X-Plane 10 preview

I am not 100% sure about that, will try to find out.

I just heard from Laminar that only Seattle will be detailed and everything else flat, but they will add more airports over time.

• Aerosoft

I will get XP-10 for sure, I think it will be a big success.....since you mentioned Flight in your thread let me get right to the point about your statement I painted in red, there is no way at all you can make a statement like that about MS Flight just by looking at the same pictures and vid. that we all have access to released by MS, so tell me, on what are you basing your statement on to say that you think Flight will lack flexibility and freedom?

Well I am not at liberty to write down all we know, but Flight is most likely heading towards a rather closed simulator that will only accept add-ons that are solved via MS Store. That's something that we as publisher got major problems with. Then look at what they have shown, Hawaii, Hawaii and a bit more Hawaii. In pretty good detail, but if you want this detail for the world you are looking for a few additional harddisks. And have you seen any large aircraft? Any info if existing products are compatible? If it will even cover Europe?

But as we always said we'll look at Flight when it is released. For now we have no SDK, no good information, no nothing.

• Aerosoft

I just heard from Laminar that only Seattle will be detailed and everything else flat, but they will add more airports over time.

Not flat, the mesh of between 30 and 90 meters for the whole world. And the Autogen will cover the whole world using OpenStreet databases. So very high detail. Keep in mind the base sim will be around 80 Gb.... and the version we will sell (not the same as the version Laminar will sell) will have some more airports in high detail and a good number of airports dressed up to be better then FSX default airports.

But yes, in parts it will a be a fresh start. Using the lego blocks systems it is very easy however to make most default airports look better then FSX default airports. Keep in mind that's also just a vague estimate how the real airport looks.

• Upvote 1

• Aerosoft

Judging by the screenshots that's true. Being a scenery developer that hates to create ugly faked and extremely time consuming night textures for FSX sceneries (e.g. US Cities...), the screenshots of X-Plane show something as close to reality as I have ever seen. The set of available autogen buildings seems to be rather limited (and very US focused in its layout) but I'm sure that this is something that will get even better in upcoming releases (or addons?)

Bests,

Sascha

The default database of objects is about 5 times as large as FSX has. Still limited and just as FSX rather based on US objects but that's something we are solving as we speak. And you will never have to make night scenery for X-Plane, it is just the standard scenery with light sources. Just as the real world. And going from day to night does not mean you got to reload the scenery!

• Upvote 1

Not flat, the mesh of between 30 and 90 meters for the whole world. And the Autogen will cover the whole world using OpenStreet databases. So very high detail. Keep in mind the base sim will be around 80 Gb.... and the version we will sell (not the same as the version Laminar will sell) will have some more airports in high detail and a good number of airports dressed up to be better then FSX default airports.

But yes, in parts it will a be a fresh start. Using the lego blocks systems it is very easy however to make most default airports look better then FSX default airports. Keep in mind that's also just a vague estimate how the real airport looks.

Sorry, by flat I meant, no buildings or ramps at the airports. I agree that the rest will be great!

Well I am not at liberty to write down all we know, but Flight is most likely heading towards a rather closed simulator that will only accept add-ons that are solved via MS Store. That's something that we as publisher got major problems with. Then look at what they have shown, Hawaii, Hawaii and a bit more Hawaii. In pretty good detail, but if you want this detail for the world you are looking for a few additional harddisks. And have you seen any large aircraft? Any info if existing products are compatible? If it will even cover Europe?

But as we always said we'll look at Flight when it is released. For now we have no SDK, no good information, no nothing.

Thank you very much for your honest answer, I've been saying the same things (and more) since day one about Flight's store, addons and the way it will work but nobody (almost nobody) beleived me......there is a lot of tea drinkers around some forums..... :mallet_s:

Very nice! I will sure get XP 10.

The possibility of building lego block airports gives me the hope that some devloper will probably do this on a larger scale and release something like Ultimate Terrain - only for airports (i.e. most EU airports covered with buildings and objects from the library). Probably this may even develop as a joined freeware project.

I would be interested in seeing screenshots of some European Cities - just to see if the autogen looks as good in an organicly grown city as it does in the checkerboard-like cities.

Being in Australia it's great to hear the osm data is being used around the globe.

I'm hearing we should be able to Customize the autogen for each region- big opportunities there! Like an automated Orbx!

Re. Airports, once we all get the new World Editor and scenery tools, many will start building their own local airports (sorry, I'm reserving YMML and YMMB :-) ) and then have those layouts conveniently redistributed via updates, so yes, within a few months the default airports should look pretty good!

Thanks for your work Mathijs, it should be a great alliance with xplane!

Being in Australia it's great to hear the osm data is being used around the globe.

I'm hearing we should be able to Customize the autogen for each region- big opportunities there! Like an automated Orbx!

Re. Airports, once we all get the new World Editor and scenery tools, many will start building their own local airports (sorry, I'm reserving YMML and YMMB :-) ) and then have those layouts conveniently redistributed via updates, so yes, within a few months the default airports should look pretty good!

Thanks for your work Mathijs, it should be a great alliance with xplane!

John at Orbx always said that they were an MS platform developers only.

Yes, I've seen that Alain. It's interesting, 2 camps now, one betting the house on ms, the other xplane. Hopefully both will do well, but having tasted both sims, I feel xplane is the future. Ha, but I've still prepaid for YMMB and YBAS! Maybe they'll sell the airports once the market increases in xplane.

Using the lego blocks systems it is very easy however to make most default airports look better then FSX default airports. Keep in mind that's also just a vague estimate how the real airport looks.

About the lego blocks you can see a very old preview in this video between 1:10 and 1:25

At this time the plan was to share what each user will add like we already do for airport layouts and nav aids (see http://data.x-plane.com/).

Daniel

Alain: your problem isn't that no one believes you, you just seem to make your remarks in the wrong forum, one that's run to the hill with trolls. Sure you may say pipe dream things but they've always been well intentioned. I can't say the same about your biggest proponent who's claim to fame is he once beta tested FSX. The reality is he got an advanced press copy. Beta testing occurs on the Microsoft campus and there are no volunteers. Everyone is paid for beta testing that's just Microsoft's rule. How much?, minimum wage or the equivalent value towards purchases at the Microsoft Employee store where all Microsoft products are 90% off. Oh and they also feed you!

Alain: your problem isn't that no one believes you, you just seem to make your remarks in the wrong forum, one that's run to the hill with trolls. Sure you may say pipe dream things but they've always been well intentioned. I can't say the same about your biggest proponent who's claim to fame is he once beta tested FSX. The reality is he got an advanced press copy. Beta testing occurs on the Microsoft campus and there are no volunteers. Everyone is paid for beta testing that's just Microsoft's rule. How much?, minimum wage or the equivalent value towards purchases at the Microsoft Employee store where all Microsoft products are 90% off. Oh and they also feed you!

Sorry! this one went right over my head, I'm not sure I understand the meaning of your post?

A lot of info about xplane's scenery future is mentioned by Tom in his interview with us here:

http://xplane10.wordpress.com/2011/11/04/developer-interview-tom-kyler-v2-0/

As fledgling scenery devs ourselves, I can say the elimination of having to do night textures is a HUGE advantage. Even for the day, if u are smart, no need for shadow baking either.

The AEROSOFT version of X-plane 10 that will inculde AEROSOFT MEGA AIRPORTS; will these airport remain as they where when they where built for FSX or will they be updated to there current Real World states; ie taxiways, new runways, new buildings etc.

I really dont want to have old Airports in a new sim you klnow whart I mean.

Sorry! this one went right over my head, I'm not sure I understand the meaning of your post?

Alain just saying your ideas are not that wild, the people you discuss them with are. I do read AVSIM I just don't participate. But I do credit you for speaking up about the topic originally, and I do remember my response was a lot of vendors would have nothing to do with. :)

Guest GoncaloCarvalhoPT

If you want to see the presentation Austin gave this weekend (the first time X-Plane 10 was publicly shown) check out this:

It's a rough cut and we are considering making a condensed version.

Hello Mathijs,

The photos you are posting on this topic are amazing. The level of detail is superb but, the video of Austin Mayer presenting the X-Plane 10 are not very good. The detail of the autogen (Roads, illumination ... etc) are good but it have some bugs, big ones. I notice bugs on freeways when the terrain "invade" roads and some electric stuff right on the road. But the big one are the crashes on Windows 7 OS. So, are we facing the same problems with this new Sim like we had with FSX on the beginning? Come on ...

Please Mathijs, don't put ASF12 or 15 on garbage. Considered this: If we Simmers had a flight simulator made by you guys (Aerosoft) I believe we have a more realistic features and a better world with a superb detail. You are the future of this hobby (to some people is them life). If the problem is the base engine, consider Outerra.

Guest GoncaloCarvalhoPT

Goncola: So what if it crashed? It's using every single core what did you think would happen on DAY 1? Kind of like asking a newborn not to cry.

Hi bionicCrab,

Newborn? Come on .... With the experience we had with the last Simulators it's time we have to get a Flight Simulator on the market without this type of issues.

But maybe you want to project a flight and on the middle of progress the sim crashes? Fantastic right? Think about that ;) ....

Actually, my name is Gonçalo not "Goncola" .... learn to type :glare_s:

• Deputy Sheriffs

Gonçalo,

I was at the presentation.

According to Austin this was the first Beta (built the night before the presentation) where all things came together, and this beta had still memory issues.

It's way too early to make assumptions about bugs in the final product, version 10.0

Austin also mentioned that version 10.1 (January/February) will be solely be about performance improvement (and fixes), no new features.

Even microsoft didn't touch multithreading until SP2 and we got two new threads. Austin has 25+ going now not mention the insane levels of lighting and shadowing post processing working flawlessly with it all. Any doubt I had were quickly cleared up by the smoothness of it all.

Alain just saying your ideas are not that wild, the people you discuss them with are. I do read AVSIM I just don't participate. But I do credit you for speaking up about the topic originally, and I do remember my response was a lot of vendors would have nothing to do with. :)

Ok I got you.

• Aerosoft

That's just not true. I have been in 5 beta's for MS Flight Simulator and I have never been paid a cent. And those were real beta's, from very early, it hardly runs, to release candidates. For FSX I logged 22 bugs, 15 of those were fixed, 11 of those I was the only one reporting them. There are at least 25 people on this forum who were with me in the beta's for FS2004 and FSX.

• Aerosoft

Hello Mathijs,

The photos you are posting on this topic are amazing. The level of detail is superb but, the video of Austin Mayer presenting the X-Plane 10 are not very good. The detail of the autogen (Roads, illumination ... etc) are good but it have some bugs, big ones. I notice bugs on freeways when the terrain "invade" roads and some electric stuff right on the road. But the big one are the crashes on Windows 7 OS. So, are we facing the same problems with this new Sim like we had with FSX on the beginning? Come on ...

Please Mathijs, don't put ASF12 or 15 on garbage. Considered this: If we Simmers had a flight simulator made by you guys (Aerosoft) I believe we have a more realistic features and a better world with a superb detail. You are the future of this hobby (to some people is them life). If the problem is the base engine, consider Outerra.

Actually this was the first time even Austin saw it with the Autogen scenery inserted. So it even though we call it a beta that part was actually not even close to beta. Will Autogen have problems? Sure it will, as it automatically generated it will always have issue. Like the water creeping up hillsides in FSX, the fact is that as X_plane uses dozens more databases it will create an autogen that is less 'fake' and more as it should be. Almost every road will be as it is. That's why we'll need 8 double layer DVDs to send it to you.

Our own plans are not related to X-Plane at this moment, but 2012 is for X-Plane in our opinion. Or you fly in Hawaii, lol.