Sound Impressions?

falcon409

I've been ready some concerns on another website about the sound set for the Bronco. One likened it to the sound of his lawnmower. I know there were limitations because of the type engines and what was possible with the FSX limitations, but does anyone have any first hand "I just flew it for an hour and the sounds are excellent" sort of comments?

Those sounds in the vids may not necessarily reflect what the released version sounds like.

Mr. Kok said in the video comments that there is/was a sound screw-up that was going to be fixed before release.

For some of us. sound is a big deal/deal breaker.

As said, the release version sounds ok for my ears. It is no A2A Jug but its a totally different engine too. The only other turbine I have is the J41 and the Bronco doesn't sound that much different. FSX turbine sound limitations...

I have just downloaded the Bronco and the engines are crackling/distorting when in VC and outside view. Is anyone else having this issue?

They are a bit loud, so make sure that you set the FSX volume sliders to their default value (50), otherwise there might be distortions due to overamplification.

Another possibility would be your sound card driver. You could try updating them if the problem isn't fixed by the volume.

Hi

I have just downloaded the Bronco and the engines are crackling/distorting when in VC and outside view. Is anyone else having this issue?

Stewart

They should not be crackling (try to run DXdiag and set sound acceleration to basic and see if that helps (not an uncommon solution).

The weak point is that current sounds don´t give the "humming" sound the real engines does. Also startup and shut down sounds are too silent.

This is caused by the fact that FSX doesn´t know about the fixed shaft turboprop, it only knows about free turbines where the propeller doesn´t reaaly start to spin before adequit engine RPM has build for the oil pressure to un-feather the props and thus makes them sart to spin. Feathered props causes a huge amount of drag so on a free turbine they stand almost still until the core engine has reached idle speed.

If You haven´t heard the real Bronco I don´t think You will bother, but sounds in FSX are not easy to do right.

You might also notice the red "Sound Off/On" message in the upper right corner sometimes when starting or shutting down the engines.

This is done by purpose via the code cause FSX is really flawed (can still happen). Especially on turboprop engines (jet engines too. F.ex the PMDG 737 NGX has a few issues as well) the engine sounds, or part of them, are still played after being shut down. The only cure is to toggle the FSX sounds Off and then back on again. Thats also why You with the Bronco sometimes will hear the sounds disappear when going to external view. Simply press the "Q" key once or twice to get sounds back.

Not a nice fix, but the only known fix at present.

Finn

Seems that I made the impression that sounds aren´t good in our Bronco.

That was not what I meant !

Sounds are in no way more bad than in most other addon aircraft.

It is just if You ever have heard the real Bronco that You will find that our sounds the "humming" and that the sounds are rather silent during startup and shut down.

It´s not different from when You ever have heard a Spitfire Merlin or the radial sound of a P-47 in real life. No addon for FSX are able to do that right either.

I was just trying to be honest abot my own feelings about reality vs sim and the fact that we might be able to tweak the sounds further for the 2012 update.

Finn

Not sure if those are good examples as they are great P47 and Spitfire sounds by a certain developer.

Turbines just seem to be even more problematic.

I know what developer You mean - thats actually why I chose them as examples ;)

Compared to our Bronco, they aren't alot more realistic - good, but still not perfect, especially in external view.

Finn

Since those are mostly limitations of the platform it's no wonder that different talented developers find similar workarounds.

I'm quite happy with the bronco sounds. Can't say I expected different in FSX. It seems to sound as good as it can sound. Maybe the future will bring other tricksto make things better.

Since those are mostly limitations of the platform it's no wonder that different talented developers find similar workarounds.

I'm quite happy with the bronco sounds. Can't say I expected different in FSX. It seems to sound as good as it can sound. Maybe the future will bring other tricksto make things better.

We are planning to tweak the sounds further, cause we think the Bronco deserves it !

Stay tuned for the 2012 update.

Finn

We are planning to tweak the sounds further, cause we think the Bronco deserves it !

Stay tuned for the 2012 update.

Finn

I sure hope you can tweak it a lot more.. I am not impressed even with the so called "FSX limitation" excuses, I think it can be much better as other developers have been rather successful in bypassing these so called limitations.

there is rather very limited deviation in sound from idle to full throttle. For me it is more likely the same constant sound. But then that is my personal opinion and this should not deter anybody from not getting it.. There are others who love the sounds

I sure hope you can tweak it a lot more.. I am not impressed even with the so called "FSX limitation" excuses, I think it can be much better as other developers have been rather successful in bypassing these so called limitations.

there is rather very limited deviation in sound from idle to full throttle. For me it is more likely the same constant sound. But then that is my personal opinion and this should not deter anybody from not getting it.. There are others who love the sounds

Note that RPM range is only from appr. 65-100% with condition levers at Normal flight. When setting them to TO&LAND RPM is fixed at appr 100%, so don´t expect alot of variance apart from the propeller sound chnges due to blade pitch changes.

Our problem is simply that FSX knows noting about Geared/Fixed shaft turboprops where the prop RPM follows the core engine RPM.

The area I hoope to tweak are the startup and shutdown sounds and then maybe a bit more Bass to the normal engine/Prop sounds - thats really what I think can be done. The sounds used ARE the releal sounds from the Bronco.

Finn

Dear All

Thanks for the advice regarding the the FSx volume sliders. I have reduced the engine sound to 40 which seems to have made a differance. I tried at 50 but I still had the distortion.

Many thanks for your help

Stewart

Not that RPM range is only from appr. 65-100% with condition levers at Normal flight. When setting them to TO&LAND RPM is fixed at appr 100%, so don´t expect alot of variance apart from the propeller sound chnges due to blade pitch changes.

Our problem is simply that FSX knows noting about Geared/Fixed shaft turboprops where the prop RPM follows the core engine RPM.

The area I hoope to tweak are the startup and shutdown sounds and then maybe a bit more Bass to the normal engine/Prop sounds - thats really what I think can be done. The sounds used ARE the releal sounds from the Bronco.

Finn

Thanks Finn, the attention is much appreciated.

• Aerosoft

You mean there is an aircraft with this type of engine where the developers have found a way to avoid all these issues? Keep in mind this an engine type that FSX simply does not know about, it is not the turboprop engine FSX has included. There are very few aircraft made for FSX with this type of engine we know of and all sound not nearly as good and are totally unrealistic in the start-up as they let the prop sound be heard while the props are not moving.