X-Plane 10 preview

That's just not true. I have been in 5 beta's for MS Flight Simulator and I have never been paid a cent. And those were real beta's, from very early, it hardly runs, to release candidates. For FSX I logged 22 bugs, 15 of those were fixed, 11 of those I was the only one reporting them. There are at least 25 people on this forum who were with me in the beta's for FS2004 and FSX.

Mathijs: like I said.. all advanced copies. And if they did actually listen to you guys , how come FSX still has the obvious issues? Or is it possible they use people who don't know the difference since that is the intended audience.

Mathijs: like I said.. all advanced copies. And if they did actually listen to you guys , how come FSX still has the obvious issues? Or is it possible they use people who don't know the difference since that is the intended audience.

Like Mathijs already said, MS used to fix some bugs and leave others. I've had the same experience with all beta versions from FS2000. At the end of the day, they're aming for a release schedule and accept that some bugs will remain, which of course is true of even Aerosoft products. You simply can't sit on a product until every single issue is resolved. As for the people they've used, you can be fairly sure that almost all commercial developers for FS have been active on the beta's.

Mathijs I'm really starting to get a good feeling towards XP10

I already own FS9 + FSX as well as XP9

However until now I've not enjoyed XP9 as much as the MS sims.

One of the major issues I have with XP9 (and XP10 as well so far) is the lack of AI aircraft

Inside my MS sims I have 800+ airlines / general aviation / military flightplans installed

I know XP10 has the ability to show UP TO 20!!!! AI aircraft, but you must agree with mee, visiting EHAM, EGLL, KORD, EDDF, KJFK or KLAX (or any other major airport for that matter) and seeing ONLY 20 aircraft on the stands is a bit of a let down

Don't get me wrong, the new AI system looks awesome, but you must agree that having a FULL model including FULL features for AI which move/behave randomly is just where MS AI system has the advantage using simpler models with simpler textures (only 1 texture and 1 lightmap of max 1024x1024 pixels) which follow pre-composed flight plans (which are relatively easy to make/adjust).

I hope Laminar Research will be able to upgrade the AI system further than what they have planned right now.

Like Mathijs already said, MS used to fix some bugs and leave others. I've had the same experience with all beta versions from FS2000. At the end of the day, they're aming for a release schedule and accept that some bugs will remain, which of course is true of even Aerosoft products. You simply can't sit on a product until every single issue is resolved. As for the people they've used, you can be fairly sure that almost all commercial developers for FS have been active on the beta's.

That's great but you do realize every game made these days requires a digital signature to run. Are you saying companies are registering outside users consoles and then sending them betas? Why would you think FSX was the exception to the internal testing requirements? Were commercial developers required to finish all the missions?

That's great but you do realize every game made these days requires a digital signature to run. Are you saying companies are registering outside users consoles and then sending them betas? Why would you think FSX was the exception to the internal testing requirements? Were commercial developers required to finish all the missions?

Sorry, I don't understand your question or how it relates to the point you made about the MSFS beta testing.

I hope Laminar Research will be able to upgrade the AI system further than what they have planned right now.

Read more about it here

http://www.x-plane.com/blog/2011/10/atc-description-of-a-system-pt-1/

and some older posts:

http://www.x-plane.com/blog/category/air-traffic-control/

don't miss out on the Q&A in the comments.

In short: For x-plane, this is a major step forward. But it is very, very new system in its infancy. They sure want to improve it over time (just like many other aspects are planned to be upgraded through the version 10 run. Like X-Plane version 9.7 is a major step forward compared to version 9.0).

I'm aware of these posts, I've been following the developer blog for a long time now

however, I just wanted to say, that I hope Laminar will be able to improve the system they have planned now

the new system sure has a lot going for it, but it lacks IMHO in 2 big ways:

1 - no schedules can be used like in the MS sims

2 - only 20 max AI planes

I know pc's are currently not powerful enough to run with higher count AI aircraft, but that was just one of the reasons MS used simplified models/textures.

I'm not saying the way MS did is better, no way, however when Austin speaks of trying to create a plausible world, I think major airports should have a lot of traffic.

I am aware that MSFS users may experience this as a limitation (at least initially). Just saying that for us XP-pilots it is an improvement and that we know that further improvements come through the version run (just look what was improved for version 9: http://www.x-plane.com/changelog.html).

What I myself would really want is something different: "Pilotdedge Worldwide". Because interacting with real people and real ATC is a different and more immersive simulation indeed. :)

• Aerosoft

Sorry, I don't understand your question or how it relates to the point you made about the MSFS beta testing.

Indeed, the FSX beta was the same as all the previous beta's. We all got codes and had to register the game just as the buyers later had to do.

As this has nothing to do with the topic (X-plane) we'll close this part of the discussion.

• Aerosoft

Read more about it here

http://www.x-plane.c...-a-system-pt-1/

and some older posts:

http://www.x-plane.c...raffic-control/

don't miss out on the Q&A in the comments.

In short: For x-plane, this is a major step forward. But it is very, very new system in its infancy. They sure want to improve it over time (just like many other aspects are planned to be upgraded through the version 10 run. Like X-Plane version 9.7 is a major step forward compared to version 9.0).

Very good comment. X-Plane 10 changes a lot of things and in intended as the base for future developments. It's rather exiting to be part of that. Takes me back to FS2002.

I bought either version 8 and 9 of XP but I was a bit disappointed because there was no AI traffic, no under development complex aircraft (except jrollon crj-200 or MU-2 Marquise) add-on like pmdg or other, and no ATC (at least like FSX), so.....

I know XP has a more recent architecture than fsx, but I will buy XP10 if some one can answer some questions:

1) Ai traffic, XP will have AI traffic, at least like fsx default? or a possible addon in the future like Radar Contact

2) Does Aerosoft will offer to customer who bought their product for fsx to have a free or discounted version for xp10? I have Katana 4X for FSX and I like to use it in xp10, without re-buy it again for xp10.

3) Does pmdg is working or have a clear plan to develop for xp10? And customer who bought for fsx will have a discount? I have PMDG 737NGX, I don't want to rebuy from scratch it for XP.

4) ATC? At least like Fsx, any news on this side? Or again a robotic voice like in v8 and 9? This is not a realistic atc!

5) I also bought MU-2 Marquise for xp9, will it work for XP10? Retrocompatibility?

Many thanks to all

I can't answer the aerosoft questions, but

1 & 5) Check the links I gave some posts above. Nobody has seen the initial version that's making it into version 10.0 yet.

3) they have a beta version but there is no decisions made just yet. It may well be they never come to xplane.

5) It will. As a matter of fact the developer already announced further improvements to the plane. However, those are really refinement. ALL version 9 (and I guess version 8 also) planes will work in XP10. At least that's what Laminar wants to ensure. (same for version 9 scenery).

• Aerosoft

1. I think part of AI traffic is still in progress but the interaction with ATC is great. It's also fun to give the AI traffic very nasty weather, you see them fight to get the aircraft on the ground.

2. Certainly not free, there is a whopping lot of work going into it and that needs to be paid some how. But for some products you will find FSX/Prepar3d/X-Plane 10 installers next year and for some older projects we'll have cross updates.

3. I think you need to talk to PMDG.

4. ATC is great. far beyond what FSX does.

5. Think you have to talk to the developers of that aircraft and not us.

2. Certainly not free, there is a whopping lot of work going into it and that needs to be paid some how. But for some products you will find FSX/Prepar3d/X-Plane 10 installers next year and for some older projects we'll have cross updates.

Can the same be done with your US cities X?

Thank you very much to all for the answers, I'll follow this project very closely.

Hoping that it can be a turning point in the simulation. Now it seems that the lion's share do p3d (natural heir of FSX, which will maintain backwards compatibility and will be supported by Aerosoft and Orbx) and XP10. Honestly I would be very embarrassed in the choice ....

Mathijs, pleeeeeeease, try to make the Airbus X available for XP10 for X-mas !!!!!

The conversion of FS to X-Plane is to a very different simulation model, it takes a good X-Plane Dev 8 months (or more) to create a good X-Plane product, even with Aerosoft's capabilities and resources i doubt they would do it under 6 to 12 months, Xmas 2012 would be more realistic.

4. ATC is great. far beyond what FSX does.

Hello Mathijs,

would be nice if you could outline why you think XP10-ATC is superior to FSX ATC?

I read the posts on the XP10 dev-blog and from that it seems to me that it will be a very basic ATC from the start:

Pays no attention to obstacles (e.g. mountains) or weather conditions, no speed/gap advice for approach operations, generic instead of customized taxiway-layouts. I´m fine with that and understand that this is the first "real" ATC for XP and that it will be improved and expanded - so this is NO rant at all.

Just curious what your good impression of the new ATC comes from and what you can tell about it.

Thanks

beta 9, the lighting really starts to make sense... There is not a single night texture in what you see here. It will cut development time with at least 15%. That's a lot.

Finally, realistic night lighting on the externals... There is nothing more visually annoying than rolling up to a brightly lit terminal building in FS and the external model is pitch black when you turn off the lights, no reflection, nothing...

That second shot looks the business!

Andrew