Andras Field Online Attraction

Peter Lürkens

Hi,

after a bit of reading about Andras Fields Online attraction I did a try of it to night (with the lite version, so far, but with Payware PBY!). Besides that there was just one other guy who left immediately when I entered the session. Here few of my thoughts:

1) By design, FSX enforces clock synchronization (no choice!), which means my only choice was Night VFR, pretty challenging water landing with moon from back and no runway illumination. Altogether, not very attractive because I also missed the nice Alps landscape. I suppose most people will spend some spare-time during the evening, so the next months, Night VFR or IFR is the only "realistic" option. Not promoting VATSIM or IVAO at this moment, from my few infrequent visits at VATSIM I know, that switching to daylight is allowed, you should indicate this in your remarks. From this another constraint results, that local glider events can practically only happen at realtime in local summer or spring.

How about a shifted server clock, which allows daylight VFR for Europeans? Personnally I'd prefer to have it even more flexible to allow reasonable gliding events throughout the year, but I think this is not possible with an FSX-based 24/7 server. If the clock is rewound by 12 hrs, daylight is available throughout the European evening and even some hours for the US. One could also consider a schedule (some days realtime, some days adjusted for daylight).

2) My own online experience so far is, that feelings during simming totally change once you talk with real guys (and dolls) rather than AI ATC or write e-mails. Once I got heavily insulted (not here nor at AVSIM) by some rogue persons, who obviously were not interested in any other participant on a public sim server.

I requires (me) a lot of effort to start the conversation even with people who I know since long from e-mailing. I think there are many at VATSIM which prefer even text chat rather than using the voice client, although personal conversation is practically not allowed there, and ATC is highly standardized. I think the problem is that you have to develop certain trust in your partners, which normally comes from knowing them in person (which is mostly not the case here). Another problem is lack of proficiency at foreign languages.

How about adding explicit TS3 channels in French, English, Spanish, and German, labelled "Bar des pilotes", "Aero Pub", "Taberna del los aviadores", and "Fliegerkneipe" (or something), to lower entrance hurdles and find more easily people speaking the same language? It is much easier to form a group knowing each other in your own language before going to some foreign language (with other people). If you feel comfortable enough you can always "go next door" and find more friends.

that's my 2c,

Peter

• 2 weeks later...
How about a shifted server clock, which allows daylight VFR for Europeans? Personnally I'd prefer to have it even more flexible to allow reasonable gliding events throughout the year, but I think this is not possible with an FSX-based 24/7 server. If the clock is rewound by 12 hrs, daylight is available throughout the European evening and even some hours for the US. One could also consider a schedule (some days realtime, some days adjusted for daylight).

That's a great idea. And if possible, put in some real world weather.