Where am I? - A little ongoing quiz

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

OK, very-very easy, from a flight I've just started.

Where am I taking off from?

post-71172-0-65454900-1381263666_thumb.j

That's a fully loaded (in payload) PMDG T7, on a flight to Arlanda, with 26 tonnes of fuel, and arriving there with fumes left. :P

This take off demands no derates, and holding the brakes until engines have stabilized to 100% TO/GA thrust.

I suppose some planespotters behind, will be blown off. :P

Can you land and takeoff in Skiathos with the T7?

I've done about 30 flights so far with the PMDG T7.

The aircraft has very powerful engines (and so thrust-reversers as well).

What I've found out is that even close to MLW (for example not more than 10 tonnes below it), I can land easily at runways with length:

- down to 1900m with autobrakes 1 (tested with Bremen)

- down to 1700m (and less perhaps) with autobrakes 2 (tested with Dortmund)

In future flights, I will attempt to push it even further (go below 1500m).

Now, for take-offs, the only limited one I've done was at Skiathos. I had maximum payload (that is maximum ZFW) and about 26 tonnes of fuel. I deactivated all engine derates and held the brakes until engines stabilized at 100% TO/GA thrust.

At the time my wheels left the ground I could still see the opposite runway threshold stripes in front of me behind my windshield, along with a at least one or half of the last runway centerline marking, so by a very rough estimate, I must have had at least 200-150m of runway length left.

Okay that was Varenasi. Somebody else wants to restart with an image?

Sure! Here we go!

Where am I trying to land at?

post-42093-0-69979600-1382672137_thumb.j

Little Hint:

- There's an Asphalt Runway with a full lenght of about 5001 ft.

- As there is a Turf runway as well with a length of about 2501 ft

- The Airfield exists allready since the second world war, originally opened on 22 July 1940.

Negative... :) the Airport I had flown to is not located in the US. :)

As a reminder, to make it a bit more easy for you to get it, I reworked the shot from an other planespotters perspective...

As I found, it was too difficult to match it, because we couldn't even identify the Airport from the present distance and height I was flying at...

So I've done a new shot, just shortly before touching down... and I added two more hints on it as well... you may consider that.

I would say...Interlaken, Switzerland?

Nope! to open landscape.... in switzerland (Interlaken) you have to have at least on one side mountains... so I still think, that this may be somewhere arround Mississippi or up in Canada... even if the hints tell about Europe, it could only be somewhere in Hungary...

Hungary...that sounds just about right.

Or Poland, Germany, or Slovakia?

If it's Hungary, then...Debrecen?

Nope! Can't be Debrecen, cause Debrecen is a much bigger Militaryan airfield... with Military Hangars around, a big Terminal and more stuff as it is located on higher terrain too...

But nice try!

Wow...quite tough..I'm going to make a wild guess and say Pecs.

Pécs-Pogany could be near... i think... but even that is way off... Gyõr-Pér fits it more accurate I think...but even this is a fault-pas :P

Btw. 1400ft 250RPM and 70knts Ground Speed?? What the heck?? that's way too fast! I think that was a fly-by :P

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Archived