X-Plane 10 preview

Nice to hear that there will be some customization for europe beyond just adding 2 european airports. From what I´ve seen so far it would be odd to have a european city (especially the old ones like paris, rome etc.) build completely out of default "american style" XP autogen. I think XP10 will need a lot of customization to move from plausible to realistic. That takes some time. January is just fine for me, no hurry.

• Aerosoft

Nice to hear that there will be some customization for europe beyond just adding 2 european airports. From what I´ve seen so far it would be odd to have a european city (especially the old ones like paris, rome etc.) build completely out of default "american style" XP autogen. I think XP10 will need a lot of customization to move from plausible to realistic. That takes some time. January is just fine for me, no hurry.

Three high density airports, not two, apart from Innsbruck that is default. And of course autogen always works best outside major cities. X-Plane is now near perfect for suburbs.

If X-Plane put out updates, will these be available to Aerosoft purchasers, or will you provide alternative (edited) updates?

Version 9 required downloading a separate updater program which scanned your hard drive to see currency of files. Perhaps this will be built in to version 10...?

Hey Mathijs

Will XP10 use 64 bit? I know that FSX/9 only support 32 bit.

And can you "export" fsx scenery to XP10 somehow?

I´m obviously not Mathijs but from the XP10 developers blog I can tell you that XP10 will initially be 32-bit only. But Laminar is thinking about a 64-bit version during XP10 version run. But wouldn´t expect this to happen anytime soon.

No export of FSX scenery to XP10. Completely different approaches in creating the scenery now (OSM data, plausible world). Wouldn´t make any sense and is probably technically impossible too.

• Deputy Sheriffs

LOL three airports in the Exclusive Aerosoft European edition and maybe a few other lower detail ones, thanks for helping me to make my mind up, "Flight" it is then.

But if the number of default detailed European airports is your single criterion to choose a flight simulator, please tell us how many of those will be in the default "Flight" simulator.

I'm not after detail I am after quantity, detail can come later with payware airports. I'm certain Flight will have more than a dozen airports, FSX had 8000+ with parking and low detail buildings and over 24,000 airfields in total. I'm not here to argue one sim over the other, I was just here to let Aerosoft know that they will have to do a lot more than 3 detailed airports and a few others to get me to purchase the Exclusive edition of XP10.

• Deputy Sheriffs

Andy,

Thank you for the clarification. From what I understand it will be relative easy to populate airports with buildings and objects from the large library of XP10, so the hopes are that the community will fill the gap.

But let us not make judgements before we see the final products, both XP10 and Flight.

I'm not after detail I am after quantity, detail can come later with payware airports. I'm certain Flight will have more than a dozen airports, FSX had 8000+ with parking and low detail buildings and over 24,000 airfields in total. I'm not here to argue one sim over the other, I was just here to let Aerosoft know that they will have to do a lot more than 3 detailed airports and a few others to get me to purchase the Exclusive edition of XP10.

As Eric states, a lot of work in XP10 has gone into producing a vast library of art assets so that the community can 'click click place' airport / airfield buildings. Airports that only use these default assets get fed back into a central hub and then everyone's x-plane can get updated with this data. This should cover the quantity you're looking for. These airports will be plausible but not precise.

The Aerosoft high detail airports are the 'payware' quality variety and these are a very nice bonus to have in sim. I assume that the other airfields that Aersoft are adding objects to may be using the lego brick system that Laminar have produced, or may have a mix of these with some specific buildings, leaving room for them to sell the accurate Mega Airport sceneries.

• Aerosoft

If X-Plane put out updates, will these be available to Aerosoft purchasers, or will you provide alternative (edited) updates?

Version 9 required downloading a separate updater program which scanned your hard drive to see currency of files. Perhaps this will be built in to version 10...?

The updater is the same as it was, very smooth, perhaps we'll add a European server for that. For our own products we'll use the standard way.

• Aerosoft

But all airports will have all runways, all taxiways, lighting etc. Just not the silly buildings FSX puts semi random on 6000 airports.

And for Flight we only saw Hawaii so far with small aircraft and in daylight. And the notice that you need one heck of a machine to run it (X-Plane also loves hardware of course, no doubts about that). MS have not even said what portion of the world they will cover. You most likely think it's like FSX, I think it's not. The image I attach is from Amsterdam Schiphol airport, default scenery, default aircraft. rather low settings. Now if Flight can match this we'll talk, lol. Keep in mind there is not a single 'night texture' in this image, it's all lit up using the new lighting engine.

I am not sure why so many people feel the need to tell they will NOT buy X-Plane here btw. We never see that with other topics here, nobody wrote they will not buy the Bronco for some reason or another. And to be honest, I think it's just not correct. This is the preview of a product we'll sell and that almost nobody here has seen. And now it is compared with a product we know hardly anything about and that literally nobody here has seen.

post-43-0-60687200-1321986771_thumb.jpg

If people just run the X-Plane demo they are missing the whole point, yes that is very very basic with the noted 3 or 4 airports, but once you have X-Plane the world comes alive, I have 36GB of scenery...36GB!,

That is not the default scenery as that is the add on custom scenery and 16gb of aircraft which are mostly 30 -50mb in size, and we don't even have access to the 700mb scenery payware versions that we will purchase yet, and we expect that now to triple in size in the next 2 years as custom scenery is created for regions and landmarks, and even better is the fact that you can adjust and create the airports exactly how you want them, I spend as much time building X-Plane as flying in the sim, and we haven't even got XP10 yet...oh! and that 36GB of scenery will fit straight into XP10, airports and all.

This is the Point! Custom scenery in my x-plane 9Version is growing and even bigger than yours. From the first Day XP10 will running in my Mac there will be a lot megaairports and little VFR spots.

• Aerosoft

If people just run the X-Plane demo they are missing the whole point, yes that is very very basic with the noted 3 or 4 airports, but once you have X-Plane the world comes alive, I have 36GB of scenery...36GB!,

That is not the default scenery as that is the add on custom scenery and 16gb of aircraft which are mostly 30 -50mb in size, and we don't even have access to the 700mb scenery payware versions that we will purchase yet, and we expect that now to triple in size in the next 2 years as custom scenery is created for regions and landmarks, and even better is the fact that you can adjust and create the airports exactly how you want them, I spend as much time building X-Plane as flying in the sim, and we haven't even got XP10 yet...oh! and that 36GB of scenery will fit straight into XP10, airports and all.

The default world scenery for X-Plane will be around 70 Gb. Eight double layer dvd's!

And MS Flight is aimed for download delivery so it will have to be under 5 Gb as that's what MS feels is reasonable. Now if you have seen the great shots for Hawaii you are looking at 3 Gb of data. Makes you wonder, right?

Will there be separate Mac and PC versions, or will they both be part of the same distro? (and if so, how will the licensing work, i.e. can you install to both Mac and PC?)

Thanks

Tim (home to a confusion of computers of different OS flavours)

• Aerosoft

Will there be separate Mac and PC versions, or will they both be part of the same distro? (and if so, how will the licensing work, i.e. can you install to both Mac and PC?)

Thanks

Tim (home to a confusion of computers of different OS flavours)

Same set of files for Mac/Windows/Linux but I got to ask about the licensing.

Some of the last posts remind me of this thread, where we battled againt each other with the size of our custom scenery folders:

http://forums.x-pilo...x-plane-folder/

Mine is still growing and for sure old time xplaners are happy that their scenery will work with version 10. That's why I am going to have 5865 airports with buildings from the start with xplane 10.

And the good news for people coming from the Microsoft franchise to xplane is that some (! not all !) of the scenery for MSFS is easily convertable (i.e. the buildings and airport layout, but no animations etc.) with the tool fs2xplane. e.g. see this thread:

http://forums.x-plan...showtopic=44099

Guest GoncaloCarvalhoPT

Xplane 10 is now available (US version from Laminar Research)

Demo is available from x-plane.com!

:help_s: Where is the link to make the download of demo? :confused_s: I search all over the X-PLANE official page and nothing. Where do you guys get it???? :confused_s:

• Aerosoft

:help_s: Where is the link to make the download of demo? :confused_s: I search all over the X-PLANE official page and nothing. Where do you guys get it???? :confused_s:

http://www.x-plane.com/

Keep in mind that this is NOT the version we will sell, our version has a lot of additional content and will be a much later, bug fixed, version.