Runway lenght / STOL operation

Private-Cowboy

Hi

I'd like to ask a question regarding the short field capabilities of the Bronco. What runway length are usually required for Bronco operation? Taking off doesn't need much field since the Bronco has lots of power but landing seems quite difficult to me as the landings speeds are higher than I'm used to and the Bronco lacks airbrakes to slow down.

Thanks in advance.

Hi

I'd like to ask a question regarding the short field capabilities of the Bronco. What runway length are usually required for Bronco operation? Taking off doesn't need much field since the Bronco has lots of power but landing seems quite difficult to me as the landings speeds are higher than I'm used to and the Bronco lacks airbrakes to slow down.

Thanks in advance.

Seems like about a 1000ft ground roll when full flaps, full reverse thrust and max braking are used. 80-90kts on approach with full flaps.

Approach with less than 100kts was quite uncomfy for me as the plane starts to vibrate significantly beeing close to stall speed. I even thought about applying reverse thrust just before touchdown (as I've seen 737s do it) to slow down as hard as possible.

• Aerosoft

Approach with less than 100kts was quite uncomfy for me as the plane starts to vibrate significantly beeing close to stall speed. I even thought about applying reverse thrust just before touchdown (as I've seen 737s do it) to slow down as hard as possible.

I think there is a mechanism preventing that. Would be rather dangerous although there are aircraft that can do it, like the Potter.

But it seriously surprises me that a 737 can activate reverse without the load sensor on the main gear triggered.

I think there is a mechanism preventing that. Would be rather dangerous although there are aircraft that can do it, like the Potter.

But it seriously surprises me that a 737 can activate reverse without the load sensor on the main gear triggered.

It did surprise me too that the 737 can do it but I read that it is possible from 10feet above ground although it's rarely used. Here is the shot ...

190060737.jpg

You can see the reversers opening before touchindown.

After only a few circuits and bumps I've already got comfortable with managing speed with constant power, but deploying gear and t/o flap in stages that mean coming across the fence at 90, then dumping full flap, pulling the power off and banging 'er on, then applying simultaneous full brake and reverse thrust.

One thing I have picked up on is you can considerably shorten the landing dstance by NOT flaring and taking advantage of that soft, absorbent, rugged and squaddie-proof landing gear... :mallet_s:

Reverse thrust on the Bronco can not normally be applied with no weight on the wheels.

The locks that prevents this can be overrided by liften the power lever up and then back into reverse, but this is only to be used in emergency cases.

This has not been implementet in our Bronco.

Finn

• Aerosoft

After only a few circuits and bumps I've already got comfortable with managing speed with constant power, but deploying gear and t/o flap in stages that mean coming across the fence at 90, then dumping full flap, pulling the power off and banging 'er on, then applying simultaneous full brake and reverse thrust.

One thing I have picked up on is you can considerably shorten the landing dstance by NOT flaring and taking advantage of that soft, absorbent, rugged and squaddie-proof landing gear... :mallet_s:

Ahhh yes, They landed on carrier decks and that's why it needed a gear like that. The gear can take it when you fly it down to the ground.

• Aerosoft

It did surprise me too that the 737 can do it but I read that it is possible from 10feet above ground although it's rarely used. Here is the shot ...

190060737.jpg

You can see the reversers opening before touchindown.

Live and learn! Can the PMDG 737 do that?