Blurry Graphics

Will Furze

Hi,

I'm having some issues with my FSX set up in that no matter what settings I use, my scenery always looks blurry and somewhat bare.

I've attached some screen shots that show what I mean.

Having watched these forums for years I followed the advice of Mathijs and bought a system to pretty much his exact specification:

GA-EX58-UD3R

I7-920

3GB PC10666 DDR3

ATI Radeon HD 4650

MAXTOR S-ATA 500GB

650W PSU

I've tried everything I can think of including different orders of scenery priorities (not sure if that makes a difference but am clutching at straws!)

I have few performance issues, my system generally runs smoothly.

Addons are:

FSX SP2

Mega Heathrow

Cofru X

Mallorca X

Mega Paris CDG

Berlin Tegel X

Koln/Bonn X

Frankfurt X

VFR London

Mega Barcelona X

UK2000 Gatwick

UK 2000 Manchester

SG Tenerife North

Ultimate Terrain X Europe

REX 2.0

Level D 767

PMDG 747

Wideclient

Serial FP2

FSUIPC

As you can see, I've spent some money on this hobby and will happily continue to do so, I just feel I should be getting a better view given the screenshots and videos I've seen of other FSX setups.

I've not done any tweaks, literally just installed and updated.

To reiterate, its not performance I'm unhappy with, even at all settings max I can cruise along at 28-30 dropping to 15 at worst into Heathrow with lots of Vatsim traffic.

Really hope someone can help!

Will

post-29742-0-62472400-1321015286_thumb.p

post-29742-0-40310700-1321015293_thumb.p

post-29742-0-47602800-1321015384_thumb.p

post-29742-0-08421000-1321015420_thumb.p

post-29742-0-38186000-1321015458_thumb.p

Hello Will,

Try setting the scenery settings to default and then check, also blurries were an issue with FS9 but could be helped along in the fs9.cfg so you may want to Google blurries fsx and you will get hits with suggestions.

In your FSX.CFG file have you tried to change the values under the [TERRAIN] section.

LOD_RADIUS=4.500000 to LOD_RADIUS=6.500000

Also in the [DISPLAY] section try adding:

Mipbias=6

See if that helps.

If not, lower your settings slightly as there might not be enough CPU cycles to process everything - FSX is weird beast.

LOD_RADIUS=4.500000 to LOD_RADIUS=6.500000

I have my LOD_RADIUS=9.5 and get superb ground textures using some of the scenery that you've listed, particularly Mallorca X.

Just be aware that any time you enter the 'Display Settings' menu whilst in FSX, LOD_RADIUS gets automatically reset to 4.5 inside your FSX.cfg file.

Hi all, been away on business since I posted this and upon my return spent a whole day messing around with cfg settings.

Taking Shaun's advice I googled "blurries" and applied some tweaks, also Damocles advice and after a load of trial and error now have a much less blurry setup!

Thanks all for taking the time to reply to my post, and thanks garydpoole, I didnt realise the LOD_RADIUS resets each time.

I'll have another little play and hopefully wont have to touch Display Settings again!

Will post some new shots over the weekend.

I have to admit, I was sceptical about messing with the cfg file given the advice in your famous document, especially after buying a system to your specs!

After a bit of trial and error everything is working great now and I'm able to enjoy your fabulous products as they are meant to be seen!

Thanks for taking the time to reply, this is why I lvoe Aerosoft!