Small Issue

Skkuda

Feel the need to report it!

Just to clarify it happens just three times and in a random manner, lets say in ten start attempts.

Battery switch and generator switch ges stucked and refuse to move. They make the characteristic noise (Click) but they return to their original position.

Every time that I start the airplane (Checklist in hand) they were attempts from Random park and parked long time.

At first I thought it was a malfunction but passing services and workshops, still refuses to move the switch.

Maybe an Issue maybe not. If someone get the same please report.

Cheers

Generally with some products you have the option to repair or uninstall the game. Try to repair it as the first option, if the problem persists then just post again in this thread and someone may be able to sort it out for you.

Thanks,

Jamie

I Jammie Im not trying to sort it out, Ive already used several reinstalls trying to investigate and use several time repair options in game but workshop didnt listed as an item broken.

Im just reporting a situation (small Issue)

Thanks in advance!

I understand. It's more than likely that the Aerosoft staff and developers will investigate further to see what the problem is. When it does get sorted and the problem can be fixed then a method or what has caused the problem will more than likely be announced in this section. Thank you for reporting your problem anyway, I'm sure some other people may be experiencing this with their aircraft too.

Thanks,

Jamie

Jamie, who made you an expert? You are not even asking the right questions. We appreciate you are currently basking in the warm glow of self-satisfaction after finding Aerosoft - a company celebrating its 20th anniversary - but this is a support forum not the mutual sympathy society. If you can't help, and don't have the same problem, shut up, there's a good chap.

Skkuda, likely as not this is a symptom of the universal PITA in FSX - the `failed battery` syndrome.

Try something useful: When the issue occurs switch to the default Cessna 172 and see if that will start. If it does then switch back to the Kat X and see is the battery and generator switches are now working. Make no other changes.

If it does then you had a flat battery.

FSUIPC in its payware form offers the permanent solution that MS should have offered, but didn't.

Hi Snave. Will give it a try and if happens again will report it back. Good clue you gave me here!

English isnt my native language but I will assume for flat battery = discharged battery right?

I thought about this and the battery was at a yellow state ( graphically at a 70% more or less) So i didnt think that at that level it could make that effect!

Thanks and will try as you say.

Correct, flat=discharged.

Gauge measures static load when no load is placed on the battery. A fully-charged battery should show about 12.7 volts, 12 is flat/discharged. Should not go below 11 when under load.

So if it's in the yellow when not under load, the battery is not fully charged and might be an indicator to confirm what I suggest.

The AMMETER measures the physical load on the battery and if it's in the negative, the battery is discharging. If it's in the positive it is charging.

The problem is that the battery needs power to charge, but to get the power to start the engine needs the battery.

The Rotax is unusual among aviation engines in that it is not using large, slow-moving pistons driving the prop directly, but instead smaller, lighter faster-moving pistons which convert crank rpm to prop rpm via a gearbox.

Much like a car.

So it actually needs less physical power to start but more physical rotation speed. It is this that puts the battery under load strain when starting as it is not designed to cope with that sort of load for any length of time, so if it's not in tip-top condition (or any other devices are also sucking amps when the starter is engaged) you can quite rapidly move into a depleted state...

When you add the stupid, stupid MS electrical representation of battery life (an untended battery discharges in minutes even under light load, which is totally unrealistic for the types and sizes of battery used in most aircraft) you have to coddle the Kat X slightly more than you do the real thing by ensuring that when you start the engine you do so with only the minimum of electrical devices switched on (no avionics, taxi or landing lights, minimal load) then once the engine is started, you must increase the rpm until the generator warning light goes out, as this is tied to the ammeter and indicates charging state, rather than depletion state. Then you can start turning on the other systems.

Useful actually, as the faster idle helps the engine warm as well as charge the battery.

Bloody confusing, this electrickery!

After reading this explanation I ran to the plane and check a few things!

Amazing is to watch the ammeter needle reacting to every electrical switch (Flaps, lights, etc). in a negative side discharging power without generator working to recharge it.

I will say that it is an instructive post, so thanks Snave.