FSUIPC and the Kat

rocky

I haven't looked back since getting FSUIPC about three months ago. However, for some reason and it may well be finger trouble, I am unable to allocate controls to the Kat. I can allocate auto start and auto cutoff, but no way can I operate flaps, carb heat or prop through FSUIPC, although I can operate parking brake (?) To be fair, I haven't gone beyond these functions at the moment, because these are the main controls I want to sort out initially. I have tried all manner of ways, using the dedicated options in FSUIPC which relate directly to the Kat, through to using the standard options too. It is really annoying as I love this bird so much and yet I'm not flying it quite so much at the moment due to this frustrating issue. I have searched the forum but with little success. As I said, it may well be finger trouble but either way if someone could offer some advice I'd be garteful, cheers fellas.

You could try the Katana together with LINDA. That's a freeware/donationware module to work in conjunction with FSUIPC. You will be able to assign a ton of Katana features to buttons and stuff. Get it at Avsim. http://forum.avsim.n...orum/424-linda/

It looks like this and works fine here.

katp.jpg

It offers support for a large variety of planes, so the Katana is just one. iFly, PMDG, Captain Sim and A2A titles are in the box and the handling of the rather cryptic FSUIPC offsets and macro files also was improved with this neat tool. So don't give up on the first few steps installing it, otherwise you will miss some nice features. :)

You don't have to run every control via FSUIPC though. The default FSX assignments on the brakes, the prop and so on work fine. So if you don't need the extra FSUIPC part there, maybe leave it out.

Hi, Howard. I forgot to say 'happy 2012 to you'. :)

How do I go on with having FSUIPC will it work in conjunction with?

It actually needs a current FSUIPC version to work. Installation is easy, it's just copy and pasting the program's files into the modules folder of FSX, where FSUIPC already resides.

You should backup your current FSUIPC.ini before and then proceed to start LINDA (it's a simple exe file) and configure your hardware once. So if you have throttles, pedals or whatever, let LINDA know.

A note. LINDA does not affect axes of any kind, only buttons. So if you have your throttle calibrated in FSUIPC or default FSX only, nothing changes. The only change will happen in the way you assign FSUIPC offsets, lua stuff, macros and all other cryptic things to certain planes like the Katana.

After the basic setup is done, you might see a screen similar to the one I've posted. And if you fire up FSX, you will see a small text message from FSUIPC that LINDA is running.

The exe is able to detect some well known planes already. So you just click sync and it detects the Katana being in use. You then press a button and see it being highlighted in that LINDA screen. Then, you can assign a Katana feature to that button.

As you see in my list, I have the carb heat and things assigned to my throttle buttons. So I don't have to grab the mouse, but just press that button.

That's the main architecture of the thing. You define the plane in use (or use the auto-detect feature) and assign your stuff once. New/unknown planes need a new profile which will then get loaded every time LINDA detects that plane.

Does it do magic? Yes, sort of. It offers plenty of features for all kind of planes and reduces the workload on the cryptic FSUIPC work which was needed before. So you don't have to set up lua variables and FSUIPC offset values, but just assign a certain feature to a button of your hardware. You don't even have to know what all these things mean. :lol:

They are constantly improving and expanding the list of supported models and you can also use all FSUIPC things you had before, like macro files and so on.

They've included a pdf to explain how people with already assigned FSUIPC stuff should start. As said, the axes stay where they were before, only the button stuff is changed.

Hi, Howard. I forgot to say 'happy 2012 to you'. :)

It actually needs a current FSUIPC version to work. Installation is easy, it's just copy and pasting the program's files into the modules folder of FSX, where FSUIPC already resides.

You should backup your current FSUIPC.ini before and then proceed to start LINDA (it's a simple exe file) and configure your hardware once. So if you have throttles, pedals or whatever, let LINDA know.

A note. LINDA does not affect axes of any kind, only buttons. So if you have your throttle calibrated in FSUIPC or default FSX only, nothing changes. The only change will happen in the way you assign FSUIPC offsets, lua stuff, macros and all other cryptic things to certain planes like the Katana.

After the basic setup is done, you might see a screen similar to the one I've posted. And if you fire up FSX, you will see a small text message from FSUIPC that LINDA is running.

The exe is able to detect some well known planes already. So you just click sync and it detects the Katana being in use. You then press a button and see it being highlighted in that LINDA screen. Then, you can assign a Katana feature to that button.

As you see in my list, I have the carb heat and things assigned to my throttle buttons. So I don't have to grab the mouse, but just press that button.

That's the main architecture of the thing. You define the plane in use (or use the auto-detect feature) and assign your stuff once. New/unknown planes need a new profile which will then get loaded every time LINDA detects that plane.

Does it do magic? Yes, sort of. It offers plenty of features for all kind of planes and reduces the workload on the cryptic FSUIPC work which was needed before. So you don't have to set up lua variables and FSUIPC offset values, but just assign a certain feature to a button of your hardware. You don't even have to know what all these things mean. :lol:

They are constantly improving and expanding the list of supported models and you can also use all FSUIPC things you had before, like macro files and so on.

They've included a pdf to explain how people with already assigned FSUIPC stuff should start. As said, the axes stay where they were before, only the button stuff is changed.

A happy new year to you too my friend. Thanks for taking the time in explaining things for me, very much appreciated. I have now downloaded Linda off the back of your recommendation and I'm in the throws of setting it up. Although I have a feeling I may call on your good nature in the form of the odd question!

Take your time exploring, Howard. I must admit I was a bit picky about LINDA (as it came out) as I've expected a major 'read and setup run' with the installation. But this didn't happen. If you backup your modules folder or just the FSUIPC.ini, you can always go back if things get mixed up.

You may find it being a very useful tool to make use of the magic FSUIPC from Pete. See it as a graphical extension of FSUIPC, which otherwise would have to be set up with the ini file or the small menus in the dialogue.

But don't mind asking things or maybe use the dev's forum section. I had one or two questions when starting and they've answered within minutes.

If you find the thing being too complicated, the world won't end. If you succeed though, it will get expanded and you may find yourself tweaking your birds on the button assignments. That's what happened here.

Maybe a useful note. You will read tons of stuff that stress the support for the VFInsight MCP panel and may think what you are supposed do with that one. You can disregard those paragraphs as you are looking for the simple button assignments only, which are easy to do with LINDA. Much, much easier than working with FSUIPC directly.

the VFInsight MCP panel and may think what you are supposed do with that one.

Yes I did! And yes I have ignored it too! Thanks again for your help CoolP