MS FLIGHT discussion

Keld

I know an awful lot of people with one or two or even more versions of the Flight Simulator in their bookshelves... - lawyers, doctors, teachers, people in high public ranks. Some of these flight sim boxes are still untouched, sealed in shrink wrap!

Why? A lot of people dream of being a pilot of course but even dealing with a simulator is too time consuming, requires too much effort and attention to detail and also some hardware...

In the end perhaps one of ten Flight Simulator owners ever bought an addon, one of five perhaps bought a joystick or yoke, maybe one of 30 ever purchased pedals... - see what I mean?

I know an awful lot of people with one or two or even more versions of the Flight Simulator in their bookshelves... - lawyers, doctors, teachers, people in high public ranks. Some of these flight sim boxes are still untouched, sealed in shrink wrap!

Why? A lot of people dream of being a pilot of course but even dealing with a simulator is too time consuming, requires too much effort and attention to detail and also some hardware...

In the end perhaps one of ten Flight Simulator owners ever bought an addon, one of five perhaps bought a joystick or yoke, maybe one of 30 ever purchased pedals... - see what I mean?

No real disagreement from me, except to point out the Achilles heel of almost all other flight Sims that ever existed was market penetration. Yes, maybe only one in ten MSFS owners brought additional products, but if, as in the case of FS, several million people purchased the product over its lifetime, then even a fraction of those people returning for additional content represents a significant market; one around which almost all of the third party add-ons I am aware of still thrive off of to this very day.

That penetration was achieved by Microsoft's marketing muscles and huge distribution network, but it was also achieved by a product that catered to all comers, and could grow as ones interest grew. Go into learning center/Missions/I'm new In Microsoft Flight simulator and right there is the MS mission statement for the product and the audience they intended to reach. They reached out to everyone, and that's pretty much exactly who they reached.

I expect no less from FLIGHT, and hope any potential competitors are taking note.

• 6 months later...