Antartica X - What planes?

Martin Pampiermole

Thank you for the antarica X scenery. Didn't know that ice could be so hot!

The manual discribes only the twin otter and a other few planes that fly over there. I have a few questions:

- can aircraft on wheels land on the snow/ice, or is it only possible with a ski plane?

- Can jetplanes fly and land for eg at nzir? Can the airbusx land there?

- is it possible to add these custom waypoints to an fmc database? Lets say that I need those if I want to recreate the Qantas tour over Antartica in a pmdg boeing 737

- Could the grand caravan fly in antartica? I don't really like the twin otter. The VC looks a bit outdate since there are a lot of HD planes now.

Thank you,

Martin Pampiermole

• Deputy Sheriffs

Martin,

to answer your questions (some of them are answered by the manual, if you read it carefully)

1. Yes you can land with wheels on ice/snow runway

2. yes you can land the Airbus in NZIR (see manual "Flightplans", Intercontinental flights)

3. In principle yes, but you have to manulally edit the data that came from Navigraph (in case of PMDG). I did this once for testing (not for AntarcticaX), but never did it again, as every time you get a new cycle, you have to do it again.

4. Of course can you fly the Caravan, although it is not a typical arctic aircraft. One of the betatesters is doing a very good looking BaslerBT-67. More informations can be found here and here

Hey Martin,

Here's a list Sascha gave me to do some Liveries for addon airplanes

All these airplanes are flying down there in Antarctica (X -> compatible and available for FSX; sometimes they got antarctic textures)

Aircraft with wheels:

Airbus A319-115LR (X)

Dash-7 (X)

C-17A Globemaster III (X)

IL-76

Boeing 757-200 (X)

Aircraft with skis:

Twin Otter (X)

Aicraft using ski/wheel mix:

Basler BT-67/DC3 (work in progress)

C-130 Hercules (X)

Casa 212

Dornier 128-101 (X)

Helicopters:

AS 350 (X)

Bell 212 (X)

Bo 105 (X)

Atlas TP-1 Oryx (X) -> Aérospitale Super Puma

Mi-8

Westland Lynx (X)

It's kind of funny to land an Airbus down there, it's very special but easy compared to a C-17 landing.

If you need info on the airlines or anything else: feel free to pm me

Regards, Daniel Furnkas

Thank you for the replies.

I did read the manual quit good but it gave me the impression that only planes on ski's could land at some places. So planes with wheels can land everywhere? It also gave me the impression that only prop planes could land in antartica. I guessed there is a reason for that. Maybe because jets can't land there because of the temperature or weight. However a 737-600 might be lighter than a c-139?

• Deputy Sheriffs

Martin,

in real, of course not every plan can land everywhere. As some "airfields" can only be used by skiplans, especially some landingstrips at smaller camps. But this can not be modelled in depth with FSX. And when you look at the chapter I mentioned above, you'll find in brackets the aircraft usually used.