T.O./LAND vs. Normal Flight Condition levers

michael-t

When shifting the condition levers from "Normal Flight" to "T.O./LAND", the engine temperature goes slightly up into the yellow range. On the other side, I have learned that the same engines in the PMDG JS41 get cooler when the condition levers are advanced. Per the JS41 manual, this is due to a cooling effect on the engine core of the surplus fuel. Could someone please explain why the Bronco seems to behave different?

Michael

• Aerosoft

I think that's because the propeller setting changes with the condition levers (RPM up, prop flatter, torque down. There is no reason more fuel is injected though as the difference between the settings only changes the lowest RPM (from 70% to 96% in flight). This allows the engine to respond faster.

But Finn (who is at the Christmas diner now) will know more.

When shifting the condition levers from "Normal Flight" to "T.O./LAND", the engine temperature goes slightly up into the yellow range. On the other side, I have learned that the same engines in the PMDG JS41 get cooler when the condition levers are advanced. Per the JS41 manual, this is due to a cooling effect on the engine core of the surplus fuel. Could someone please explain why the Bronco seems to behave different?

Michael

The Jetstream engines have nothing in common with the Bronco motors other than a common core and about three times the power. Not sure if there is ANY commonality in the fuelling system? Anything other than the most sweeping of generalisations is likely fraught with potential blunder.

Propane,

thank you for your comments. I read up the PMDG JS41 docs and "surplus fuel" was my misunderstanding. As you already mentionend, PMDG writes of "reducing RPM is going to reduce the mass-flow".

I also would like to see more precise technical documentation about the Bronco. I admired this plane from the days when I was a little boy. Together with my father, we every year visited the Royal Air Force Wildenrath air shows. The Broncos, Vulcans, Lightnings, Canberras, Belfasts and so on deeply impressed me.

Michael