XP10 or prepar3d?

lindbergh72

Prepar3d is made for big companies/millitary and is not made to the average consumer market "Training meets reality with Lockheed Martin’s Prepar3D® simulation software. Private pilots, commercial organizations, militaries and academia rely on Prepar3D for immersive, experiential learning." it costs $499.00... a bit expensive for what is essential a FSX update if you ask me ;)

Prepar3d is made for big companies/millitary and is not made to the average consumer market "Training meets reality with Lockheed Martin’s Prepar3D® simulation software. Private pilots, commercial organizations, militaries and academia rely on Prepar3D for immersive, experiential learning." it costs $499.00... a bit expensive for what is essential a FSX update if you ask me ;)

Not true, but I can't be bothered to argue. This whole speculative conversation is somewhat pointless, especially when no developer has developed exclusively for P3D, and some developers are porting over their FSX creations to XP10...

Basically, it's wait and see. If you want.

After all, no-one demands you back a particular horse, and no-one is saying that if you back one horse that you can't also back the other.

Last time I looked there was nothing stopping an ardent simmer from owning both. Is there a law I don't know about...? :glare_s:

I can't talk about P3D, but XP10 is far from being a contender to FSX right now. I got it a couple of days ago, and I am pretty disappointed. It runs quite good on my system, but there are two things that I think make it an inferior product: No buildings whatsoever at airports, and an uncureable hyper-sensitivity of GA planes regarding winds. They tend to dance like drunken leaves in the air.

Last time I looked there was nothing stopping an ardent simmer from owning both. Is there a law I don't know about...?

Good point, Simon!

This might be true for some of us, however budget limitations do not allow everyone to buy all availabe simulation programs and thus the question should be considered a bit more earnestly - just my 2 cents...

Good point, Simon!

This might be true for some of us, however budget limitations do not allow everyone to buy all availabe simulation programs and thus the question should be considered a bit more earnestly - just my 2 cents...

Yes, exactly Bernd... I can only afford to bet on one horse here.

While truelz statement regarding a fee of $499 is true, he has avoided pointing out that P3D is in fact accessible to any simmer at, I think about $9.99 a month. You simply register as an individual developer. Which runs at about £72 a year!

Good point, Simon!

Well then, if money is the issue then just buy neither.

Again, last time I looked neither was a compulsory purchase and neither has a track record by which they can yet be compared on cost-effectiveness terms nor which may be worth a punt as a Derby winner... both may turn out to be old nags and there may ba a dark horse waiting in the wings that out-sprints them both to the line.

Ultimately, the short answer is to simply read everything you can about each, consult brain and wallet - and not ask such speculative questions.

While truelz statement regarding a fee of $499 is true, he has avoided pointing out that P3D is in fact accessible to any simmer at, I think about $9.99 a month. You simply register as an individual developer. Which runs at about £72 a year!

Didn't add it because that fee quickly adds up! I have been using FSX ever since it came out, thats 5 years plus 3 months if I payed $9.99 every month I used it I would have payed $629.37 so in the long run the "pay $9.99 every month" is not a very feasible way to do it! ;)

Hmmm, Simon...

Reading everything is one strategy but you know how little objective many media reports/reviews are. Some reviewers write for money, other because they expect priviliges from the developers, others have no knowledge at all... - *sigh*

I find it legitimate to ask even such "speculative questions", especially to ask more or less indepentent people in forums like this for their opinions, too. Not necessarily as the only source but as one more input to make up your own mind... - or "consult brain" as you put it... B)

Yes, exactly Bernd... I can only afford to bet on one horse here.

In that case keep "betting" on FSX. If curiosity gets the better of you then download the XP10 demo and sign up for one month with P3D. Other than time and bandwidth the cost will be a whole $10. And no, if you skip a month's payment you will not be able to use P3D until you start paying again.

In that case keep "betting" on FSX. If curiosity gets the better of you then download the XP10 demo and sign up for one month with P3D. Other than time and bandwidth the cost will be a whole $10. And no, if you skip a month's payment you will not be able to use P3D until you start paying again.

Thanks for clearing this issue out. :-)

Hmmm, Simon...

Reading everything is one strategy but you know how little objective many media reports/reviews are. Some reviewers write for money, other because they expect priviliges from the developers, others have no knowledge at all... - *sigh*

I find it legitimate to ask even such "speculative questions", especially to ask more or less indepentent people in forums like this for their opinions, too. Not necessarily as the only source but as one more input to make up your own mind... - or "consult brain" as you put it... B)

Well, the obvious consultation of brain necessarily involves reading as much, researching as much - and ultimately making that informed decision. That's precisely why I said `everything`, as that's how a balanced opinion can be deduced. However, there can be no such balanced opinions of either of these products at the present time as neither has sufficient `track record` on which to base any assessment. XP too new, P3d too misunderstood.

In which case the smart money is still on FSX - after all, if P3D delivers most of those addons should port straight over. Shouldn't they..?

• Deputy Sheriffs

So if I understand it correct you can pay $9.99 a month for updates or for just playing the game? I mean can you skip a month payment and still fly?

For the 'developer' license (that you can buy) you pay 9.99 per month, and the program stops working if you stop paying.

It is possible however to buy just a month for 9.99 without the subscription.

And what's more, you can have a free trial for a month if you are quick:

Trial Offer

Lockheed Martin is offering Computer Pilot readers the opportunity

to download Prepar3D for a 30-day free trial. Interested readers can go

to this link,

http://www.prepar3d.com/ComputerPilot,

to sign up for the 30-day evaluation license using the code COPILOTMAG.

The offer will be good through a sign-up date of January 31, 2012.