Twin Otter Extended Preview (FSX,P3D)

One of the reasons I'd like to see a realistic GPS in the Twotter is that it really opens up the all weather capabilities of the aircraft. A lot of small airfields that might be visited by aircraft such as the Twotter are now served by GPS approaches where there was no instrument procedure previously available. These fields are now accessible in much lower weather than before. Places like the Pacific Northwest, Western Canada, and Alaska are a natural habitat for this plane and you'll find many such fields in those places and elsewhere accompanied by foul weather much of the year. That said, if it doesn't work out, it doesn't work out. I'm disappointed by the lack of support from RXP and very much appreciative of Aerosoft's attempts to integrate the product. It's rare these days for a company to be so responsive to its customers, so thank you Mathijs, Finn, and company for all the hard work. Looking forward to handing you all a few bucks soon in exchange for another excellent product.

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Finn, I too, was not directing my post at you. I was speaking of those above that were kidding themselves about what you use to fly or what products you use based on popular trends has anything to do with being a hard core simmer. Fact of the matter, such a title is purely subjective and there is no one answer. So to say that 'hard core simmers' will like a product based on the inclusion or exclusion of a certain GPS product (when it is going to have a GPS regardless, remember!!!) is just non sense.

While that may have been true in the past, the current level of support, development and assistance from the RXP team means that hardcore simmers have gravitated away in droves...

What you are doing is providing your own personal desire as if it were fact. Have you asked the `hardcore simmers`, and are the results of your study aviable for analysis?

All good things come to an end. Even RXP.

I have not seen this exodus personally to be honest. Although I have not asked for support directly from them so I would not know about those challenges. The recently deployed Baytower RV7, Realir Lancair Legacy and Carenado King Air B200 have RXP GNS530 and or 430 right out of the box. People exploded when the C90 arrived without it and Carenado rushed to jam it into the first service pack. Realair included both 430 and 530 options in the Duke Turbine. And as a pilot in training that flies with people in GA all the time, the RXP GNS makes FSX worthwhile for those of us that need as close to real navigational practice as possible at least so much as IFR goes. You dont just use the GPS. You also dial in VOR's as a back up. Keep the Heading bug and course on the HSI dialed in correctly. Identify radio stations from the COMMS and all the same jazz you use without a GPS. It's good practice. Even though in your training you a required to demonstrate that you can, IFR pilots do not hand fly entire routes. The fatigue would kill them. I climb into very few planes in real life where I dont see one starting right back at me which is a testiment to thier ongoing relavency in aviation. The default GPS systems in FSX are pure and utter trash unfortunately and this is undeniable. Short of making a custom FMS like the Flight1 182T and Flight1 Mustang Garmin 1000 or PMDG systems FMS's and the soon to be released Majestic DHC8-Q400, RXP GNS is the boss. Although I do wish we could get Garmin NAVDATA updates for free but sadly we cannot and they are expensive but that is not the fault of RXP.

If the RXP team is not cooperating with developers, that does suck though but the product performs as expected and needs very little support. The community is quick to explain how to make the default SHIFT+6 or 3 or whatever make the RXP pop up in place of the default GPS in the planes not already equipped.

But here's the good news! Even if a plane does not come with an RXP option embedded... The tool to add it works great. The pop up still functions and takes over the NAV1/COM1 just dandy and the recent 1.6 update allows the RXP to feed its route data in real time directly into default FSX GPS!!!!

http://forum.avsim.net/topic/373848-rxp-update-16-now-feeds-rxp-flight-plan-to-the-efd1000/

That update allows you to at least SEE the route on the developer made GPS in realtime. Great workaround. Previously, the community figured out how to update the NAVDATA to Nov 2011. http://www.simforums.com/forums/nav-database-update-via-new-garmin-trainers_topic39731.html Pretty current by many standards and thankfully free.

The update from the previous year added WAAS Coupled Approaches. http://www.simforums.com/forums/gns-waas-coupled-approaches-updates-28may10_topic34926.html Thank God! This allowed for true LPV approach execution! LPV is the approach of choice in real life.

Want a challenge? You can still fly without autopilot or turn off/fail the GPS any time you want old school VOR based airway IFR. I do it often as well to stay current. Fun stuff.

In all fairness to the Twotter crowd, many places in the world where the Twotter operates have crappy GPS signals and you do alot of dead rec and radio based nav. :) The GNS 430 or 530 just rounds out the utility of the plane is all.

None of this has anything to do with hardcore or not hardcore sim too. Most simmers I know are more hardcore than real pilots I know when it comes to details so just by that we are hardcore. :)

C.

• Aerosoft

I really like to close this discussion.

The developers will do the best they can, but if an addin to an addon to a PC simulator works or not means very little for this product. We are talking about a niche in a niche in a niche. If it can be done we will do it, but it is important for a very small group of people. This is a product intended for large group of people, many times more then the gauge sold. The developers will do their best but only after the far more important things are done.

I would just hate to see RXP support excluded because there is some notion that simmers aren't using it and that it doesn't bring anything to the table. If it can't be included because the cost of working out how to include it isn't worth it in the end, that is understandable. Obviously there is a lot of trial and error that goes into fitting the unit seamlessly into the VC and that guess work might prove too time consuming.

But to say that it takes away from the hard core feel of this particular Twin Otter model is complete rubbish since it has a default in it already. There is going to be a GPS530 in it one way or another. And to say that because simmers aren't using it anymore so it won't be included sounds like excuses to me***. Just say 'we can't make it work the way we want' and I am sure everyone will accept it. And obviously it is foolish to think that everyone lining up for this Twin Otter has RXP gauges, I don't think anyone is saying that at all. But the percentage that do will be extremely appreciative and will be yet again rewarded for their continued patronage to Aerosoft.

I apologize to Mathijs and Finn for my involvement in a conversation that seems to be a thorn in the side of Aerosoft at this time. I will go back to waiting for more progress reports in eager anticipation like everyone else.

*** I want to point out that no one from Aerosoft itself made this claim.

Well, just a short note from someone who has been around Twin Otters for more years than many of you have been alive - Twin Otters run the gamut these days. They perform every role, from bush to air ambulance to cargo to passenger liners. Some come with high end avionics, some with middle of the road packages and some with bare bones. Most machines today have a GPS. Many of those that are working in the boonies just use hand-held units (as opposed to 530's, 430's, etc.). In places other than the States (and even then, just the lower 48) still use NDB navigation if the flight is IFR, but most bush flights are VFR only and that's where the hand-helds come in. From what I've seen of the screenshots of the Aerosoft Twin Otter, they've struck a very good balance of packages that is highly representative of the real thing as it operates today. That may not be what the RXP guys want to hear, but RXP users are in the minority (by a fairly large margin) and I think that for the masses and for the **typical** configurations you find Twin Otters in these days, Aerosoft has hit the nail on the head. If they can do a version that works for the RXP guys, so much the better (maybe make it an upgrade that RXP owners can purchase? That way Aerosoft gets value for their additional time and the RXP guys get what they want but have the option to pass on it).

Oh, and to the fellow who said that no IFR pilots could fly IFR flights without dying from exhaustion, maybe check your history books a bit :) . Lots and lots of us did, and there was a time when airplanes didn't come with autopilots, or they were so basic as to be only an aid, at best. Anyway, I used to fly 8 to 10 hours a day in marginal VFR weather with only a map and compass (and that's a lot more strenuous than flying IFR under ATC) and somehow I'm still here -_- . So the world of aviation can survive without GPS and autopilots, surprisingly to some ^_^ .

Well said BeaverDriver.

When I was on pilots course in the Air Force, one of the tasks was to fly low level and arrive on target on time or 15 secs either side of the on target time. We did this flying in the Australian outback with a map, compass, air speed indicator and a stop watch. This was done at 200 AGL or thereabouts in a jet with no autopilot. Its amazing what you learn and amazing flying. It was demanding but very satisfying hitting the target on time. GPS is great but in someways it has taken the adventure out of flying. :)

YEOW!!! It's one thing to trundle across the tundra in an Otter at 100 kts at 100 feet, but something else again to be blasting across there in a jet!!! I'm impressed :). That would be about the hardest kind of flying there is I would think, maybe short of carrier landings. Sure does put the "spice" back in life though, eh :)?

Thanks for this - always interesting reading others' experiences.

Mama Mia! This thing is looking insanely cool! Can we have another caribbean livery along with Winair in the initial release? Company operates in the southern caribbean out of st. vincent and the grenadines called Grenadine Airways. That'd be cool. I think I posted a pic of one of their twotters in a previous post. Thanks.

Cheers.

Nothing heard for a week now. Can we expect her before Christmas?. Regards

I don't know about Christmas, but I am hoping that with the Airbux Extended push now over that AS can devote more resources back at the Twin Otter and get its development going full steam again. IIRC, some of the staff working on this were also on the Airbus project, which obviously needed to take priority over the past several weeks. Either way, I am still eagerly anticipating this Twin Otter!

Archived