New Computer for FSX

Howdy all. I know this topic has been brought up hundreds of times and i've read through them all but none of them fit my fancy. As of now, FSX on my rig gets around 35fps while flying around Friday Harbor. But when I go to JFK in the QWSIM 757 it goes down to 2fps. I average out around 12fps on a normal flight around Houston in a Cessna, all sliders down to 25% or less. Its so bad I went back to FS9 and even there, some places give me 8fps. I want to save as much money as possible and still one day be able to fly PMDG NGX around Heathrow or LAX at around 35-45fps with all sliders set to around 75%, graphics, traffic, everything. I also want to be able to run YouTube and other applications while on FSX. Can I do anything under a budget of $1000?

Scratch the hopes for 35-45fps with NGX, lets say about 20-25fps in same areas?

Hi Vortex, the question really is dependent upon your present system. Can you plaese post what rig you currently have...

OK, the reason why I asked to see your present specs is it may have been possible to upgrade, but although you could OC your CPU, IMO you need to consider a new rig if you really want to run some of today's addons from some of the major players. As for your budget, I'm unsure about the price of components in dollars, but in UK, you could build yourself a good rig for about $1200, based around an i5 2500k. However, unsure what OS you have, but you need to running Win7 64bit. The big question is, will you be building your own rig?

Im unable to overclock due to my BIOS. I just want to be able to fly wherever I want without 6fps. I have a buddy whose told me a list of parts, including the i5 processor and the total for that is around 850 buck, saying that he can help with price. Heres what he told me

i5 2500k

Nvidia Geforce 550 TI 1gb

Asus P8P67 Pro, if thats the right name

8gb of RAM, always get a message saying my computer ran out of memory

Any opinion on that setup as to how many frames i should expect? What kind of framerates do you get on your rig?

That is a good bit of kit, although, it is important to get named brand RAM and a good PSU. 750w would be OK, but an 850 would be better and be 'future upgrade' proof too. Having 8gb or 80gb, won't make any difference to running FSX, as it is a 32bit program and as such it is restricted to using no more than 4Gb. I have no direct opinion on the GTX550ti, but I guess as it is part of the 5xx sries cards then it has a good thoroughbred. it may be that a 560Ti may be preferable, I suggest you do some research between the two. Get yourself a good cooler. It's unnecesssary to splash out on a fancy water cooler as the SB i5s run reasonably cooler than their predecessors. The Hyper 212 plus is an excellent choice and extremely well priced. As for framerates, well that depends on internal FSX settings and cfg tweaks, not least whether you intend to OC. The processor will easily go to 4.5Ghz with no problem at all, providing you are careful. It could also go as far as 5Ghz, although that may be pushing it a little. As for framerates, I have been doing a lot of testing recently and have some framerates I can share:-

All scenery with REX.

Settings all maxed, except autogen set at normal. Shadows on ground unticked, airplane casts shadow on itself unticked, bloom unticked, sun flare unticked, cloud coverage medium, water settings High x 2, AA and AF set through Inspector.

OC from 3.3 to 4.6Ghz with Bojote's tweaks, incl RejectThreshold and PoolSize.

All framerates are taken from in the VC sat on end of runway.

Orbx AUS, Canberra, NGX: 28

UTX & GEX, UKScenery, Heathrow, NGX: 23

UTX & GEX, UKScenery, Bristol, NGX: 28

UTX & GEX, UK Scenery, Manchester, NGX: 27

Orbx PNW, Anacortes, Realair Duke: 27

Orbx PNW, Skagit Regional, Realair Duke: 28

Orbx PNW, Default Tahoma, NGX: 25

Bear in mind that framerates can vary at airports depending on the settings you choose in the airport's CP. The one thing that is just as important, if not more so, is the smoothness in FSX. As you can see, my framerates and smoothness is more than acceptable. I lock my frames to 30 and during flying they generally never drop below that in fair weather.

Will there be much of a difference b/t the i5 and i7. I found an i5 that runs at 3.1Mhz that I probably will get once i get the money, but I may overclock it to around 3.5-4.0 if possible. As for the GPU, im torn between a few cards.

Actual difference between the i5 and i7 is undetectable in FSX. There are three differences between the two chips 1) The i7 has Hyperthreading which is not used in FSX so is useless, unless you want it for run your rig for other programs 2) The i7 has a very slight more cahe available, but again in FSX is likely to be undetectable and 3) the main difference, the price! For things that are either undetectable or not used you'll pay a fair chunk of money, that's why the i5 is such a popular processor for FSX. IMO I would not bother with the i5 3.1Ghz when for just a few dollars more you can get the 3.3Ghz chip. This is by far the most popular and you can easily OC it to 4.5Ghz. When overclocked to this kind of speed, with a reasonable GPU your rig will rock! As for a GPU, I would highly recommend the GTX560 an excellent card. If money is a priority then you could investigate an ATI card although not as popular and much cheaper, they are nevertheless the choice of many simmers. Remember, FSX is more CPU dependent than GPU, so don't sacrifice your budget on a CPU in favour of a graphics card. If you want the best out of FSX, you need to look at your new rig with the intention of an OC, so bear this in mind with regards to a good quality air cooler and PSU.

Okay. The only other programs ill be running with fsx would be google chrome and windows media player. Would the I5 overclocked to 4.2Ghz be able to handle those programs running at once. And hows about what kind of motherboard, P67?

Okay. The only other programs ill be running with fsx would be google chrome and windows media player. Would the I5 overclocked to 4.2Ghz be able to handle those programs running at once. And hows about what kind of motherboard, P67?

Hiya, sure, but bearing in mind any programs, regardless of what they are, will impact to some degree no matter how little. As for a MB I cannot recommend one in particular, only to say I have an Asus P8Z68-V. Asus are one of the favourites among guys and have a history of building excellent boards. I have to say that I have been very happy with my prebuilt, OC system that I have had for about three weeks now, from OCUK. The thing to always remember is to focus on good quality hardware, made by some of the well known brands. The best thing is to Google some of your hardware 'likes' and make a list and work out a price. Then post your list on here and ask for final advice before parting with any cash.

Okay. Will do. One last question for now, Im using fs9 right now and my cpu is only running at 50% but im getting 6fps in LAX. Any reason why im getting low framerates at the time?

Okay. Will do. One last question for now, Im using fs9 right now and my cpu is only running at 50% but im getting 6fps in LAX. Any reason why im getting low framerates at the time?

Sure, I can't answer that as I have no experience of FS9

• 2 weeks later...

Are you running other programs? In Task Manager you will find how much memory the other programs are running. 6fps in LAX? What add ons are you using? This sounds like you have a system issue. Are you running a browser or youtube while in FS9?

Daniel

Since you have a DualCore CPU, it could be, that only one Core can be used by FSX. With my i7 2600 I never get more than 30% with a few other programs running. But I'm not 100% sure ;)