Possible Wilga X cooling solution?

Zlin142

Hi Folks,

I've discovered a bit disturbing thing on WIlga's virtual cockpit.

In default view hard to operate engine cooling knob because of covered by left side control stick. If the authors would made a 'clickspot' to the control stick's lower end for make temporarly invisible the stick itself, then we can operate the cooling knob much easier.

What's your opinion?

Would require complete remodelling. Never going to happen.

Use keyboard commands - I have mine universally set to `+` and`-` on the keypad. Works across all aircraft.

Would require complete remodelling. Never going to happen.

Use keyboard commands - I have mine universally set to `+` and`-` on the keypad. Works across all aircraft.

Is it not true. Does not require complete remodelling. If you have the special - but not too complicate, I guess - code for making invisible stick, the whole procedure takes only a few minutes in 3dsmax, plus another few minutes for compiling to mdl fileformat. Beleive me, I have a few released aircraft model for FS so I know what I say.

It's not about making the stick invisible, which is easy-ish, it is about removing the stick in such a way as to allow a clickspot behind it to function from the VC...

As a self-proclaimed semi-expert, do try to think about what you are saying before you say it.

• Upvote 1

It's not about making the stick invisible, which is easy-ish, it is about removing the stick in such a way as to allow a clickspot behind it to function from the VC...

As a self-proclaimed semi-expert, do try to think about what you are saying before you say it.

I'm glad to we have an true expert like you. But I would like to hear other people's opinion.

I think those level of designing where these clever guys are, does not means any problem to make this effect. Please you do not decide, what kind of things are achievable and what are not from developer's side, okay? :)

Btw making a clickspot is very simple: just a small polygon (contains 4 vertex) with maximum transparency BUT a special material name that makes a connection between the code and the polygon.

Sorry, my english is not so good, so I cannot continue further explain about model designing.

Always You can take right passenger seat and no problem to get cooling knob or the best way use keyboard for this or external panels.

Thanks so much YoYo, actually now I use this way, but my original solution - about hidden stick - would be much comfortable, isn't? :)

Hello,

For my part I use the TrackIR and I've no problems to operate the engine cooling knob or use other switches, and also for open the doors of the Wilga the TrackIR is perfect because with this device you move your head in any position and operate any parts of the Wilga.

I hope that this idea can help you...

Best regards, Olivier.

Hello,

For my part I use the TrackIR and I've no problems to operate the engine cooling knob or use other switches, and also for open the doors of the Wilga the TrackIR is perfect because with this device you move your head in any position and operate any parts of the Wilga.

I hope that this idea can help you...

Best regards, Olivier.

Thanks for your answer, Olivier! Your solution is more than perfect! But unfortunately, I haven't TrackIR... :( And the developers must thinking about those people too, who haven't any special hardware for FS.

Exactly. No need to remove a stick from an aircraft which requires one (NO autopilot see?) Instead, create or adjust camera view, or simply adjust viewpoint using default FSX keys.

It's hardly difficult.

And Zlin142, if YOU decide these things are achievable, then disavow with my opinion, then please do not tell ME what can and cannot be achievable. Hypocritical, wouldn't you say?

Obviously, there are many here who know considerably more than you. :bow_down2_s:

Exactly. No need to remove a stick from an aircraft which requires one (NO autopilot see?) Instead, create or adjust camera view, or simply adjust viewpoint using default FSX keys.

It's hardly difficult.

And Zlin142, if YOU decide these things are achievable, then disavow with my opinion, then please do not tell ME what can and cannot be achievable. Hypocritical, wouldn't you say?

Obviously, there are many here who know considerably more than you. :bow_down2_s:

As I say before, modify the camera view is not so comfortable solution, because in this case you'll lost original pilot view position that became not too realistic.

Otherwise, TrackIR is the best and the simplest solution - as Olivier posted here. But lot of simmers haven't TrackIR...

Btw, ask PMDG why he decided to make such a special (moving down and/or hidden) yoke on their NGX............

And ask so many other developers........

I don't know, maybe we have an Aerosoft product too.......

Obviously they thinking wrong against you.

NGX has autopilot.

Wilga doesn't.

Lose visual reference for the stick and you lose a vital tool for controlling the aircraft.In the absence of proper force feedback, how else do you tell whether the aircraft is in-trim?

And who said that the camera view modifies the original pilot position? No-one suggested that. Only that you could create a NEW one specifically for this rarely-required function, which is keyboard or controller-button usable anyway. Or move the eyepoint using the default commands - which can then be instantly restored using another keyboard command. All basic FSX stuff.

As the knob offers little in the way of visual clue to the extent of its opening or closing, it's a moot point anyway. If the engine is cold, close it and leave it closed until the engine warms.

If the engine is hot, open it with whatever you need.

When you shut the throttle for descent, close it again to assist in the prevention of shock cooling (or don't as it's not modelled in this aircraft anyway, as far as I can tell).

What could be simpler?

NGX has autopilot.

Wilga doesn't.

I think, autopilot doesn't matter in this case.

The time till you use the cooling knob is very short. And during this time, you can see the stick position on the other side. So you not lose visual reference.

And who said that the camera view modifies the original pilot position? No-one suggested that. Only that you could create a NEW one specifically for this rarely-required function, which is keyboard or controller-button usable anyway. Or move the eyepoint using the default commands - which can then be instantly restored using another keyboard command. All basic FSX stuff.

Sorry, there was a little misunderstanding on my side. Using additional view point by using 'A' key will be a good solution of course, but I think the clickspot still more comfortable.

As the knob offers little in the way of visual clue to the extent of its opening or closing, it's a moot point anyway. If the engine is cold, close it and leave it closed until the engine warms.

If the engine is hot, open it with whatever you need.

When you shut the throttle for descent, close it again to assist in the prevention of shock cooling (or don't as it's not modelled in this aircraft anyway, as far as I can tell).

What could be simpler?

Thanks for your explain, but I have enough experience in real Wilga aircraft. :)

Finally, a few words about your 'self-proclaimed semi-expert' "remark" about me.

I always try to staying humble on any forums, despite 80000+ downloads in my products for FS.

That's all that I wanted to say. Discussion closed on my side.

• Upvote 1

We all have more to learn. Using a pre-configured control is a better solution for your `problem`, given the lack of enthusiasm for the alternatives suggested.

Personally, I don't know why you don't have TrackIR, if viewpoint and the need to look around things is that important. It is the de facto solution.

No further discussion needed.