Oil change interval? (please answer it;)

pollux

Dear Marcel,

Can you explain what is the logic in the oil change interval? Real world engine needs about 25hrs oil change interval if using avgas

the in service modul after inspection, the "oil section" is see only the level, or consider if your oil is too old..?

thank you;)

Provided I understood your question(s) correctly, here is the theory:

1) Oil change intervals of the Katana 4X follow the same suit and if you follow the books (i.e. 25 hrs oil change intervals) you should be on the safe side.

2) You don't check the oil level in the service module but in the Pre-Flight walkaround.

3) In the service modul you can click on inspection and wait for the results. Every item in the checklist which is highlighted in yellow is in questionable condition and should be repaired/replaced in the near future. Everything highlighted in red requires immediate attention...

Now the (...or at least my...) reality:

Unfortunately the oil change indication doesn't seem to work with my Katana... - I can click on the red oil change buttons as often as I want, they remain red... :confused_s:

In the meantime I changed the oil about 10 times over the last 8 hours flight time and nothing happened. The Oil Change indicaters remain bright red, engine temperatures remain very modest and the engine sounds and feels juicy as ever...

• Upvote 2

Provided I understood your question(s) correctly, here is the theory:

1) Oil change intervals of the Katana 4X follow the same suit and if you follow the books (i.e. 25 hrs oil change intervals) you should be on the save side.

2) You don't check the oil level in the service module but in the Pre-Flight walkaround.

3) In the service modul you can click on inspection and wait for the results. Every item in the checklist which is highlighted in yellow is in questionable condition and should be repaired/replaced in the near future. Everything highlighted in red requires immediate attention...

Now the (...or at least my...) reality:

Unfortunately the oil change doesn't seem to work with my Katana... - I can click on the red oil change buttons as often as I want, they remain red... :confused_s:

In the meantime I changed the oil about 10 times over the last 8 hours flight time and nothing happened. The Oil Change indicaters remain bright red, engine temperatures remain very modest and the engine sounds and feels juicy as ever...

"2) You don't check the oil level in the service module but in the Pre-Flight walkaround."

now that is my question... because i always check my oil level before flight (burp it at least 3x 4x times for correct level)

so after i made an inspection and the oil is red -> that means the level is low, or it's time to change it... (this is why i questioned it that the 25hrs oil change interval is realistic or it fastened up in the kat4X)

if i see the data.cfg values, its more complicated

[CHARGES]

CHARGE_BATTERY=19.827013

LEVEL_OIL=2.578062

LEVEL_LEAD_OIL_FILTER=1.037800

RESIDUES_OIL_FILTER=1.193346

TEMPERATURE_OIL_MIN=-10.576816

TEMPERATURE_OIL_MAX=25.865641

LEVEL_COOLANT=2.430000

=50.000000

LEVEL_LEAD_FUEL=0.559624

well.. as i know the oil level should be about 2.7L in the reservoir

but there is plenty oil in the oil cooler radiator whitch can not be burped..

so im very confused about, that the oil change interval or it urgency is whitch value? and if it not the case.... maybe the oil level -> check, burping mechanism is not alwys correct, and that is leading to RED box after inspection

i have hope in Marcel;)

please

please:)

Pollux,

The Oil Level depends more on the way how you treat your engine. Flying with high oil temperatures and high revs of the prop will eat up oil almost as quickly as if you forget to correctly put the oil cap back in place (realistic) or to close the oil check door (not so realistic!?).

If you treat your engine badly you will have to refill more oil between the oil changes - which is realistic. Since I learned to treat my Rotax 912S respectfully I hardly need to refill more than half a liter SAE40 within the 25 hours intervals.

The Oil Change indicators in the Service module simply don't seem to work correctly. I assume that this is a bug but its up to Marcel Felde to check and clarify this. As the oil change simply doesn't work but also has no noticable impact on engine performance so far, I simply ignore the red light in the service section and change the oil every 25 hours flight time.

So no reason to get confused - oil change and oil level check are seperate issues and the oil change indication seems to be faulty...

It works perfectly here. Change the oil filter AND the oil- that much was patently obvious from Pollux's .cfg so I don't know why it wasn't picked up before as I hate having to answer his questions. Otherwise when ou use new oil with an old filter you rapidly contaminate the new oil...

This is basic engine maintenance and of course, not specific to the model.

[CHARGES]

LEVEL_OIL=2.578062

LEVEL_LEAD_OIL_FILTER=1.037800

RESIDUES_OIL_FILTER=1.193346

=50.000000

LEVEL_LEAD_FUEL=0.559624

can you tell me Dear Snave, what these lines are meaning? exatly if you please

please try to answer to the question, or ask Marcel, or the big Aerosoft... or i need to write a formal letter to the AS staff to help

i just want answers to these exact lines please

Hi Pollux,

I can't answer your questions as I have no information about min and max values for these variables. Sorry for that...

I'd like to answer Snave though:

1) Some of my motorbikes (one with Rotax engine) and cars I owned in the past required an oil change exactly twice as often as they required a change of the oil filter. ...and no, the "old" oil filter didn't contaminate the fresh oil!

I fully understand that aircraft engines have much stricter service requirements for safety reasons and would follow all requirements happily - but instead of guessing what might be right, I strictly follow the books!

2) As the Katana 4X manuals do not provide any information on oil filter change intervals but instead the Katana 4X provides the maintenance service, I have to rely on the inspection results and when the advice is to change the oil but not the oil filter then I only change the oil.

I actually don't care whether there is a bug in the oil change indicator or the oil filter wear indicator - I only understand that it doesn't work as intended and indicated and that this requires either additional information in the manual or fixing by the Katana 4X team. Plain simple.

3) Replacing all parts regularly (...how often do I need to change the tires, oil caps, wheel fairings, battery, etc.) counteracts the idea of aircraft wear based on bad treatment of the aircraft and finally makes the additional features obsolete.

Hi Pollux,

I can't answer your questions as I have no information about min and max values for these variables. Sorry for that...

I'd like to answer Snave though:

1) Some of my motorbikes (one with Rotax engine) and cars I owned in the past required an oil change exactly twice as often as they required a change of the oil filter. ...and no, the "old" oil filter didn't contaminate the fresh oil!

I fully understand that aircraft engines have much stricter service requirements for safety reasons and would follow all requirements happily - but instead of guessing what might be right, I strictly follow the books!

2) As the Katana 4X manuals do not provide any information on oil filter change intervals but instead the Katana 4X provides the maintenance service. I have to rely on the inspection results and when the advice is to change the oil but not the oil filter, I only change the oil.

I actually don't care whether there is a bug in the oil change indicator or the oil filter wear indicator - I only understand that it doesn't work as intended and indicated and that this requires either additional information in the manual or fixing by the Katana 4X team. Plain simple.

3) Replacing all parts regularly (...how often do I need to change the tires, oil caps, wheel fairings, battery, etc.) counteracts the idea of aircraft wear based on bad treatment of the aircraft and finally makes the additional features obsolete.

your nature english is much better then mine;) so at last you wrote down what i wanted to do..

the manual of the katana4x sometime write down thing too "general" way... and the plane is so complex, the lack of infos about the complete simulataion level give birth some expectations after i red the real Katana manual..

I know that Snave is really an expert... :)

,but the real katana manual really sad that sometime between 2 oil change, not neccesary to change the oil filter too.... but it's a real world plane so leave it

my question was originally just that, the oil change interval is how many hours in the katana4x sim... i can really accept if this value lower than real (A2A piper cub have the accelerated wear options too)

I just want to know it (exact value-> or programmed default value) if can?

and if the answer is simply a Snave's "gold spit" like... -> "i hate to answer to him"

soo...

what the ######??

i spend my money to this product..

i don't have the right to ask 1 question? (or 2 if you count the oil change topity from LAST YEAR!!!)

I understand that Marcel is busy right now... so i wait

anyway.. Thank's to

EDNR-Cruiser

• 2 weeks later...

Hi pollux,

This is just a general advice on the way I change the oil and/or the filter and is base on my experience.

To be honest, I think there is no need to see the data.cfg to know how good your Katana is.

So these are my recommendations:

1) If you experience any problem with your engine that requires a repair (overheating, excessive EGT, etc), then change the oil and its filter. Even if the menu doesn't show any yellow or red icon.

2) Every 25 hours as indicated on the manual, Change the Oil and oil filter.

3) If you need to refill the oil, don't change the filter.

The method that I use to change the oil is:

- Drain the used oil completely

- Change the oil filter

- Add new oil

I don't like to use the oil icon to change it, because I don't know if it does perform these activities on the way I've describe.

About other maintainable items, do what every pilot do in real life, perform a 360 pre-flight check. If the tires need air then it will show yellow, the same for brakes, structure, etc etc etc.

I think the Katana has a very effective, close to reality and simple way to show when it does need maintenance and it works perfectly.

For me it is pointless to look at the data.cfg. I think it was not designed as a pilot aid, it is more like a database....

Clear skies.

Jcmmg

• Upvote 1

Pollux, sorry for the delay. What version of the Katana did you install? There was a bug with the maintenance oil indication that has been fixed meanwhile. An alert may also refer on the wrong oil depending on outside temperatures...

• 2 weeks later...

Pollux, sorry for the delay. What version of the Katana did you install? There was a bug with the maintenance oil indication that has been fixed meanwhile. An alert may also refer on the wrong oil depending on outside temperatures...

im using the latest 1.03a

now.. im only saying that the oil dipstick measure system is weird a bit.. i mean i have to burp the engine 5x times to get neary correct oil level..

that's it

i saw many real world youtube videos, where the maintance guy rotate the prop until he heares the burp... and not rotate the prop all day like me (5x)

well..

(honestly i don't think that you will be revise this oil level measure system.. so... let' s say it's a VERY good plane another than that)

have a nice day;)