X-Plane 10 preview

A computer gets old if you install new demanding software. If you buy a computer and know how to care for it and are happy with your software you bought for it, in a way, your computer never gets "old". Of course, nothing is eternal. I just had to change my screen because it defaulted on me. And a computer can die. But you can't compare a great platform like FSX with a lot of addons and telling me a new virgin platform without addons (in your case X-Plane 10) will be better than the former sim.

In a sense, it's not so much about what I spent on FSX. The reason is about starting all over again without any addons ready in the market for you to enjoy except those 3 not-so-important airports Mathijs promised. It's like buying a brand new computer without software... To me X-Plane without great addons is simply a void simming platform.

I live near Barcelona, Spain and when I saw the X-Plane 10 screenshots of Barcelona I almost fainted... Barcelona is far from being what is depicted there. The screenshots look like if the city was a huge park full of trees when in reality it's full of concrete buildings... I won't even mention about Barcelona's airport... The streets don't even match close to what it really is. You only need google satelite maps to see that X-plane's "plausible world" is really nothing more than a marketing tool so people may believe it and buy it without seeing in a demo how airports and city scenery are done out of the Seattle area. Thanks to AlpilotX everyone could see shots of other areas of the world. Maybe the only plausable world is in the area of Seattle... Now, the mesh seems correct although I must say that for that I have FS Global. And for clouds and water and beautiful sunsets and sunrises I have REX 2 and Overdrive.

I just bought the PMDG NGX for my new i7-2600, 12 GB of RAM and 3 GB of video computer, and boy, does it fly smooth in the most complex scenery... With the great addons I have for FSX makes FSX something like FS20. I agree that FSX solo is nothing more than a boring stale virgin world (even though it included most of the airports in the world, not like the new X-plane). What you add to a sim is what makes the sim special.

I would have to wait some years to really start enjoying X-plane 10 (if that sim gets some good scenery and good aircraft). But maybe X-plane 10 will soon be "old" before devs make a lot of addons for it when version 11 will launch...and 10 will be "outdated".

I hope you get my point. I am not amused with new virgin simulators, be it X-plane, or Microsoft's flight. What makes a good simulator in my opinion are the ones that have lots of addons. It's simply impossible for any simulator developer to make the whole world great looking, and that's why the community needs good addon makers. And the FSX addon industry is thriving with very good quality stuff. That's why I don't want to change. I'll be ready to change when I see great addons for a simulator that has been tried out and great looking. I don't buy Virgin sims.

Happy landings!

Andrew

I agree with you, what I'm saying is that giving the time for X-plane to mature with good 3RD party addons and it will surpass FSX IMOP, special night lighting, 3D clouds, multithreading, the use of all core from your CPU, slope runway, the use of the GPU over the CPU are some of the stuff FSX does not have and that's what will make XP-10 better after some time.

I also have (just like you) a lot invested in FSX so I guess what's frustrating is to have to restart with a new sim and wait for good addons for it, it's called progress but I do understand your point.

I agree with you, what I'm saying is that giving the time for X-plane to mature with good 3RD party addons and it will surpass FSX IMOP, special night lighting, 3D clouds, multithreading, the use of all core from your CPU, slope runway, the use of the GPU over the CPU are some of the stuff FSX does not have and that's what will make XP-10 better after some time.

I also have (just like you) a lot invested in FSX so I guess what's frustrating is to have to restart with a new sim and wait for good addons for it, it's called progress but I do understand your point.

I agree with you. You bet the simulator world can get much better with the computers we have now. If you recall what I wrote before, I never said I'd never change to a better simulator. I'll just have to wait and see what simulator gets the best realism and the best addons. One good way is read the different simulator forums and see what people have to say about them apart from seeing screen shots. That's the way I discovered ORBX stuff...! :)

By the way, runways do slope in FSX, not in FS9. For example look at Aerosoft's "Dangerous Airports" addons and Luckla, from Aerosoft too.

Happy landings!

Andrew