• Aerosoft

Got to be really careful here as anything said could be take out of context. There are however two comments we like to make on the release of GSX and the posts by Umberto about that product.

• Umberto claims that Oliver would look at compatibility issues, but while Umberto has had full free access to AES all the time, Oliver did not have any access to GSX in the past. So just do not count on anything, while GSX claims some compatibility with AES we simply can not claim the same as we have the software not installed on any system.
  • We deplore that GSX uses the intelliscene configuration files without any discussion. Creating the interface to create those files was expensive and time consuming. To use those files (that are provided free of charge) without even giving full credits is just not nice. We hope Umberto will create his own interface for that or tell people he is using software created by others. We understand that this is bad for customers so we expect Umberto to choose the right option and to tell people without any unclarity that he is using software created by a competitor as a source for his own product.

The first issue is minor for us but might be an issue for customers, the second is a biggie for us but should not affect customer in any way. I like Umberto, he is a very clever and a very nice guy, we shared many beers. But there is no need to compete like he does. As said customers can make up their own mind.

We wish Umberto all the best with GSX. Honestly.

• Upvote 8

Mathijs,

I respectfully disagree with you (we known each other from such a long time, that we basically grew old together with Flight sim...) so you will not mind if I'm telling you are wrong this time.

1) Access to GSX pre-release.

Wrong comparison here, I never had any access to AES BEFORE it was released, so it would be unfair to compare a very different situation. Oliver will surely receive his free copy of GSX now that is out, although he surely can check it already if with all our airports, included AES interoperability, since all our airports also have AES... but, as I've said, he'll receive his free copy now, no problem.

2) Use of the intelliscene file.

We HAVE our own interface and file format to recognize and configure airplanes, which is way more complete and complex comparing to what the intelliscene file does, since it adds (for example) dedicated entires for catering doors, not just as mirrors of the main exit, so we can accomodate asymmetrical exits like in the 737, and we can specify custom code to recognize non-standard doors and ground connections and much more, it's a file format written *IN* the Python language, it doesn't have any similarity whatsoever with the standard .INI file format that it's used by AES, even conceptually.

GSX by default use that one, and this is what we prefer users will rely on.

But, you can't blame GSX for being able to read EXISTING intelliscene files that might be ALREADY in possession of users, which are just plain standard .INI files, and are only used as a 2nd best option, if the airplane in unknown to GSX.

In fact, recognizing the intelliscene format as a de-facto standard, is exactly the opposite of "competing" like you said, if we were trying to really compete, we would have introduced our own similar-but-slightly-different format, in Microsoft style, as when they "improve" the html format, in order to break a standard.

• Upvote 12

Keep the conversation going. This is what we needed a while ago. I'm not ditching AES for GSX but I am going to buy GSX. They do two different things IMHO. You guys must play nice and find a way for both products to coexist. The last thing we need is to reinvent the wheel every time a new product comes around. That was the beauty of AES - you didn't have to remember whether to use ctl-j, enter a frequency or some other stupid process to get the jetway moving. You set the parking brakes and it was done.

This is what I am asking as a customer of both companies. I want to buy more AES credits AND I want to buy GSX.

• Upvote 2

I REALLY hope this won't lead two fantastic companies into struggle. I'm using AES for a long time now and when I'm in the mood to run some big Metal, AES is always in the boat as it is a must for me together with big airports and big aircrafts. The new version also looks fantastic. I like the "localisation" with moving jetways and different spoken accents on some regions. I don't regret any AES credit I bought and I understand I have to pay for new airports as it is much work to do on those.So I also will support AES in the future.

On the other side, I tried GSX at the Hawaiian airports (I also own most FSDT destinations, as they are one of the best) and it looked really good. I like the look and the animation stuff but I will test arround with it. I think if I (or you, the companies) find a way to get both running side by side (AES for the big ones and GSX for the "not so supported" or the less important), it would be good for everyone. Since GSX stays a pay once product, I still can use some credits on AES if i like.

But I don't want to spend money on and on in two addons.

So peace to all and try to share the cake.

• Upvote 2

How can one claim GSX would use the intelliscene.cfg's if GSX is able to recognise all open doors even if an intelliscene.cfg is not existing in the root folder of an aircraft ???

• Upvote 1

How can one claim GSX would use the intelliscene.cfg's if GSX is able to recognise all open doors even if an intelliscene.cfg is not existing in the root folder of an aircraft ???

But, you can't blame GSX for being able to read EXISTING intelliscene files that might be ALREADY in possession of users, which are just plain standard .INI files, and are only used as a 2nd best option, if the airplane in unknown to GSX.

Hi,

For me this topic is a "non issue". Because GSX isn't compatible with FS2004. And as long FsDreamTeam isn't making a FS2004 version, I cannot say anything about the program. And, Oliver is still expanding the AES version with goodies, so AES is still the best I have ever bought for FS2004.

So far I think both can live together in harmony. So far the custom settings of AES is much better then the average GSX system, so I will continue getting credits for AES, but you guys should take a good look at GSX, some of the features are real nice. The animated baggage crews for example. :)

On the other hand, GSX is great when you arrive at a non AES airport, it's always nice to see ground crews when you arrive. :)

For sure GSX is for FSDT-Airports a nice thing. It's free and the animated jetways work perfect.

The animation of FSDT's ground-crew is very good, but I'm sure, Oliver's AES will be the same, or even better, if he's finished with his overhaul of AES. The new animations of AES 2.21 are very promising. And for sure he will complete this with a baggage car.

But Oliver must work hard. There are some details in which FSDT is better. During FSDT pushback the airplane's wheels are rotating and the front landing gear is turning during curves. FSDT's Follow Me comes driven from far away and doesn't pop-up suddenly. And seeing which gate is occupied and which one is free is also nice.

On the other hand Olivers jetways work perfect on every airport he supports. And his parking helps (sorry, don't know the exact word) are convincing. Also his car-tracks in curves are unreached until now.

Is it an advantage that GSX works on every FS-standard airport??? I'm not sure. Honestly, is it really a joy to drive a plane from the gate to the runway and vice versa on a standard airport??? No, not at all - for me. AES was designed for the ambitious amateur who wants a 100 % real flight from start-up to shut-down. And those people don't use FS-standard-airports or sub-mediocre freeware or payware airports. They use good payware and freeware, and for those airports AES is aimed for and those airports are supported by AES. Only exception at the moment are ORBX's big airports!! ORBX don't allow AES on their airports, so here GSX is the only possibility.

I will support Oliver's AES further on. I have buyed lots of credits, so I don't want to waste them. And besides that, he is a nice guy. And Australia?? I have most of ORBX's australian airports. But at the moment I only fly there VFR with small airplanes. For jets I prefer good old Europe and for them I have AES and I don't need GSX here.

Bernhard

• Upvote 1

" And those people don't use FS-standard-airports or sub-mediocre freeware or payware airports. They use good payware and freeware, and for those airports AES is aimed for and those airports are supported by AES. Only exception at the moment are ORBX's big airports!! ORBX don't allow AES on their airports, so here GSX is the only possibility."

There are quite a lot of good freeware and payware addons which don't have AES support. Either the developer don't want it, they use some kind of technique which is not compatible, or Oliver just haven't had the time.

I have neither AES nor GSX, but both addons look stunning and I'm not sure if to get one of them. Whether a wheel is turning or not, is not important for me. In my opinion the advantage of GSX is, that it's free for every FSDT airport. E.g. for Aerosofts Mega Airports, you have to buy credits. Furthermore, purchasing GSX means to enjoy those ground services on ANY airport, there is no addon needed. Some people might have 50+ addon airports, but that's just a fraction of all the airports on the world so it would be a nice thing to land whereever you want and see the follow-me car coming.

I have neither AES nor GSX, but both addons look stunning and I'm not sure if to get one of them

Both addons can be tested free on chosen airports with full functionality.

So just give them a try and follow what your taste/preferences tell you.

To me, they are close to not even being competitors (GSX and AES I mean).

Unless compatibility is added between the two products, this is what I (and Im sure many others) will use :

- GSX for deafault airports that will never get AES-compatibility

-AES for all add-no airports that don't have a jetway moving with CTRL-J.

The only choice comes with FSDT's airports, and even then I think AES is the winner for two very important reasons :

- More fluid jetway movements.

- Both cargo entries (front and back) are being used.

Considering both AES and GSX offer an animated catering service (man rolling trolleys onto aircraft), the only real advantage for GSX comes with the animated baggage loaders. But if this is corrected with AES NG, there would be no reason to use GSX anywhere else than at default airport.

This is just my personal opinion, but AES will continue to get my money. Let's not forget out FS9 simmers out there who are still a very big part of the community, and they will all continue to use AES.

• Upvote 2

Furthermore, purchasing GSX means to enjoy those ground services on ANY airport, there is no addon needed. Some people might have 50+ addon airports, but that's just a fraction of all the airports on the world so it would be a nice thing to land whereever you want and see the follow-me car coming.

I'm in the same situation than you and that's the reason i think i'll buy gsx... i don't have enough money to buy all airports i might like flying into...

Both addons can be tested free on chosen airports with full functionality.

So just give them a try and follow what your taste/preferences tell you.

I think that's what I'm gonna do. I have 2 FSDT Airports so I can test GSX there. But where can I test AES for free? On the 0 credit Airports? (e.g. Corfu)

• Upvote 1

GSX doesn't seem to have docking systems with related boards and not even moving fingers. Further, no remote control from a second computer. For the moment I am stuck on AES...

After using both, I like AES better. Any airport that has AES I will keep as is. I am just going to use GSX at stuff like Blueprint and the like. If Oliver can get the tugs with the baggage cars and simulate them loading the cargo bins that will be icing on the cake. Thats the only thing AES does not have that I would love to see.

GSX doesn't seem to have docking systems with related boards and not even moving fingers. Further, no remote control from a second computer. For the moment I am stuck on AES...

GSX is very new, there are lots comming down the pipe for updates and improvements. Time is needed, and we all know most developers has a "teething" session with all new products.