2.21 and G3d.dll at KEWR

psolk

Hey Oliver,

I decided to give 2.21 a try after my g3d.dll problems with 2.20a and b. Unfortunately when I went back to V2.14 all of my problems went away and I had no issues sp I have been using 2.14 again recently. I went to V2.21 yesterday and sure enough on my first approach to KEWR I got the dreaded g3d.dll error followed by a crash. Thoroughly confused I started to look at what could be different between the versions. One thing I found was texture size...

In 2.14 most textures appear to be 256x256 or 512x512. In 2.21 it looks like everything is 1024x1024. I am wondering if the difference in texture size could be contributing to my issues at Newark. Is there any way to resize the 2.21 textrues to 2.14 sizes so I can do some testing. Incidentally, starting at KEWR is no issue and my first flight with 2.21 from KEWR-LLBG was a total success. It is something about landing at KEWR.

Otherwise I fear I am permanently stuck at V2.14 :(

Thanks Oliver!

-Paul

• Developer

Hi Paul,

I think, it's just a problem of "ressources", which can generate CTD's, when the limits are reached. But, you system is not so small, that this will automatically happen, which no chance to solve it.

But, you are more or less only lucky, that 2.14 is just below the "limit" and so, you may don't see the problem so often.

Please try to make a flight without AI Traffic (if you have one), and you will see, that you have no CTD.

Check the version of you FS9.exe and the 3gd.dll, so that you are not mixing them and may use a No-CD FS9.EXE instead of FS91 EXE.

The most issues are memory leaks (maybe by buggy AI Texture, maybe by landclass issues on sceneries, maybe on the dll of Airplanes), so that the memory consumed on the flight is so big, that when you fly into a complex airport, the memory is out. The FS9 will mostly result in CTD's then, not with a OOM message.

Hi Oliver,

I agree, I don't think it is a system issue, the system is a beast and is running at 60 FPS smooth as butter when the g3d error happens. It is something specific to the resources available around KEWR. We all know the NYC area is very heavy on the system, then add in ImagineSim KEWR which is far from optimized and it causes all sorts of issues with versions above 2.14. That is why I was wondering if reducing the texture size would help me with my issue at KEWR as 2.14 comes in under the critical point but 2.21 is over. If I revert back to 2.14 I can do the 12 hour flight from LLBG-KEWR in real time into KEWR and land at 60FPS no issues, I have been doing it for years but then throw 2.21 into the mix and it is pushing it over the edge. I would hate to be stuck at 2.14 because I can do any flight I want with that version... Like I said, maybe reducing the texture size to the same size as 2.14?

Valid FS 9.1 .exe no non-cd version here, my cd has been in the drive for 7 years LOL!

Thanks Oliver, very bummed I can not seem to get this to work.

I can try disabling my custom painted Continental/United paints first but ALL my AI is DXt1 with Mip so they are all in the same format... Even if I can land without AI, that doesn't really help because then I would have to choose between AI or AES at KEWR... i think there has to be something to bring 2.21 down to the same memory consumption levels as 2.14 and hopefully smaller textures can do that...

Thank you for your patience Oliver, I am sure it is frustrating for a developer when one pain in the arse user like myself is having issues!!!

Hello;

Don't no if this might have anything to do with this,but do you have FSUIPC unstalled,and if so,do you have the latest version.I have a couple of problems with the CTD,before the latest one.

Mark

• Developer

One Tip, when you have a relative repoducable Flight, which always ends in CTD at the appoach:

- Make a backup of your Scenery.cfg

- uncheck all Addon's you have (or use a texteditor an replace Active=True in Active=False) and keep only the depature and destination airport ADDOn aktive.

- Then try the flight again.

If you then have no CTD, you can be safe, that one addon on the way between has a Memory leak error, so that you loose memory only by flying above the area.

Also keeping a eye on the memory usage while the flight can maybe give info's

The problem at this landclass memoryleak is, that as faster as you PC is, as more memory is collected and used.

@Mark... I do have FSUIPC but not the latest, I thought that issue was related to FSX and I am FS9... Not to mention I have never had an issue before and as the old adage goes if it ain't broke don't fix it :) Had I been experiencing G3D errors in ANY other situation I would consider it. Thank you though!!

@Oliver. I switched to doing your steps before every flight years ago... Before every flight I go into FlightSim manager and enable the two sceneries I will be using for that flight then enable them both in AES. Figured out years ago how many resources this can free up :) So i only ever have my departure/destination active :bow_down2_s:

Oliver,

What do you think of something like this to resize the textures down...

http://www.fsdreamte...hp?topic=2689.0

Here's a batch file that will resize all the biggest textures at PHNL to 512x512 instead of the default 1024x1024, that should improve the stuttering, because VRAM memory requirements are now 4x less

Unzip the file in the following folder

fs9\fsdreamteam\PHNL\texture

And run the resize.bat program.

Obviously I would have to go in and manipulate the batch file to point to AES directories/files or just do a *.* but this is what I was thinking for my AES texture directory. (This is actually where I got the idea) If I really needed to at KEWR I could possibly even go down to 256x256. Then when the paintkit is available at a later date all I would need to do is make my KEWR AES textures all 256x256 or 512x512 and leave all other locations their original 1024x1024 :lightbulb_s:

Link to the actual .bat below....

http://www.fsdreamte...9.0;attach=5941

As always, thank you in advance!

-Paul

Hey Oliver,

Still trying to work through this... Can you please confirm something for me? my V2.14 texture directory contains 315 files. 2.21 contains 270 files. Is that correct? it wasn't the texture sizes that were different it was the number of textures. I am just trying to make sure something didn't go wrong with the install for some reason... I tried the same flight with no AI and had the same issue. Not sure what is going on...

Anyone else using Imaginesim KEWR that could do a couple of quick hops to see if I am the only one with the issue at KEWR?

Thanks in advance!

-Paul

I will also try with some birds other than the PSS 777 to rule out the plane I am flying as well...

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Oliver,

Interesting development...

I began monitoring RAM usage since your suggestions in this thread. Sure enough, I can fly for 5 hours from the US to the Irish coast and memory will stay consistent at 23% with FS using ~ 12% even while transitioning from day-night. Then I hit the UTE (Ultimate Terrain Europe) coverage boundary over Ireland and all of a sudden I am slowly seeing it creep up ad up. For hours I was at 23%. Then it began to gradually creep to 31% over the UK, stabilized over the channe and by the time I left the UTE coverage area it had grown to 50% which would put FS @39% memory consumption of 8gigs!!! (I run Largeaddressaware for 4 gigs) i even flew 12 hours from TLV-EWR over a very southerly route barely touching UTE and landed at KEWR with just 26% memory consumption!

So I have promptly downloaded Process Monitor but I need to figure out how to run the appropriate filters as the last time I ran into this was 5 years ago with Ultimate Terrain USA and at the time I used filemon to troubleshoot. That is my update.

I know this would be way way way beyond the scope of AES at this point but knowing your knowledge level I was wondering if you had any experience with setting up the appropriate filter within process monitor to set it up to show errors only? I used to know how with filemon but I am lost now... If not I will search elsewhere just figured I would ask while I was updating you on my findings.

Thank you as always for your patience Oliver, hopefully if I can resolve this I can finally take advantage of all the wonderful new features!!

Hey Oliver,

Just a quick update,

I have been up all night looking at this. Due to the fact I fly with all scenery disabled it was very easy to isolate UTE (Ultimate Terrain Europe) as the cause. I then searched through 178 pages of threads on the Ultimate Terrain forums and found this post by a very smart gentleman named Dietmar:

bullet.png Posted: 19-April-2006 at 10:38pm

Gentlemen,

the memory leak/overflow comes with missing textures in ..FS9\Scenery\UTEurLC\TEXTURE.

The industrial/comercial landclass numbers are LC106 and LC110.

Together with the developed UT-Textures (inclusive the patch) you need the following BMP-files from your ..FS9\Scenery\World\Texture folder:

139b2..

140b2..

141b2..

142b2..

143b2..

900b2..

901b2..

902b2..

detail1.b2.. ?

copy this 39 files to UT-folder: ..FS9\Scenery\UTEurLC\TEXTURE.

Perhaps, not all of them are needed, but...

only God and MS knows what happens.

Cheers,

Dietmar

Now supposedly the 1.11 patch of UTE addressed these textures and I do have it installed however when I went and checked these textures were not present. I have proceeded to make backups, copy everything over and I am seeing some very different behavior "thus far" Too soon to say solved but prior to copying the missing textures I was starting my test-flight @ 18% memory consumption. After 15-20 minutes I was already up to 24%. After copying the textures I was at 15% upon load (already better) AND I have not surpassed 17% memory consumption yet after 25 minutes of flying. Already much better but it is going to take a lot more flying to see if memory continues to rise. I just popped from 16-17% as I type so only time will tell. This is alread a significant improvement if not the end all fix.

I am "HOPING" this is really the fix but wanted to provide you with a quick update regardless.

Thank you again as always Oliver.

• Developer

Hi, thanks for the update. Yes UTE had also Memoryleaks, but the files you post to copy are in my installation allready existing.

But, I have installed the latest version I could find, the installer was called: Ut9Eur112.exe (Shows 1.11 in the Configtool).

Thanks Oliver! I indeed installed 1.12 last night but it still didn't copy the correct files... (Wonder if that is an XP64 thing as the (x86) directory can sometimes throw installers for a loop)

Still flying now, almost 45 minutes now and still at 17%...

While you may not have "solved" this for me you convinced me to look deeper into my own setup opposed to just blaming AES. The fact I am running LARGEADDRESSAWARE has just masked the problem and allowed me to finish flights despite using almost 4 gigs of memory in the process! You convinced me to go back and evaluate my "working" setup and clearly there was a big issue. I really hope this is it and I can install 2.21 this weekend!

Thank you again Oliver!

PS. Still at 17% and my cleaning girls can not figure out what I am so excited about LOL

Quick question, do you use the landclass features the ind/comm options within UTE. All of the threads I read seemed to imply if you disable those features you should not have any issues.

• Developer

Quick question, do you use the landclass features the ind/comm options within UTE. All of the threads I read seemed to imply if you disable those features you should not have any issues.

Not anymore, because I have learned, that if this is used, in the areas of the industry the autogen is killed and that looks not so nice.

Thank you Oliver, very interesting!

-Paul

Edit, copied required textures, disabled the ind/comm landclass, been flying for 1.5 hours, memory started at 15%, peaked at 17% and remained constant entire time. Going to do the KEWR-LLBG flight again now to monitor memory consumption (it was 50% on landing yesterday) to see if this has really made a significant impact. If memory consumption seems to have stabilized I will re-install 2.21 tomorrow and begin testing!

Fingers crossed!

It does look like it was originally as Oliver thought, a resource problem and I am glad I listened!

:bow_down2_s: :bow_down2_s: :bow_down2_s:

Well Oliver, the results at the end of my KEWR-LLBG test flight has consistently benn 40% memory consumption of 8 Gigs or 3.2 gigs without me even realizing!!! :help_s::mecry_s:

After the changes the results of today's test flight was 21% memory consumption or 1.6 Gigs which is about what I would expect after 10 hours using UTUSA, UTEU, ImagineSim KEWR, FSAddon LLBG V2, the PSS 777, ASE with 512x512 32 bit textures and using night and day textures! :excellenttext_s: It took a few days to figure it all out but with your guidance I finally got to the root of a major issue with my FS setup :ididit_s:

Thank you very much for your patience throughout Oliver, tomorrow is 2.21 Test Day!!!! :wub:

• Upvote 1

Fingers crossed Oliver, Nail%20Biting.gif

Yesterday I did KEWR-LLBG with 2.21 :ididit_s: and all the usual suspects after the UTE changes I made the day before. It was magical :bow_down2_s:

As it sits right now I am 6 hours 32 minutes into LLBG-KEWR. Leaving LLBG FS memory consumption was at 14%, after flying across almost all of UTE for 4 1/2 hours FS memory consumption was at 17%, still at 17% in the middle of the Atlantic with a little over 5 hours to go. Fingers crossed I will be updating in another 6 hours with a PIREP from Newark as AES services my 777 on the ground after 12 hours! Nail%20Biting.gif

:bigdrink_s:

:clapping_s: 12 hours 31 minutes block to block and I just got done watching my phenomenal AES service fleet de-board, cater, clean and fuel my 777 at KEWR! :excellenttext_s:

So to close this out for anyone reading, there was never an issue with AES at all, the problem all along was with my system. :embaressed_s:

I apologize for implementing AES but I am happy to say it was never AES and just me.... :dumb_me_s:

• Upvote 1