Radio volume

EDNR-Cruiser

Hi Marcel,

Would it be possible to control ATC/ATIS volume with the radios volume knob?

Sure, one can also do this via the FSX options menu but wouldn't it be great being able to turn down Langen Information a notch via volume control of the radio as you would in real life???

Any news about the tow bar issue? I destroyed my Katana twice more trying to push it back with the tow bar. As it is right now this feature is just a pain, I'm afraid...

Well, I suppose you never tried to push your Katana backwards with the tow bar and the volume knob is not "an issue" but just a suggestion to improve an almost perfect product even further...

I am not complaining at all! Sure, spending a lot of time enjoying this product reveals some hickups but that's normal... - in fact the Katana is one of the most complete and finished products in the FlightSim business that I ever encountered, weakened only by the fact that I started with version 1.03a and not with the initial release.

Could be wrong on this but I think the volume controls in FSX are programmed OUTSIDE of the sim via directX interface with the sound card. IIRC it had to be done that way to accommodate multiple sound sources in FSX, so that ATC can be routed to headphones or separate speakers or whatever. Seem to remember a topic about this early on in the release of FSX...

And to again draw the analogy with the real world, in the real Kat you generally set the knob to near-max and leave it there, especially if you use ANR headsets. The best volume control in the real plane is the one closest to the pilots ears - usually that means the slider or knob associated with the headset. And if realism is the goal you will most assuredly be using one, so should have such a knob to hand - right where you'd find it in the Real World!

I don't really see this as a `realism` or `product-enhancement` issue. Judged by the fact that no-one else, ever, has mentioned this in the history of Christendom or since the Cretaceous period, I suspect no-one else does either.

I'd put it lower in the pecking order than:

A bag of fake sick to engender the appropriate cockpit ambience after it's been used for air experience flights;

Value-added stickiness of the canopy release after grimy, mucky fingers have done the walkround or

The sympathetic vibration at certain rpm/engine speed combinations that synchronises with the semi-reclined position to induce a feeling of bladder discomfort...

Perhaps we might look at this again after you've thrown up on your flight sim chair, wiped snot all over your joystick - and peed on your shoes? :cry_s:

If you want realism... :glare_s:

Snave, naaaah.... :P

This might be different in the Katana but when I fly our clubs PA-28 for instance, I take off my Sennheiser (ooops - advertisment???) headset once I leave the vicinity of my homebase and use the onboard speaker to monitor the Information frequencies. I then use either the radio or the com-board volume controls to adjust the radio chatter to a more or less pleasant level. When I get close to the destination I put on my headphones again and adjust the volume with the built in controls... - just as you do...

It was just an idea, not a "must"... - I am absolutely satisfied with my Katana 4x but even then I can't stop thinking about another gimmick or two to make it even better... - at least for my own personal taste... :coffee_s::D:rolleyes:

Concerning your latter suggestions regarding realism: my pre-flight briefing always ends with the words: "We don't have bags on board, so behave yourself! Should you fell uncomfortable please inform the dummy on the left front seat. If you fail to do so, he might ask you to leave the "boat" in mid-air..."

• 1 month later...

The problem with pushing the Katana backwards appears on some systems and is a problem within FSX. I am not able to fix this, I could only have removed the whole feature which would mean many others will not be able to push their aircraft also it would work on their computer. ;)

Perhabs I should investigate if the volume item is possible for the next add-ons...