Can't turn messages off on GNS and get unwanted Direct tuning

tup61

I've been having two problems ever since I bought the Katana:

1. I can't turn the messages of on the GNS (press and holding the MSG buttons does nothing but shoe me the message or remove it) and I get a bit sick and tired of that constant blinking yellow MSG icon...

2. When I switch radio freqs 3 out of 5 times a single click is registered as a press and hold action, causing the radio to go to Direct tuning mode instead of actually switching the freqs: I have to press the button again to get that done.

Apart from that I found out that the CTD's I am having above PNW are gone when I switch to another plane... I love PNW and I love the Katana: it's the only GA plane I had installed. But usually I get an CTD within half an hour... (which usually has to do with d3d or nVidia-related dll's). Last week I installed a Carenado plane (F33) and I can fly that one for an hour and a half without CTD...

Is the Katana so much heavier on the system...?

I have an i7 2500, GTX580, 8 GB RAM and run Windows 7 64 bit.

It's not the `heaviest` that is the problem - it is more a question of what one might describe as `spot loading`.

FSX will drop precision within gauge functionality before it drops display as fps lowers, so I suspect you've just tipped the balance on CPU load. D3D CTD's are often caused by issues other than the failure of the aircraft that happens to be loaded at the time FSX locks up and collapses.

Ditto the loss of `precision` in the gauge response to clickspot.

Are you running anything else within FSX that sucks CPU cycles? I'm thinking of outside activities such as ATC, weather, TrackIR, that kind of thing?

Have you got a modified fsx.cfg?

I run TrackIR and sometimes ASE. I added [bUFFERPOOLS] PoolSize=0 and HIGHMEMFIX=1 to my cfg: those are the only real tweaks I use. As far as the clickspots are concerned: it happens everytime, when on the ground, in the air, in very dense autogen situations, when there is almost nothing around, so I really don't think it has to do with a too high load on the system.

But I will create a new config, lower all FSX settings and see what the clickspots do, just to be sure.

EDIT

Removed cfg, a new one was created. Set ALL options to the lowest possible, started a flight with the Katana at the runway (and boy, does everything look awful at low settings ;) ): same behaviour. Can't turn messages off and get direct tuning with a single click.

Guess I have to ditch the Katana for a Carenado... Man, never thought I would say something like that... (BTW These clickproblems, on which we are focusing now, aren't of course the main reason for ditching the Katana, the CTD's are. Click errors are annyoing, but CTD's are real showstoppers.)

O, btw, completely forgot something VERY important (because we are mainly talking about those clickspot problems)! The CTD's can be solved by lowering settings like autogen!!! So the CTD's really have something to with the system overloading, but 1. it only happens with the Katana and 2. I didn't buy a new computer to run FSX with LOWER settings than on my old rig (where I did have clickspot problems but NO CTD's)... FSX can run GREAT on my new rig with very high settings and an fps that won't go beneath 23 no matter where I fly (GA in PNW), so I refuse to fly with lower settings just in order to prevent the Katana from CTD'ing... Then I rather fly the F33. ;)

The issue is common. It has to do with co-incident CPU cycle requests and has nothing to do with overall power of the CPU, nor the actual settings within FSX (although they are part of the problem). You might find some respite from closing some other `live` program that ostensibly has nothing whatsoever to do with FSX. All you are trying to achieve is alleviate the `bottleneck` that is causing this particular issue.

Curiously, the best place to start is as usually as far way from FSX and related programs as possible - in a recent troubleshoot on a Win 7 32-bit system I removed a persistent system `hiccup` by simply changing the screensaver!

SOMETHING is clawing for system space and co-incident cpu cycles and although FSX is the cause and the Kat X the catalyst it is actually only `the straw that breaks the camels back`, as we say in the UK.

Outside chance you might find some respite from looking at IRQ conflicts...

Hm, well, I have a pretty new and clean system with almost nothing running in the background. I might want to give Gamebooster a try: not that I believe it will boost FSX (I know it won't boost FSX at ALL), but because it does close down things that more hidden in the background. Maybe it might help preventing CTDs.

Another thing I am going to try (although I still think it's odd that I have to do this on my new rig because I did NOT have CTD's on my old rig with the SAME settings all over!!!) is fly with the 'lite' reduced textures (I suppose they are compatible with 1.03?).

About IRQ conflicts: I have to find out how to find out where IRQ's are conflicting.... ;) I will try what posted above first.

The Katana has been my default plane since the day it was released and that's really quite something! I really would like to keep it as my default plane, but if these problems persist, I will have to move on to another one...

Gamebooster only made things worse, so it seems (stutters). Odd. The lite version of the Katana didn't help either: I even had a CTD once with that one after only 3 minutes... So I switched to the Carenado F33: overall performance was smoother, average fps stayed higher, no ctd's (message on the GPS can be turned off...).

So it's bye bye Katana. It's a shame because I like it very much, but I've had it with the CTD's (and clickspot problems). Farewell.

In sophistication terms (or system resource consumption due to underlying technical merit) The F33 is to the Katana X what a stone axe is to a Glock.

How you could find satisfaction in that is simply beyond me. You can't even check the oil...

And regardless, your system ought to be able to run the Kat X with no problems. You haven't fixed the problem, you've merely donned a blindfold to ignore it.

I suspect that will come back to haunt you later.

LOL Well, after 3.5 months of trying to get FSX to work well, I don't think anyone can say I didn't give the Katana a chance...! ;) I know my system should be able etc. etc. but it just isn't and tweaking and trying for 3.5 months is enough now. I'm done with it. All that time I didn't know the Katana was the source of my problems otherwise I would have ditched it sooner. I also know that everyone else is enjoying the Katana without problems, but I had problems with it on my old PC and on my new PC (on which I at least reinstalled the entire OS three times and set everything up as clean and lean as possible), so... I am totally out of ideas...! What else can I do? Spend another 3.5 months with CTD's and not working clickspots? ;)

BTW About checking the oil: which addon GA airplane lets you check the oil? Not many. If any. Does that mean they are all ###############? I know the Katana is in a different league (all on its own) but I don't have a choice: I have to pass on it. Maybe when a new patch arrives things might work suddenly.

LOL Well, after 3.5 months of trying to get FSX to work well, I don't think anyone can say I didn't give the Katana a chance...! ;) I know my system should be able etc. etc. but it just isn't and tweaking and trying for 3.5 months is enough now. I'm done with it. All that time I didn't know the Katana was the source of my problems otherwise I would have ditched it sooner. I also know that everyone else is enjoying the Katana without problems, but I had problems with it on my old PC and on my new PC (on which I at least reinstalled the entire OS three times and set everything up as clean and lean as possible), so... I am totally out of ideas...! What else can I do? Spend another 3.5 months with CTD's and not working clickspots? ;)

BTW About checking the oil: which addon GA airplane lets you check the oil? Not many. If any. Does that mean they are all ###############? I know the Katana is in a different league (all on its own) but I don't have a choice: I have to pass on it. Maybe when a new patch arrives things might work suddenly.

instead of 3.5 month of tweaking why not get your system running or get a new one???

Just a thought. I have the Kat even running on my humble laptop without any problems

Immersion is the goal. Suspension of disbelief the aim. To achieve this in a flight simulator requires consequences. I find Carenado to be very, very pretty. But without consequences they become boring in minutes - especially when Carenado effectively replicate the same environment in each subsequent conveyor-belt release, but never quite get it right for any....

But the criticism is not of the other aircraft, it is of your failure to deal with the real issue. And the one that will surely find you out.

Many of us have Kat X running entirely acceptably in ############### computers. You don't have a ############### computer yet don't have acceptable performance. That is a function of the computer, not the simulator. Being more Pilate than Pilot won't help you in the long run.

instead of 3.5 month of tweaking why not get your system running or get a new one???

Just a thought. I have the Kat even running on my humble laptop without any problems

You seem to think I bought the Katana 3.5 months ago and spend 3.5 months after that to get it running well. That's not the case: I bought the Katana the day it was released and apart from the problem with the messages and direct tuning it ran rather well on my old computer. 3.5 months ago I bought a new computer and it could run FSX with a lot more detail etc. etc. but I still had those clickspot issues but now also CTD's. I've been trying to fix the PC and FSX, with the Katana being the only plane I had installed, but I couldn't get it done. And just now I found out that if I fly another plane but the Katana, the CTD's are gone... So I DID buy a new PC already. ;)

@Snave: I know I didn't succeed to deal with the real issue, but (let me repeat it again...) I've spend 3.5 months (not all that time of course, but every now and then) on getting FSX run well (it DID run well apart from those CTD's). I reinstalled the system a few times and (of course) everything else runs perfectly fine on my computer (I also use it for design and music). The computer is extremely fast and works like a charm. The only thing that gives me problems, so I found out after all this time, is the Katana. At first I thought it was FSX that didn't want to run well, but it runs perfectly, just NOT with the Katana.

Now obviously there is something in my PC that doesn't combine well with the Katana because everybody else is having no problems: I know that. But after spending all this time on getting FSX to run well I see no other option to skip the Katana. Unless I lower specific ingame settings, but those are the settings I bought my new PC for so and I am not willing to give that up. I wish I could deal with the issue but I am out of ideas (I am repeating myself), so it is MY CHOICE to forget about the Katana for now. Call it whatever you want, but right now I am VERY HAPPY to fly in FSX with smooth performance above even the most dense situations and have ALL the possible eye candy you can get (I prefer eye candy over checking oil, so I guess I am in this hobby for different reasons then you, haha!)

To end this all: let me make clear the Katana is imho the best GA ever released for FS. It was the only plane I had installed and the only plane I flew in since its release (apart from the 737NGX). But right now I rather have a good performing FSX without CTD's and another plane then the Katana. SImple as that.

Immersion is the goal. Suspension of disbelief the aim. To achieve this in a flight simulator requires consequences. I find Carenado to be very, very pretty. But without consequences they become boring in minutes

Oh, ****

Sometimes I hate myself. Why don't I just keep everything I do to myself? But no, I have to post it online so everyone can see what a fool I am...

You were right, Snave: not a day has yet passed and I am back at the Katana already. I finally turned autogen one notch down to Very dense and just did an awesome 45 minute flight without CTD's . Once you are hooked on the Katana 4x no other GA can really satisfy... I told myself the F33 was faster (nice!), had a nice autopilot (cool!), a gear (wow!) and mixture (oh yeah) to fool around with during flights... but man, that thing is... dead...! Before I knew it I was flying on the AP all the time and diving at overspeed to make that approach... And when I started the next flight everything was as it was before I started the previous flight... unchanged. As I said: the thing is dead. And so is every other GA. I thought I was all into eye candy, but I just can't do without the Katana... Not only for its immersion but also for the absolutely awesome view you have out of the VC: no obstruction at all; a magnificent wide window on the world. And the sound: it seems version 1.03 has different sounds? I hear a lot more (spooky) wind...? No AP? Great, then you really have something to do all the time! Slow? Gives you more time to enjoy the scenery and think about life for a while... B)

So, there you have it. After all this time I finally gave in and now fly with autogen at Very dense: less eye candy but I can fly the best GA there is. I am all into checking oil again and taking good care of my baby.

Next time remind me to not post everything I think or do just like that but to wait until I really know what I want and need and like... thank you. ^_^

(It still would be nice if I could get rid of that direct tuning problem: as far as the messages-not-turning-of-on-the-GPS is concerned: maybe I should simply get the RXP GNS540 and make this plane REALLY shine...!)

P.S. If I come back here tomorrow saying I want Extremely dense after all and I like the F33 more: ban me for life, please... :P

Knew it. Once you go Kat, you can't go back... ;)

Carenado are for screenshots and external flyers. The absence of proper, sophisticated systems and even the most basic of cause:effect simulation renders them ultimately unsatisfying for any genuine simmer. There appears to be no desire to fix even the most basic of operating system errors, much less add layers of complexity to get even part way close to the Kat-X, even when those complications are a known factor in the aircraft they choose to model (shock cooling in the T210, different temps between front/rear engines in the 337, TIT limitations in the Caravan, pressurisation in the C340 etc. etc.etc).

I'd ALWAYS rather have a complex aircraft that I can fly simply, as opposed to a simple aircraft I can't add complexity to. There is not a single aircraft in the Carenado lineup that cannot be flown at full throttle, all the time... :confused_s:

glad to hear you got it working ;)

As I said: the thing is dead. And so is every other GA.

...not so for the A2A Cub and the RealAir Duke, at least for engine wear!

With the Katana In my opinion the best GA's ever made!

BTW I sort of solved my problem with that unwanted direct tuning by simply enabling direct tuning right after startup... :P This way I don't have to click twice everytime to make the standby frequency the enabled frequency. How simple is that. ;) I am still thinking to get the RXP 540 to get rid of that blinking MSG all the freakin' time (it IS highly annoying) but it's a bit too pricey for that..

Ok, I understand. However I don't have any problems with that same GNS in other (default planes). It's only in the katana that I can't turn the messages off. Anyway, I solved that problem by editing the xml of that gauge and now messages are off by default. ^_^

The problem with direct tuning is still there but I sort of solved that by using only direct mode now...