Antarctica X - Your Highlights?

martinlest

Can't see a similar post: sorry if I missed it in my search...

I have flown a few flights now and am suitably impressed (McMurdo to Mt. Erebus & back a recent short one). Just wondered if people have some 'must see' favourites - detailed landing strips, glaciers, icebergs, shipping - anything that you would encourage others to go and explore. It's a big continent and whilst the endless ice is a change from flying over Europe, I reckon I am missing some stunning views somewhere. Where are the highlights of this scenery? If anyone has a flightplan (.pln) maybe they could post the text of it too??

Thanks,

Martin

• Deputy Sheriffs

Martin, there are a lot of challenging things to do and it depends on your personal preferences.

You can do some ferry flights to Antarctica as described in the manual. This of course depends a bit on the aircraft addons you got. At least the sout- and northbound ferryflights can be down with the Twotter, that comes with AntarcticaX.

There are some challenging landingstrips like the base camp at Vinson Massif. ;)

Thanks for the reply. I'll have another look at the manual - I suppose initially I'm looking for eye-candy (aren't we all when we start a new scenery?) - glaciers maybe. Already charmed by the snow clearing machine at McMurdoch!!

M.

marlinlest, mind looking at my recent thread on antartica x and confirm/infirm that i should not have those .blg.blob files in my antartica x foldde? Etienne

I've been flying out of Rothera lately, mostly up and down the peninsula (South Shetland Islands, Sky Blu etc). Rothera itself is highly detailed, and somewhat reminiscent of Gibraltar. Marimbio and King George Island are quite detailed, but there are also 'landing grounds' that are little more than sticks in the snow (and can be quite a challenge to find...)