MatzeH84

Hi there..

I've got a new PC now:

i7 2600k

8GB RAM

GTX580

Win7 64

FSX + Acc in windowed mode

24" widescreen (main, at GPU) , 17" 4:3 (additional, at GPU), 10" widescreen, connected via USB, Touchmonitor for CDU

I open a 2D panel. I undock it and move it to my 2nd (or 3rd) screen. Let's say the window is the CDU popup. I type 123, but the numbers are not visible in the scratchpad.. the clickspots themselves are still active, and you hear the audio feedback when pressing the keys. If I now move the panel back to the first screen, the image gets updated and "123" appears in the scratchpad.

So the clickpoints are active and do what they should, but the "image" isn't updated.

If I try to resize the windows while on another screen but main screen, the windows go black and only recover when moved to the first monitor.

I use the latest NVidia (285.62, also tried 285.32beta, 280.26 and 275.33). I have the latest driver installed for the touchscreen (but if I disconnect it the issue remains with the 2nd monitor). WIndows is fully updated.

But I know it works because saturday evening I DID A PERFECT FLIGHT with the CDU fully within the touchmonitor. But since then it never worked again, and I can't figure out why, as I didn't change anything.

Since then Windows update installed some Updates for Win7 64, security updates for .NET 3.5.1 and C++ 2005 SP1. Do you think anything could have affected FSX?

Or have you got any other ideas? I'm open for everything.. I bought this touchmonitor exclusively for FSX to handly the CDU,and now Ican't use it..

Regards

Matthias Hanel

Are you sure that both screens are set to the same color depth?

Affirm, all screens are set to 32bit. Just rechecked this. The proof that it did work- at least on this evening:

foto04642.jpg

And as said, except some windows- updates I can't imagine what would have changed after this.

I found a solution, at least for the touchmonitor.

Its driver doesn't like Aero to be disabled, which happens everytime you start FSX.

Now if you create a .bat with

net stop uxsms

net start uxsms

exit

and lauch it after FSX has started, Aero is enabled again and the 2D panels may be used on the touchmonitor. This should affect many DisplayLink based devices.

On the 17" it's still not working. I can only think of a NVidia driver problem here..

• 3 weeks later...

Matthias,

Are you still having this problem? Have you made any progress solving it?

I found your thread in a google search - I am having exactly the same problem. I am also running an Nvidia card.

Thanks.

Yep. As the Touchmonitor with its own videocard and driver works, I can only think of a faulty NVidia driver. I reported the problem to them but since weeks now never received an answer. I guess noonecares about the FSX-using minority..

Hi Matthias,

Since I posted I did figure out a kind of workaround - perhaps it will work for you too. I simply start a flight on one display, undock and resize the panels as required, then and only after I have them undocked and resized, I move the main fsx window with the VC view onto the second monitor. The undocked panels then keep working, as long as I don't try to resize them again.

Finally I have cracked this incredibly annoying problem of black undocked panels when resized on second monitors tonight. Hopefully my solution works for someone else and can save them tearing their hair out. I read several threads on various forums where people had the same problem and had either not fixed it or had found another solution, so I guess the same symptoms can occur due to more than one cause, however this is definitely worth a try as after trying basically everything else possible I stumbled upon the following solution through a process of elimination.

In fsx.cfg, set maximized=1 so that fsx starts in full screen. Then, after it loads a flight you can alt-enter to return to windowed and undock, move and resize panels as needed. After I've loaded a flight this way, I can even "end flight" on the menu, start a new flight which will start windowed (since exiting a flight windowed writes maximized=0 to the config file and further flights then start windowed) and it _still_ works, it seems it just has to be started maximized the first time. Whether this is FSX or the Nvidia drivers at fault I do not know, nor do I care now I finally have this fixed.

If anyone else does this to fix it, bear in mind that unless you maximize fsx then exit or end a flight from that view, it will save maximized=0 to the fsx.cfg and the problem will come right back next time you start FSX. You either need to exit from fullscreen mode each time or have a configuration like mine where there are "master" fsx.cfg files which aren't written to and are used to generate the "actual" fsx.cfg each start (I used Orbx FSXGo which does this) so that you can set the option in the master cfg file so that it is re-set in the generated fsx.cfg every time FSX is started.

I haven't tried whether or not having maximized=0 in the config but then maximizing and restoring back to a window before undocking anything works, but it might.