• Deputy Sheriffs

is it me, or do aircraft with winglets have more issues with crosswind?

You're right! I've read somewhere that for e.g. the 737 crosswind limits had been slighly reduced to 33 kts versus 36 kts.

EDIT: just got it here

• Deputy Sheriffs

Also die 757-300 der Condor ist echt der Hammer, die habe so recht mit ihrem Slogan "wir lieben fliegen" denn die 757 sieht aus als wollte sie gar nicht landen! :)

• Upvote 1

Great video, I wonder what the actual wind was gusting up to? The highest I've ever done was 12kts gutsing 17 in a C172, very sporting!

From what I know we had guests up to 45 knots. In Cologne/Bonn (EDDK, about 20NM from EDDL) they had a maximum strenght of up to 55 knots!

Must have been windshear alert. The aircraft were flying way too fast on finals!

Well after the 777-300 landed very hard......

Daniel

Windshear is something different. When you have a windshear the wind is coming steeply from above, pushing you towards the ground. What we had in Düsseldorf is "just" normal guests and a few CBs, nothing else.

From what I know we had guests up to 45 knots. In Cologne/Bonn (EDDK, about 20NM from EDDL) they had a maximum strenght of up to 55 knots!

Windshear is something different. When you have a windshear the wind is coming steeply from above, pushing you towards the ground. What we had in Düsseldorf is "just" normal guests and a few CBs, nothing else.

http://flighttrainin.../crosswind.html

I would say the Condor aborted landing due to a windshear alert system in the cockpit.

And seeing the descent of the first two aircraft I would attribute to a loss of airspeed on approach due to windshear.

I myself have flown these conditions and also been in a 777-300 flight deck during shear. It is common although many people don't know it.

The Condor and following aircraft showed a response to the windshear alert (some airports have a windshear alert system too, so the controller may have alerted the pilot or told him/her to go around) which they increased airspeed and landed at a higher than normal airspeed. They just shove the bird on the ground. It is safer than SOP.

Windshear is not wind gusts but certainly there is a lot of windshear around during windy conditions. I can guarantee you that.

Also CBs are guaranteed to give you windshear.

Windshear is not winds coming from above although that can happen. Wikipedia definition sums it up nicely:

Wind shear, sometimes referred to as windshear or wind gradient, is a difference in windspeed and direction over a relatively short distance in the atmosphere. Wind shear can be broken down into vertical and horizontal components, with horizontal wind shear seen across fronts and near the coast, and vertical shear typically near the surface, though also at higher levels in the atmosphere near upper level jets and frontal zones aloft.

Windshear is too often identified as downdrafts, and that thinking is very wrong. Please make sure you know what windshear is before posting.

What this video

Daniel

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...