Twin Otter Extended Preview (FSX,P3D)

Hey Mathijs,

The current Twotter has an irritating characteristic. On engine start, after combustion the engines surge to max power for a good 2-3 seconds before reducing to idle. I would like to see that fixed with this baby.....if at all possible? Sometimes the parking brake doesn't even hold it. It still surges forward against the brakes. Like I said, irritating. Please look into a fix for this. A smooth start sequence transition from combustion to idle makes all the difference. Thanks.

P.S Do you know of any tutorials and software for building soundpacks? I have some access to Twin Otters, maybe I will give it a go.

Cheers.

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey Mathijs,

The current Twotter has an irritating characteristic. On engine start, after combustion the engines surge to max power for a good 2-3 seconds before reducing to idle. I would like to see that fixed with this baby.....if at all possible? Sometimes the parking brake doesn't even hold it. It still surges forward against the brakes. Like I said, irritating. Please look into a fix for this. A smooth start sequence transition from combustion to idle makes all the difference. Thanks.

The surge is an extremely annoying FSX bug with powerful turboprops. The are two ways to tackle it:

- use an inaccurate FDE in conjunction with customised gauges. For instance, less powerful engines (so that the parking brakes can hold the aircraft during the surge); Less body drag so that underpowered engines can still fake their performance in real life; fuel and engine gauges that exaggerate the engine data and make you think they are working as they should in real life. Everything has be very finely balanced. It's tricky and extremely time consuming. And all that for what, a 3~4 second surge on start. Not worth the hassle at all.

- use a gauge or an external module that limits the RPM. A good example is IRIS Spartan. Extremely powerful turboprop with a massive surge, but if you follow the start procedures properly and activate the limiters, the gauge prevents the surge.

Mathijs just a cuple of things i want to see and hear when i buy this twin otter #1 the prat and whitney pt6-35 engines 750 shp #2 illuminated reading and cabin lighting #3 gpws callouts and tcas alerts included in the cockpit and sound pack with full weather radar instrumentation in the panel tcas screen mounted in the panel as well. #4 garmin radio stack and wass installed gps and ads b transponder.#5 full 23 seat interior instead of 17 in the first twin otter and contoured airline seats #6 Maldivian air taxi's dhc 6-300 on floats #7 5 blade semitar props

thx

chadhittenberger

• Aerosoft

Mathijs just a cuple of things i want to see and hear when i buy this twin otter #1 the prat and whitney pt6-35 engines 750 shp #2 illuminated reading and cabin lighting #3 gpws callouts and tcas alerts included in the cockpit and sound pack with full weather radar instrumentation in the panel tcas screen mounted in the panel as well. #4 garmin radio stack and wass installed gps and ads b transponder.#5 full 23 seat interior instead of 17 in the first twin otter and contoured airline seats #6 Maldivian air taxi's dhc 6-300 on floats #7 4 blade semitar props

thx

chadhittenberger

GPWS callouts? Of course it is possible to equip a Twotter with systems that do allow this but it is not standard equipment for sure. In fact I have never seen a Twotter that has it. Now I do have seen on Twotter with TCAS, but again this is far from standard equipment. As I have said we love the Twin Otter because it is such a nice simple aircraft and we'll keep it that way.

I just thought of something funny, landing a GPWS equipped Twin Otter at Lukla...

On the rest of the list I suggest you wait until we have released. Some things might happen, but I doubt all of them.

• Aerosoft

Hello Mathijs,

will there be an x-plane version of the Twotter for linux, too?

We are not sure on that. It's a lot of work for only 10% of users and in our experience they are not easy to entice into spending money on add-ons.

Thanks for the reply Kavehpd. Much appreciated. Guess I will live with the surge because an inaccurate FDE is OUT OF THE QUESTION!

@ Chad Hittenberger

Say what now? Twin Otter? 5 blade scimitar props? Am I missing an evolutionary stage of the venerable Twin Otter? Or are you thinking of the "German Twin Otter", Dornier 228? You must be. The Dornier 228 is one of my favourite planes (a sexy kind if ugly) and the 228NG they just started churning out has 5 blade scimitar props. You mean this bird don't you? I know. I want these guys to make one too.

The surge is an extremely annoying FSX bug with powerful turboprops. The are two ways to tackle it:

- use an inaccurate FDE in conjunction with customised gauges. For instance, less powerful engines (so that the parking brakes can hold the aircraft during the surge); Less body drag so that underpowered engines can still fake their performance in real life; fuel and engine gauges that exaggerate the engine data and make you think they are working as they should in real life. Everything has be very finely balanced. It's tricky and extremely time consuming. And all that for what, a 3~4 second surge on start. Not worth the hassle at all.

- use a gauge or an external module that limits the RPM. A good example is IRIS Spartan. Extremely powerful turboprop with a massive surge, but if you follow the start procedures properly and activate the limiters, the gauge prevents the surge.

Like on the Bronco , we have a really good hand on fixing this issue the proper way ;)

Finn

Like on the Bronco , we have a really good hand on fixing this issue the proper way ;)

Finn

I didn't know that, Finn. Thanks. I don't have the Bronco. Are we talking about the auto unfeather thing at 7:00 in this clip?

Or is it just an automated gauge that simulates the engine start behaviour in the background.

At any case, I'm glad to hear you guys will not leave it unattended in the new Twin Otter.

Hear hear. DO228-212NG is off the chain. Been watching them putting it through it's paces on youtube. Steep turns etc.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NEhJ7QiqEfA

The sound is gorgeous and the plane is phenomenal. The Twotter would beat it on a STOL takeoff and landing in my opinion but the 228 is a very VERY close second. The thing lands in St. Barths for crying out loud!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nyKdwcW37rs(not the NG but still awesome!)

We'll start with the Twin Otter, though, and take it from there. Vive le Twotter!

Hello,

I only want to ask you when will this beautifull Twin Otter be released, can't wait for it!

The people who did it, have done it very well!

PS: Mr Kok, are you speaking german, because I'm from Germany.

Lot more work on the textures done this week. Of course it still needs some layers of dirt etc...

Excellent shots. A great looking model !

GPWS callouts? Of course it is possible to equip a Twotter with systems that do allow this but it is not standard equipment for sure. In fact I have never seen a Twotter that has it. Now I do have seen on Twotter with TCAS, but again this is far from standard equipment. As I have said we love the Twin Otter because it is such a nice simple aircraft and we'll keep it that way.

I just thought of something funny, landing a GPWS equipped Twin Otter at Lukla...

On the rest of the list I suggest you wait until we have released. Some things might happen, but I doubt all of them.

Well sir Mr. Kok, the WinAir Twin Otters have GPWS ;)

I Shot this in March 2012

Archived