New system - some questions

Hello everyone,

This is a lot of text, but please, bear with me.

I am planning on buying a new pc for FSX. With 'buying a new pc' I mean: buying the components and assemble it myself. I found out that this is way cheaper than buying a complete system. I have seen several systems for say over € 2000 euros which I could get for, say € 1200. But I am drifting off-topic now...

The system I currently have is based on the Core 2 Duo E8400 @ 3.8 GHz. I am already in the posession of FSX for quite some time (once got it as a present) and I can use it, but only for some flying around in light aircraft. As soon as I try to fly more complex airliners (like the Fokker and 737PIC) at Mega Airports (from Aerosoft... who else) I am getting a diashow. So I am using FS9 for all my serious flying. BUT NOW I WANT TO USE FSX!!!

What I want

Of course I have already done (and I'm still doing) some research for a while and I am perfectly aware of the fact that there is no pc in existance that can ALWAYS run FSX at 30+ fps. My main goal is having a pc that can run FSX 'pretty good'. I will be flying a lot of IFR in airliners such as the Fokker 70/100 and the PMDG NGX which I'm planning to buy as well. But I also want to fly a bit more VFR. I'll probably install some VFR sceneries, Ultimate Terrain and maybe REX as well.

I am planning to do a complete overhaul on my system, so the motherboard and everything will go out (I'll probably sell it to a friend), except a OCZ Vertex 2 SSD and 1 conventional 7200RPM 320GB HDD. I will keep my monitor, DVD player etc. My planned budget is around € 1000, but I might spend a bit more when selling my old parts and when I wait 2 months I have 200 more to spend. But I am not prepared to spend an astronomical amount of cash, as it just isn't in ratio with the performance gain.

What I have my eyes on for now

Ok, now the serious stuff. The components I am currently looking at are:

• P8Z68-V Motherboard € 157.90
  • Intel Core i7-2600K (planning to overclock :flame_s: ) - € 289.00
  • 2x G.Skill RipjawsX 4GB DDR3-1333MHz (so 8GB in total) - € 41.99
  • ASUS ENGTX570 DCII 1280 MB - € 339.00
  • OCZ VTX3 25SAT3 120GB SSD - € 164.90
  • OCZ ModXStream Pro 700W PSU - € 79.90
  • Thermaltake P0540 ISGC-400 CPU Cooler - € 49.99

So, I am now totalling at € 1122.68.

This is only what I am planning so far. And I have still some questions. Perhaps you can help.

My questions
    Question about CPU's
    • Is there any benefit (in relation to FSX of course) having the new i7-3820 processor (I believe it is quad-core as well) above the 2600K?

The other socket 2011 CPU's are too expensive, however I can also build a system around the i7-3930K (using the cheapest parts I can find) for about 1200-1300 euro's. But I am not really convinced (yet???) of the performance gain.

Question about the memory (I'm a noob on memory)

• I know the 2600K's memory controller can only handle memory up to 1333 MHz. Is it worthwile to place 1600 MHz memory (I see this a lot on youtube and other fora)? So, I should overclock the memory?

Questions about the SSD

[*]I have currently an OCZ Vertex 2 SSD (180 GB). As you can see I also plan to get myself a Vertex 3 120 GB. But I am a bit uncertain how I should use these in the new system. Should I put the OS on the slower Vertex 2 and FSX on the faster Vertex 3? Or the other way around? What is best to have on the fastest disk?

[*]Can I make partitions on a SSD witout loosing bandwith? I ask this because 120 or 180 GB is a bit excessive for Windows 7 only. Depending on this, I could get a smaller 60GB Vertex 2 or 3 SSD

Note: I will use the 'old' 7200RPM HDD for my downloads and other stuff.

This pretty much concludes my lecture. :big_boss_s: I hope you can help me out.

Thanks in advance.

If I were building a new system, I'd wait for the new processors to hit the shelves in Jan/Feb, just to future proof for 12 months or so. Plus also 4 channel RAM is quite appealing.

Heres info on the new i7 3930K which is my chip of choice. http://ark.intel.com...-Cache-3_20-GHz)

As for SSD's, Id pop for a 60Gb just for the OS any more is just a waste. For FSX, I'm personally buying an Adaptec SATA III RAID card and 2 250Gb SSD's to put in RAID 0 for FSX and all its addons.

The graphics adaptor seems over priced. Ive seen 580's retail for 50 notes more.

Power supplies, I'd stay well clear of OCZ, just a personal choice after destroying 3 of them. If your spending 1k+ on a system, give it a kilowatt PSU.

Cooling the CPU you will be fine with the cooler you mentioned, though for a little more I'd be inclided to get one of the Corsair water coolers, quite and cool!

Thank you for your reply, Matt.

If I go now for the 3930K, my budget doesn't leave me enough for other quality components.

I could wait for the new line of processors to arrive. But my guess is that they will be very expensive, with the top models probably be in excess of 1000 dollar. But the socket 2011 Sandy Bridge E might become cheaper. So, I am not sure yet... Maybe I will wait.

And for the video card, the budget is again my limiting factor. I have already cranked it up a notch as I first had planned for a GTX560-Ti, so I am already reaching the limit of my budget. I have to see how much my friend is prepared to pay for my old system (not mutch probably as it will be a friend's deal).

For the PSU, he, yes that's just a personal experience. I myself know 4 people ho have an OCZ PSU and they all love it.

You know, I simply can't blow my cash on all nice stuff I bump into as I have a car that's not that young anymore and some other factors are around as well.

However I have posted this in other fora as well, I hope to get some answers on my questions. But thanks for your attention Matt.

• 1 month later...

About half a year I did practically the same: Old things out and new one in and I didn´t spend that much money but get very decent performance in FSX (Even with the NGX and most of the sliders to the right.).

That´s what I got back then: A Asus P8P67 Pro Motherboard (for OC, what else), 4 GB of Mushkin Blackline RAM and an i5-2500k CPU (Running at 4,5 GHz for quite a time and no problem at all). I payed for these components arround 400€. Later I got a new PSU (Corsair TX750W).

So far these components give me, paired with my new EVGA GTX 560 SC a very good image and perfect performance. I hope I could help you a bit.