack. Just trying to decide what one I ant to do right now.

The Only time you would ever see a USMC grey bird is if the airframe was transferred by bma in DC, gunmetal was Navy, OD Green Marines, diffused grey USAF...... sure you've heard of ten degrees of separation....this was it..... the only color I ever knew was OD green, emnu Black, or Brasso Brass USMC Semper Fi looks good though, their was a Black Ops unit in SE asia that flew Unmarked grey known as CIA.

Navy Birds were a little different, SecNav had to get approval for OD green from BuOrd for land based birds as they were in combat environment, The Black Ponies all were a great group of guys....... fought well, flew well, AND threw some great beer busts for us all, many a soldier and Marine can say they owe their lives to them, although the paint scheme that is painted, I personally do not recall ever seeing one painted with the black pony (not to say it did not exist), most were painted with the ATKRON logo (red). Their is a Naval museum in South Carolina that has a Black Pony bird.... somewhere near Charleston... ( name fails me)... and I do think it has a Pony rearing on the fuse.......... Still the Gray jarhead bird looks good.......... If someone can do a BLUE ANGEL Bronco, why can't someone do a Marine Bird with Navy feathers :groupflip_s::lurk_s:

Someone wanna do a good bird...... VMO-2 White wingtop Black and white checkerboard pattern port and starboard, all low-vis markings OD Green (when they say olive looks darker than the olive) 55238,267,269,330,335. the bird would have red clay splash on tires gear, underflash, and rusty hardpoint bolting........and a few kalishnikov holes..... Madine yuuuu DINKYDAU !!!! p.s. just got the hang of how to save layers in photoshop, working on learning to Paint...... p.s.s. Load this bird for dl.... great lines, and looks, I am working on mod with Tod Berenght for MG's and Rockets..... just working to add sound file

The Black Ponies have my respect. Anyone who puts

"The Honorable Mr. Chafee, Secretary of the Navy, visited Binh Thuy on Thursday, 22 May. He examined an OV-10A display in the VAL-4 hangar from a slow moving, air-conditioned sedan."

in their official unit history report has to be good people

How is this?

VMO-1_E.jpg

Russ

looks great Russ...thank you!!!! As for the overall gray bird....the USMC went through a period in the early eighties along with is parent service the USN in painting everything including the toilets gray.