1070 Hpa

...and combined with the current OAT your old Cessna 172M feels more like a turbo-charged 182! Geeze...

At 55 kts IAS the old bird didn't just rotate, it JUMPED into the sky and climbed with 1,200+ ft/min! I felt almost like in an elevator... - had to force the baby down in the end! Unbelievable!

• Deputy Sheriffs

BTW the world record is 1083.8 hPa messured 31. December 1968 in Agata (263m a. MSL) in the northwest of Siberia.

On 20. January 2010, there was a value of 1086 hPA reported in Mongolia. But it was not accepted due to the height of the locations (1421m and 1928m a. MSL) and the therefore resulting errors.

We had (and still have) very high pressure here in Latvia, Monday it climbed to QNH1053, the funny thing is that the Fokker50's which are operated by airBaltic (about 9) is limited to QNH1051 (As I was told) :D

• Aerosoft

We had (and still have) very high pressure here in Latvia, Monday it climbed to QNH1053, the funny thing is that the Fokker50's which are operated by airBaltic (about 9) is limited to QNH1051 (As I was told) :D

I know there are more aircraft that can't go over 1051 while the FS models can. Try buggin that to the developers!

And yes we checked, as far as I know all the aircraft I am responsible for are okay, lol

• Deputy Sheriffs

Here in the U.S., we have an FAR (Federal Aviation Regulation) that requires special procedures when the pressure exceeds 31"Hg (or, using my terrific Aerosoft calculator, 1049.77 hPa). Here it is:

FAR 91.144 Temporary restriction on flight operations during abnormally high barometric pressure conditions.

(a) Special flight restrictions. When any information indicates that barometric pressure on the route of flight currently exceeds or will exceed 31 inches of mercury, no person may operate an aircraft or initiate a flight contrary to the requirements established by the Administrator and published in a Notice to Airmen issued under this section.

(Waivers. The Administrator is authorized to waive any restriction issued under paragraph (a) of this section to permit emergency supply, transport, or medical services to be delivered to isolated communities, where the operation can be conducted with an acceptable level of safety.

VNAV procedures can also be affected, although this is rare. Temperature limitations (in my experience) are typical. Look for "BARO-VNAV" limitations in the plan view. A search on the net with a good engine will point you in the right direction.

Poster 3 asked if lower pressure was more dangerous. Each has it's own hazards. For a given set of conditions save pressure, higher than standard pressure equals lower pressure altitude which equals lower density altitude which equals better performance. The converse is of course true, and no one likes lower performance. However, as you fly into an area of lower pressure from one of higher pressure, altimetery errors increase. Hence, the saying, "High to low, look out below." Setting the correct QNH helps (close to the airport) but doesn't eliminate the error.

• Upvote 2