Twin Otter Extended Preview (FSX,P3D)

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Was testing the pre beta version we got now and decided to share some of the incredible attention to detail that's in there.

Hey Mathijs,

Does that bird have a rotating beacon on the tail? I noticed the rotating beacon switch is missing on the overhead panel. Is it tied in to the anti-collision/strobe lights switch? Just curious. On the 4 blade Otter here, we have the strobe lights on the top of the fuselage and the belly of the bird. Just wondering about that after looking at them pics. Awesome job, though. The attention to detail is spot on. Looking forward to the finished plane.

Cheers.

I am pretty sure the model we will get will be working like the real one on which it is based. There are so many variants that it will not be viable to make models for every one that anyone has seen. Just because X has xyz in the cockpit does not mean it need to be in the simulated one.

I am pretty sure the model we will get will be working like the real one on which it is based. There are so many variants that it will not be viable to make models for every one that anyone has seen. Just because X has xyz in the cockpit does not mean it need to be in the simulated one.

Dude, no offence but it doesn't hurt to ask, does it? As a pilot with experience in the real mccoy, I'd like to know if I'm gonna be able to turn the rotating beacon on like say, before engine start like you're supposed to. To me it just adds to the reality of the simming immersion and experience. I just thought that along the way it wouldn't hurt to know some of the similarities and differences between birds. Like this D-IVER bird has got the RPM and T5 gauges switched out of normal sequence. Fascinating stuff to me. So forgive me if I just want to know if there's a beacon light switch in this bird or not.

Cheers.

Does that bird have a rotating beacon on the tail? I noticed the rotating beacon switch is missing on the overhead panel. Is it tied in to the anti-collision/strobe lights switch? Just curious. On the 4 blade Otter here, we have the strobe lights on the top of the fuselage and the belly of the bird. Just wondering about that after looking at them pics. Awesome job, though. The attention to detail is spot on. Looking forward to the finished plane.

Hi,

It does indeed. If you look at Mathijs' 4th picture above, you'll see the overhead panel. The beacon is labeled as "ANTI COLL", the Nav lights are labeled as "POSN", the strobes switch you will see over on the right with the circuit breakers labeled as "STROBE LTS", the taxi lights you will see in the center-lower LIGHTS section and are labeled "TAXI LT", and the landing lights you will see in a different picture on the overhead ignition area, on the captains side, to the left of the engine controls.

All the lights are in standard positions, and the beacon is on top of the tail. I'll see if I can get a screen to show the exact positions! It is indeed modeled directly off D-IVER.

The flight mechanics are far enough along that it's probably okay to start showing a few videos. Here's something simple but fun to start with, short field landing at St. Barthelemy with a 10-16 knot cross wind.

By looking the cockpit pics, its looks it has been admired from a old aircraft, the cockpit textures is looking very weathered. Mathijs please try to create cockpit without weathered textures used.

Its very disappointing

• Aerosoft

By looking the cockpit pics, its looks it has been admired from a old aircraft, the cockpit textures is looking very weathered. Mathijs please try to create cockpit without weathered textures used.

Its very disappointing

Show me an original Twin Otter that flies now and does not have a weathered look and we'll consider it. All these cockpits are 15 year old and almost never cleaned up or repainted.

As always we take one aircraft (D-IVER) in this case and model our VC on that. I assure you this is how she looks.

This looks absolutely gorgeous. But without wanting to start the discussion again, that horrible default GPS spoils it for me...

Sorry, but the alternative would be no GPS.

All other GPS´s available, apart from the RXP, are also based on the defealt FSX GPs´s and as told elsewhere, the RXP will not be added.

Finn

A Twin Otter without a weathered look wouldn't look real in my opinion.

I think the developers did an extremely nice job in applying the used look to the aircraft and I am confident that most of you will agree that bush-flying the DHC-6 needs worn-out seats and not a shiny panel...

Hi,

It does indeed. If you look at Mathijs' 4th picture above, you'll see the overhead panel. The beacon is labeled as "ANTI COLL", the Nav lights are labeled as "POSN", the strobes switch you will see over on the right with the circuit breakers labeled as "STROBE LTS", the taxi lights you will see in the center-lower LIGHTS section and are labeled "TAXI LT", and the landing lights you will see in a different picture on the overhead ignition area, on the captains side, to the left of the engine controls.

All the lights are in standard positions, and the beacon is on top of the tail. I'll see if I can get a screen to show the exact positions! It is indeed modeled directly off D-IVER.

Hey boss, Thanks for that. I didn't see the strobe light switch squeezed into the corner there. In our birds, all light switches are usually grouped together. This is cool seeing different configurations. I've seen pics of this Twotter in real life and holy cow! That's one sweet looking bird. Nice paint job too.

Cheers.

Hey boss, Thanks for that. I didn't see the strobe light switch squeezed into the corner there. In our birds, all light switches are usually grouped together. This is cool seeing different configurations. I've seen pics of this Twotter in real life and holy cow! That's one sweet looking bird. Nice paint job too.

Cheers.

Leads me to believe that the strobes were installed later and not at the factory on this particular airframe.

Leads me to believe that the strobes were installed later and not at the factory on this particular airframe.

I don´t think so...

The "FlightSafety" maintenance and training handbook has the strobe light and Anti collition light switches arranged similar to ours. But while the radio master switch is mentioned in various checklists, the D_IVER doesn´t seem to have one, so I guess that the individual radios has to be turned on/off on their own respective powoer switch/knob, or this is the reason why the generators are set to be turned on after engine start.

Finn

I don´t think so...

The "FlightSafety" maintenance and training handbook has the strobe light and Anti collition light switches arranged similar to ours. But while the radio master switch is mentioned in various checklists, the D_IVER doesn´t seem to have one, so I guess that the individual radios has to be turned on/off on their own respective powoer switch/knob, or this is the reason why the generators are set to be turned on after engine start.

Finn

So is it safe to assume that our sim model will not have a radio master then as well? I kind of hope that it was decided to put on in for the sake of keeping FSX's systems in order but I could also understand choosing to remain faithful to the D-IVER cockpit.

I am curious though- the default radio master must be mapped to something in the cockpit. If it were not, cold and dark flights loaded from the default Cessna would leave users with out avionics functions still. I remember another products a while back by a different developer (I won't say which) that did a cockpit with out any interface to the FS avionics master and there was no good way of telling if it was on aside from tuning an ATIS in and hitting the key short cut to toggle it to see if you can hear it. That is what I mean by keeping FSX's systems in order.

Hope this post/question makes sense.

So is it safe to assume that our sim model will not have a radio master then as well? I kind of hope that it was decided to put on in for the sake of keeping FSX's systems in order but I could also understand choosing to remain faithful to the D-IVER cockpit.

I am curious though- the default radio master must be mapped to something in the cockpit. If it were not, cold and dark flights loaded from the default Cessna would leave users with out avionics functions still. I remember another products a while back by a different developer (I won't say which) that did a cockpit with out any interface to the FS avionics master and there was no good way of telling if it was on aside from tuning an ATIS in and hitting the key short cut to toggle it to see if you can hear it. That is what I mean by keeping FSX's systems in order.

Hope this post/question makes sense.

....It does...

But The master "internal FSX" avionics switchs will automatically be switched on if it´s off, also if You come from the default Cessna that has been put into a cold & dark situation...

Just note that using custom made startup sitiations with cold & dark situatins will not be supported !!!

Thats no difference from other developers.

Finn

Archived