Twin Otter Extended Preview (FSX,P3D)

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This project is looking phenomenal! One question (and many apologies if it has already been asked), but will a float (or better yet, amphibian) version be available at release? *fingers crossed*

• Deputy Sheriffs

This project is looking phenomenal! One question (and many apologies if it has already been asked), but will a float (or better yet, amphibian) version be available at release? *fingers crossed*

It is intended to have floats, looking at this earlier message:

http://forum.aerosof...post__p__386281

Quote:

Here is the preliminary (!!!!) list of what we think we'll do.

• 300 normal wheels 620 shp (4 blades)
  • 300 normal wheels 620 shp (3 blades) normal door
  • 300 normal wheels 620 shp (3 blades) air stair
  • 300 tundra wheels 620 shp
  • 300 floats 620 shp
  • 300 ski/wheel 620 shp

• 100 normal wheels 620 shp (streamlined exhaust)
    • 100 normal wheels 550 shp
    • 100 tundra wheels 620 shp
    • 100 tundra wheels 550 shp
    • 100 floater 550 shp

I'm really looking into this plane as my soft transition from the tube-liners towards more low and slow enjoyment...

However, I want to go about this aircraft as I do any other in my simming - as realworld as possible, that's using (but not depending on) the GPS and cross checking navaids. After reading all the posts regarding the possible implementation of the RXP GNS 530, I'm wondering what good this $50 addon would do me, when the navdatabase for it is many years old, and is not looking to get upgraded anytime soon.

So my questions are:

1. I expect to do regional passanger/cargo (online IVAO/VATSIM) ops in Europe, and I suspect that alot of fixes/navaids and RNAV approaches will be missing and/or incorrect with the navdata not up to date? Any experience from other users of RXP products in Europe....?

2. How does Flightplanning in the realworld go (using the 530) - VOR/NDB - VOR/NDB? Mix of fixes and navaids? I assume the GNS530 does not support airways, and with out of date databse, it'll be useless anyways...

Thank you for your time.

Mas

Looking forward to this update!!

My youngest son works for Kenn Borek here in Calgary as their Machinist Technician.....hopefully we'll have a Kenn Borek livery included!!

Cheers from Canada!!!

I'm really looking into this plane as my soft transition from the tube-liners towards more low and slow enjoyment...

However, I want to go about this aircraft as I do any other in my simming - as realworld as possible, that's using (but not depending on) the GPS and cross checking navaids. After reading all the posts regarding the possible implementation of the RXP GNS 530, I'm wondering what good this $50 addon would do me, when the navdatabase for it is many years old, and is not looking to get upgraded anytime soon.

So my questions are:

1. I expect to do regional passanger/cargo (online IVAO/VATSIM) ops in Europe, and I suspect that alot of fixes/navaids and RNAV approaches will be missing and/or incorrect with the navdata not up to date? Any experience from other users of RXP products in Europe....?

2. How does Flightplanning in the realworld go (using the 530) - VOR/NDB - VOR/NDB? Mix of fixes and navaids? I assume the GNS530 does not support airways, and with out of date databse, it'll be useless anyways...

Thank you for your time.

Mas

1: I am not terribly sure about Europe as I don't regularly fly there but there are ways to update the database. It is regrettably hit or miss and irregular but currently it is possible to have a 2011 database in use. There are instructions in the dedicated support forum for the product on how to update the database. It is a work around but it ultimately works.

2: You can program any kind of flight plan you please into the GNS530. It will not handle airways but there are many, many FS addons that don't either. You can enter the entry point and exit point of your airway and any intersections or fixes along the way though and it works just fine.

The great thing about investing in the RXP GNS gauges is that the value is exponential when you consider the fact that you can very well use it with any airplane. It is integrated into a lot of payware planes these days and there is usually a way to install in unobtrusively into VCs in which it is not integrated. It will handle procedures far better than the default GPS too which is a plus. There is also a TAWS type mode with relative terrain display color coded in black yellow and red to display terrain that you are clear of, close to or will hit. It is quirky and has limitations, not the least of which is the database of course, but I would still stay it is worth it all things considered.

Sorry about two posts in a row but I have a question of my own that I wanted to ask separately.

For Mathijs, Finn, or anyone else involved, I was wondering if you are prepared to elaborate more on the 'more in depth' systems and engine modeling we will be getting. I've been following this since the beginning and I recall a lot of talk about engine surge on start up, start locks for the float planes and then general comments that the engines will be realistic. I would love to know some more details if you are able to share them about not just the engines but all of the systems. Will we get a working beta range? Hot starts? How about the bleed air and hydraulic systems detail?

I realize that Aerosoft might not be in a position to answer this fully at this moment but I, as I am sure many others, are wondering as this nears completion. I have seen many statements about how it will be similar to the Bronco in several aspects but to those of us that don't own the Bronco, that doesn't tell us much. It looks like a fantastic product but my style of flying doesn't encompass that one so I can't justify getting it.

Best Regards

Ian

Archived