X-Plane 10 preview

Still the NGX is about as platform independant as you can get. It doesn't use the FSX engine, and probably won't use the XP either. There's also a video floating around with whom I believe is J.V. from OrbX checking out Austin demoing the "plausible" world.

Dear all,

as a longtime MS FS user I am curious to see XP10!

This is maybe a off topic but dreaming is so nice:

If there is true multi-core use under XP10. Is there a possibility to use two computers (new one [quad-core] and old one [dual-core]) or even three (New one, old one and laptop [dual-core]) or four ... to enhance the performance of XP10? If the work load is devided to the different cores of one computer is it possible to use different cores on different computers?

Best regards,

Till

Very impressed with what I have seen so far from X-plane 10 @ FSweekend. The scenery and atmospheric effects have really blown me away. However, personally, the only thing that I find disappointing is the emphasis on keeping some of the X-plane 9 aircraft in version 10. Austin mentioned that some of the aircraft will remain unchanged such as the 777 and Cessna 172. I find it strange that this incredible scenery and lighting technology which was on show at FSweekend (which has caused quite a stir, and rightfully so, regardless of the blurry videos on youtube, it still looks fantastic, which says it all doesn't it?) but some of the unfinished aircraft like Austin's mars space planes and the Viggen etc won't have any sort of facelift or just be dropped altogether. They look very dated sitting next to this incredible scenery engine so why not just get rid of them and showcase the fabulous 747-400 or X-15 that Jrollon has created? I think now more than ever it's important for X-plane to look like an efficient, polished professional flight simulator platform and with an updated interface ( I read that this may be on the cards for a future update in V10) and some impressive new aircraft like the NASA 747, Baron and all the other updated VC's like the shuttle etc, I think it has a real solid chance of turning the heads of many other 3rd party developers that currently create for Microsoft's platform exclusively.

But I feel, Aerosoft's backing of X-plane 10 is right on the money. Seriously guys, this is very exciting stuff especially as it has many people who haven't tried XP9 sitting up and taking note! I can't wait to see more. Is it Christmas yet???

Rhydian

Does anybody else think that all the videos and screens shown have too much grass and lawn showing? I searched for this topic but it doesn't seem to have come up. Even in some of the more suburban screen shots there is a lot of grass showing up however if you were to fly in real-life over one of these areas I am sure the chances of seeing large areas of grass are slim (unless of of course you are over a park). (I dont want to sound like I am complaining I was just wondering as I spend a lot of time flying in built up areas and to some of the "mega airports".

Maybe some shots of New York, London or L.A just so we can see what the most heavily populated areas may look like?

Rich

Rhydian: Don't know if I agree with that. The biggest news seems to be about PMDG, doesn't matter how many aircraft Austin's include it's never going to equal one PMDG. Achieving FS2002 3PD addon levels with the Jrollon CRJ is just not that much momentum. But now that FS9 is completely out of the question for PMDG , Xplane might look appealing eventually. But in my eyes X-plane users are almost as bad as pirates, they don't buy anything either.

Richy: You are right but at the end of the day that's how it was designed. A tradeoff between grass and low resolution orthonormal photo. I prefer the grass in all honesty compared to say a brown dirt color. But if you can imagine a modern suburb you have the tarmac, the sidewalk and every other square inch is covered by grass by law. In Canada the average house is 33% brick and 66% aluminum siding. If you want to get fancy you got 100% brick. Obviously the entire world is not going to be covered with that formula and as pointed out several times it can be customized just like landclasses in FS.

Thanks for the reply and yep I agree the grass will be an improvement over some of the past stuff with seen in other sims I just hope it is minimal in large cities.

Rich

• Upvote 1

• Aerosoft

Any Ideas Mathijs when we could have a list of what scenery will be available for XP10, I understand also you will be providing some default scenery as well.

It is almost 100% sure that the X-plane 10 version we will deliver (that's not the same as the version Austin will sell himself) will include high end scenery of Paderborn and Nice airport. We are also trying to dress up the the largest airports in Europe a bit (adding the biggest buildings etc) so it looks a lot better then default FSX.

Later in 2012 we hope to have the whole Mega Airport range available for X-Plane 10. That's a tall order but I can assure you that we will work very hard on that. After seeing X-Plane 10 this weekend with the new scenery engine we know that it is the simulator we need at this moment. It has all the flexibility and freedom that we now think MS Flight will lack and it offers a whole new direction.

• Upvote 1

Mathijs, something that is not clear to me, will airports come with basic autogen buildings kind of like fsx or just empty like inversion 9?

Thanks for the clarification.

Jose

It is almost 100% sure that the X-plane 10 version we will deliver (that's not the same as the version Austin will sell himself) will include high end scenery of Paderborn and Nice airport. We are also trying to dress up the the largest airports in Europe a bit (adding the biggest buildings etc) so it looks a lot better then default FSX.

Later in 2012 we hope to have the whole Mega Airport range available for X-Plane 10. That's a tall order but I can assure you that we will work very hard on that. After seeing X-Plane 10 this weekend with the new scenery engine we know that it is the simulator we need at this moment. It has all the flexibility and freedom that we now think MS Flight will lack and it offers a whole new direction.

Good news Mathijs. I was just wondering, as well as scenery would there be any Aerosoft aircraft included in version XP10.0 too?

Cheers

Rhydian

whilst it is quite clear that xplane is still a few years behind fsx especially when you compare it with ftx scenery but it is heading in the right directiion, i might be tempted to buy the new version just to try it, however being a die in the wood fsx supporter I dont see flight being anything more than an fsx service pack but i do think prepar3d may well surprise a few people given another year os so of development

so roll on the end of 2012

Im sorry if this has been covered before, I couldn´t find it anywhere.

WILL X-Plane 10 cover airport buildings, terminals, Structure - LIFE? The worst thing about X-Plane 9 is the fact that only the one default airport has anything but rwy layout. No airports structures at all, anywhere. Its a little depressing to come to Kastrup airport and find the runways, and then - Nothing else. (and same with the othere 25.000+ airports)

In FSX the airports might not be very accurate (to say the least) in the smaller ones, BUT you still land in an airport, and not on a deserted stripe of concrete, with nothing else surrounding it.

I have seen a lot of pics of X-Plane 10 now, but still no evidence of airport structures. Can anyone illuminate me on this subject?

This has almost certainly been asked before but how hard is it for you guys to convert your fsx aircraft? stuff like the Airbus X?

If your planning on transferring aircraft which ones are you planning on doing?

Thanks

Rich

Thank You for the reply Mathijs, that is very welcome news, certainly we will welcome the Mega Airport range, if you want to put some at the top of the list it would be London Heathrow and Frankfurt, these are sadly lacking in X-Plane in any credible form...and a personal thanks for the work put in over the weekend, including the video....it is very much appreciated.

• Aerosoft

Mathijs, something that is not clear to me, will airports come with basic autogen buildings kind of like fsx or just empty like inversion 9?

Thanks for the clarification.

Jose

I am not 100% sure about that, will try to find out.

• Aerosoft

This has almost certainly been asked before but how hard is it for you guys to convert your fsx aircraft? stuff like the Airbus X?

If your planning on transferring aircraft which ones are you planning on doing?

Thanks

Rich

Aircraft are a bit harder then scenery but yeah we'll sure work on that! Most aircraft projects we'll start next year will be done for X-Plane 10 and FSX simultaneous. And between you and me, PMDG already got the beta.

• Aerosoft

whilst it is quite clear that xplane is still a few years behind fsx especially when you compare it with ftx scenery but it is heading in the right directiion, i might be tempted to buy the new version just to try it, however being a die in the wood fsx supporter I dont see flight being anything more than an fsx service pack but i do think prepar3d may well surprise a few people given another year os so of development

so roll on the end of 2012

You compare FSX+Addon to X-Plane10. Even though you have never seen X-Plane 10 with scenery add-ons (nobody has seen that yet as only this weekend the scenery engine was delivered). Now we can already say that the default Autogen scenery of X-Plane 10 is miles beyond what FSX supplied. I saw stuff this weekend that blew me away. The default X-Plane nigh scenery is better then ANY FSX add-on night scenery.

So I am not sure why you say X-Plane 10 is behind. It's not.

• Upvote 1

The default X-Plane nigh scenery is better then ANY FSX add-on night scenery.

Judging by the screenshots that's true. Being a scenery developer that hates to create ugly faked and extremely time consuming night textures for FSX sceneries (e.g. US Cities...), the screenshots of X-Plane show something as close to reality as I have ever seen. The set of available autogen buildings seems to be rather limited (and very US focused in its layout) but I'm sure that this is something that will get even better in upcoming releases (or addons?)

Bests,

Sascha

Just amazing to see something run with all that lighting. Not only does it look real there's so many instances it's silly. I guess Austin really has been working on XP10, although you wouldn't know it by reading his blog.

I will get XP-10 for sure, I think it will be a big success.....since you mentioned Flight in your thread let me get right to the point about your statement I painted in red, there is no way at all you can make a statement like that about MS Flight just by looking at the same pictures and vid. that we all have access to released by MS, so tell me, on what are you basing your statement on to say that you think Flight will lack flexibility and freedom?