Engine Fires, ELT's & Control Stuttering

qantas_nerd

greetings,

i have to questions about the katana 4x (which i just bought after buying the older version).

first off, is there any way to cause an engine fire. i know its in the checklists but can you actually do it?

second, is there actually an elt in the aircraft?

and lastly, before i start the engine, and test the controls, they stutter and take a couple of seconds to calm down, but when the engine is started, they work fine (and yes, i have removed the control column lock)

thanks in advance,

qantas_nerd

Funny questions... :D

1) Engine fire:

I am not sure if it really works... - as I am an acitive member of the "Save the airplanes" organization I haven't and won't test this feature... B)

If you wanna try it yourself:

Flood your carburator with too much fuel, preferably at low temperatures and then start the engine.

In flight keep oil levels below minimums, save on maintenance, never change fuel and oil filters, always climb as steep as possible at one notch below stall speed and so on... One day your engine will have enough of you and commit suicide! :rolleyes:

2) ELT:

Sure, there is a built in ELT in every Katana. If you wanna try it just hit the ground with 2.000+ ft/min vertical speed and ask someone to monitor 406.025 MHz :byesad_s:

Not sure what you mean with "stuttering" controls? Neither my stick nor the rudder pedals "stutter" before starting the engine...

Hey qantas_nerd, just as some friendly advice, before the dogs get let out, I would put down your system specs, OS, FSX version (accel? gold? sp1,2?), if you have registered or not FSUIPC, and any joystick/throttle/yoke system you have. I have never seen stuttering of the controls on my system, but those are all things that could affect it, so I'd put that info down here before anyone who may have answers comes, because they will surely ask and need to know.

EDNR love the ELT comment, cracked me up :D

System specs awaited

Aircraft not fitted with ELT. Unnecessary in this class of aircraft. Totally irrelevant in FSX which doesn't model its' use anyway.

Next, you've answered your own question (or at least you will once you read the documentation). This aircraft models the realistic `driving` of the control surfaces by wind. You've released the control locks... guess what happens next?

And I have no idea whether engine fires are modelled. The engine would have quit long before that happened anyway so you'd be flying a glider. If the fires took hold you'd be flying a coffin. There are very few - VERY few - reported instances of an in-flight engine fire with the Rotax 512 in the Diamond Katana, which utilises a separate airframe-mounted intake system which removes the risk of the carb pinging off due to vibration such as in some UL variants.

Why are you asking? Are you after making it more unrealistic?

Snave,

I don't feel well at all having to correct you but the Diamond DA-20 features a Rotax 912S engine, not a Rotax 512... B) See here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diamond_DA20

There are very few - VERY few - reported instances of an in-flight engine fire with the Rotax 512 in the Diamond Katana, which utilises a separate airframe-mounted intake system which removes the risk of the carb pinging off due to vibration such as in some UL variants.

...and at least in Germany and Austria ALL Katanas are equipped with ELT because the law requires it. :)

sorry about not replying, its been night over here in australia.

I am running a windows 7 pc with accelaration (Orbx AU Blue + YPJT Installed), no FSUIPC and I am using the Logitech Extreme 3D pro. I have updated the drivers for the joystick. So just to clear up, when the engine is off and I try to move the controls, they stutter, but when the engine is running they don't.

thanks,

qantas_nerd

I don't observe any stuttering here on my side... - no matter whether my Katana's engine is running or not.

Might be an issue with your Logitech joystick which doesn't have too many fans here in Germany due to calibration and other technical problems...

I don't observe any stuttering here on my side... - no matter whether my Katana's engine is running or not.

Might be an issue with your Logitech joystick which doesn't have too many fans here in Germany due to calibration and other technical problems...

Sorry also having no stuttering but then again I dont use logitech joystick..

I am more than satisfied with the Saitek Pro Yoke for almost two years now. Upgraded the yoke with the Radio Panel and the Autopilot Panel (with Flaps Lever, Pitch Trim and so on...) in the meantime... - recommended!

The Saitek software is also first class... - never had a single problem so far.

I still use the good old CH Products Rudder Pedals Pro though... - also very sturdy and reliable for 6+ years now. Before I had the game port CH Products rudders for almost 10 years without a problem. No reason to switch to the Saitek rudders for me.

Hey, another thing I realised, in the walk-around menu, there are two blue rectangles that I can't get to go away.

I know one of them is the stall warning system, but I have no idea what the other one is.

I don't have acess to my fsx computer at the moment, I will post a picture when I can though

Thanks, another thing that is happening is that about a minute and a half after takeoff, I lose all elevator control. Is this a problem with my joystick (Logitech Extreme 3D Pro) or the plane. Then, once I manage to land, I do an inspection and my controls need to be fixed. Once I fix them I restart FSX, run an inspection and nothing comes up so I run the start-up and everything properly and then the elevators break again.

Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance,

qantas_nerd

I'm surprised that your Katana's controls already needed fixing... - I clocked some 80hrs in the meantime and though I also had to do some repairs (beginning after 25 hrs flight time) the controls were not affected yet. That they broke again right after the repair indicates some faulty flying technique... - did you abserve the Vne, manouvering speeds, etc.???

If the plane isn't handled properly, almost all systems and ultimately, the plane itself will fail and/or break.

Because of this second failure right after your repair I believe that your joystick is not necessarily the cause of this problem... - although it could be. Did you notice any oscillations, fluttering or such?

As Bernd advises, the joystick might not be the cause - to eliminate the Katana X and accumulated failures use the reset button, then fly again. Does it still do it?

Also check the latent windspeed as gusting can damage the control surfaces, and in particular the elevators,

There might be a serious wind issue not caused by baked beans or sprouts... :glare_s:

no fluttering, apart from before start-up. i don't have access to my fsx pc at the moment, but i will try to reset it when i can. i am taking off from the right runway and there generally isn't too much wind. should i be using the trim more? it happens towards the end of the climb (i climb at about 10 degrees), right before i start reducing my throttle to maintain speed. also, when i return to land, because i cannot use my elevators, there is always some damage to the landing gear which gets annoying.

thanks for all of your help so far guys

qantas_nerd

Strange! The IAS should not be high enough at the end of a climb to break the elevator. Sure, trimming is always a good idea and reduces strain on the controls and your muscles (at least in real life) but also should not have an impact here.

The only problem I can think of might be your joystick because it works on short ways and may generate too much input force too quickly. Always try to apply input forces smoothly which is more difficult without the feedback of the real plane and even more difficult with a joystick compared to a yoke or a specially designed flight control joystick like the old CH Products flightsticks for example, which had rather long ways to move from one extreme to the other...