Possibly a solution for CTD(Crash To Desktop)

jpick2011

I have had many problems with the CTD (Crash To Desktop) with Airbus X and FSX. I am running Windows 7, 64 bit. You can check out my full system info in my signature. I was over clocked to 4.4 and it is now "under clocked" to run at it's normal operating speed, 3.4. I have read where some users were experiencing problems with over clocked machines. I just put mine back to normal to test. Here is possibly a solution that could work for other users of this fine model. *NOTE: I did a fresh install of Airbus X, since it was giving me problems in the first place, and I am running the most current version, 1.22. Also, when I uninstalled Airbus X, I followed direct advice from users on this forum as to uninstall, IE: deleting code in FSX.cfg, etc...

Many users state that they also had CTD when selecting Airbus X models directly from the "Select Aircraft" tab within FSX. I had this problem too. Sometimes it would give me an error that stated: "oops, that airplane doesn't exist" or something along those lines. Here is what I found:

I started up FSX, at a default airport with no scenery attached. IE: Mega Scenery. I loaded up the Cessna 172 and after FSX was fully loaded at the runway, I added the Airbus X 320, I believe it was US Airways. CRASH...

So I restarted FSX, followed the same procedure, only this time the Airbus X A320 USAir loaded up fine. I did a quick pre-flight, takeoff checklist and proceeded down the runway. At my VR speed I lifted off the runway and CRASH...

Re-started FSX, same procedure but this time after the Airbus X A320 USAir successfully loaded, I saved the flight and shut down FSX normally. Restarted it, and loaded the flight after I was sitting on the runway. Did a quick pre-flight, takeoff checklist and took off. I flew a pattern and attempted to land at the same runway I took off from. So far so good, at 100 ft before touchdown, CRASH...

So I decided to do something different. I re-started FSX. At the "select aircraft" tab within the FSX window, instead of loading the Cessna first, I went ahead and selected one of the Airbus X files. It took about 5 seconds to load in the animation window where you see the aircraft you select. I then tried to select another Airbus X file. CRASH...

So re-started FSX and did the same thing. Only this time I selected an Airbus X model, it loaded. Then I selected a default FSX model, it loaded. Then I selected another Airbus X model, it loaded. Then a default model, loaded, and then an Airbus X model, loaded. I did this until I had no more Airbus X models to load. After awhile I could select any Airbus X model to model with no problem within load aircraft window.

I selected the USAir Airbus X model directly from the load window and went to a default airport. I did my normal pre-flight, and take off checklist and took off. I had no problems flying around at this point. I have yet to have a CTD. Although I can't guarantee that I won't.

Just maybe the lack of loading all Airbus X models within the FSX start screen affects how it handles within FSX. Maybe it's a "pre-load" problem and this fixes it. Again, I'm not saying that I won't have another crash, but it has seemed to work for me since then.

Has anybody else had any luck with this procedure?