A quick computer specs question before buying

Hi all.

I'm close to buying my first desktop. My expectations for my new desktop is to be able to run FSX smoothly. Hopefully a PMDG NGX in payware airports.

My (hopeful) futere specs are:

I7 2600k 3.4 Ghz (and overclocking to 4.1 or higher) <-- I have extra coolingequitment :)

Gigabyte P67 motherboard

GTX 260 1 Gb

Kingston HyperX 8 Gb ram

500 Gb Seagate 7200 rpm for my other stuff

60 Gb Mushking SSD for FSX

750 W power supply

Anything i should change to be able to fly NGX in orbx airports with resonable FPS?

Best Regards

Lukas

Dear Lukas,

You should think about a SSD with 128 GB (or more) if you have some larger add-ons.

If you take the OS also on the SSD it will take some space and if you add scenery and mesh and other stuff 64 GB are not too much space.

Beside this I also run such a machine (however, with a different GPU) and I am very pleased to say that it handles everything at reasonable fps. Only in Seattle with Orbx (PNW), REX2 and max density of objects fps drop below 20. Elsewhere in PNW fps is always above 40. And I have not at all tweaked the system or tailored the setting as Mathijs Kok has suggested doing.

I have not overclocked my system so that should improve performance at your system.

Best regards,

Till

Don't worry it'll work. I get about 15-20 fps with my I5 760 (2.8GHz) and a GTX460 with the NGX, many addon airports, REX2.0 and VFR Germany.

But as Till suggested you should get a bigger SSD. 120GB would be fine I think. However this isn't that important I don't have one and it still runns.

I was able to overclocked my alienware to 4.5Ghz with an i7-2600k. So far so good. I could push it to 4/8Ghz but not worth the risk since temp will be an issue at some point.

Try to overclock as much as possible (as long as temp is in check, 72.6C) and disable hyperthreading and you will be in command of FSX. You might still have some frames issue is places like NYC while running high settings and add-ons such as Manhattan X, FS Dream JFK, REX etc.

Good luck and show us a video once you get your new gig.

Huascar