X-Plane 10 preview

This is a mix of autogen and placed objects. But with the point and click interface it's so easy to add objects. More images as we get them.

Thanks for the inforation Mathijs. Question for you, I thought the point and click interface for adding objects was only for airports. Are you saying that XP10 has a library of objects for non-airport scenery and will allow us to place them wherever we want? That would be great if this is possible. Please let us know. Thanks.

Thanks for the inforation Mathijs. Question for you, I thought the point and click interface for adding objects was only for airports. Are you saying that XP10 has a library of objects for non-airport scenery and will allow us to place them wherever we want? That would be great if this is possible. Please let us know. Thanks.

From Ben's X-plane developer blog.

"First: if you want to use our art assets, you get them via the library. Almost every scenery art asset we provide in X-Plane sits in the library somewhere. This includes most of the art assets we use to build airport apt.dat layouts. So whether you want our lego brick terminals, ATC voices, taxiway centerline light strings, or autogen buildings, they’re all in the library and you can “just use them” in your custom scenery by referencing the library."

AWESOME!

From Ben's X-plane developer blog.

"First: if you want to use our art assets, you get them via the library. Almost every scenery art asset we provide in X-Plane sits in the library somewhere. This includes most of the art assets we use to build airport apt.dat layouts. So whether you want our lego brick terminals, ATC voices, taxiway centerline light strings, or autogen buildings, they’re all in the library and you can “just use them” in your custom scenery by referencing the library."

AWESOME!

Yes, this sounds great. I have been reading Ben's blog today and am excited about the information that they have provided the community. I think the collaboration that can occur from the community in creating the lego bricks is going to bring a very new dimension to this sim. I know that I will be just as interested in creating and sharing beautiful visuals as I will be in flying through them.

Hey mike, check our blog out, we jumped into scenery development for xplane awhile back, it's not too hard once u get the basics! You use WED (world editor) to place pre-modeled objects around, but need sketchup/blender/ac3d to build original objects. Lots of good changes to scenery development I hear, they'll announce in good time.

Whoops, almost forgot- as long time volunteer supporters/promoters of xplane (about to be made redundant I think !!), we got some new exclusive screenshots. gobsmacking :-) we are night/dusk lighting junkies and I think they know it.

http://xplane10.wordpress.com/2011/10/28/the-news-heard-round-the-ramps-for-28-october-2011/

FSX add-ons will never be compatible, just a totally different sim. But we are converting a lot of them at this moment.

Mathijs will you be converting Maderia and the Katana4x ?

Hi, really nice but I hear no comment about framerates. I heard from an developper that the framerates are very critical and that PC users have significant less frames as MAC?!

Of course a fast machine will be necessary but xp9 on PC with an I7 and a Nvidia GTX580 was not able to render the building objects with good framerates so I am wondering what is coming up now.

Cheers T.

Hi,

Will there be seasonal textures in X-Plane 10? The missing seasons, together with missing AI traffic where the major things that never let me enjoy X-Plane 9.

Kind regards

Martin

FSX add-ons will never be compatible, just a totally different sim. But we are converting a lot of them at this moment.

As we did XP conversions from Aerosoft Scenerie (just for private tests) we see them with significant slower framerates as converted FlyTampa sceneries, even if we delete a lot of objects like planes, trollies, stairs etc. On some airports the very strong NVIDIA 580GTX slows down to 15% graphic processor power. It looks like the Open GL stopps working. This never happens with FlyTampa. I think just conversion is not enough to make them compatible and worth to buy - the framerate has to be accetable.

Cheers C.

• Upvote 1

Hi,

Will there be seasonal textures in X-Plane 10? The missing seasons, together with missing AI traffic where the major things that never let me enjoy X-Plane 9.

Kind regards

Martin

X-Plane has a scenery pack called Winterworld, that creates a northern winter, it has an upgrade that goes to 40º latitude then below is normal scenery....so you can fly from Dubai in the heat to the cold of London, it works really well.

I know winterworld. But that was quite a poor compromise, to be honest. You have a straight line somwhere in Italy where the textures change from 100% summer to 100% winter. That looks really weird.

Hopefully that will change in X-Plane 10.

Any chance if XP10 works out that Austin will make a train simulator? ;) Those railway crossings get you thinking and that market severely needs a better engine. TS2012 is fun and all but it's not in the same class as XP/FS/GTA.

• Aerosoft

Mathijs will you be converting Maderia and the Katana4x ?

The Katana is more complex then Madeira as it uses so many special functions (and it would be up to Marcel, we just handle the commercial aspects for this product). But Madeira certainly is somewhere on the list.

• Aerosoft

Hi, really nice but I hear no comment about framerates. I heard from an developper that the framerates are very critical and that PC users have significant less frames as MAC?!

Of course a fast machine will be necessary but xp9 on PC with an I7 and a Nvidia GTX580 was not able to render the building objects with good framerates so I am wondering what is coming up now.

Cheers T.

The frame rates are comparable to X-Plane 9, but it makes better use of the available hardware. If you have 4 aircraft flying each will be able to use one of your core for example (so all 4 will have complete and accurate flight characteristics. Of course I can't know what you finde acceptable framerates but with your hardware X-Plane 9 is plenty fast for me.

There should be little difference in speed on different Operating Systems with the same hardware.

On the clouds, I personally care less about what they look like and more about whether they are 3d, volumetric renderings. That is, can the more accurately simulate Cat III conditions which at this point FSX cannot?

• Aerosoft

On the clouds, I personally care less about what they look like and more about whether they are 3d, volumetric renderings. That is, can the more accurately simulate Cat III conditions which at this point FSX cannot?

Yes there are 3d. Big fun to fly just above them.

Yes there are 3d. Big fun to fly just above them.

I have always found that X-plane excels at this. I love the fact on the weather menu system that you have an instant option to set CAVOK, VFR conditions and CAT1, CAT2, CAT3 instantly. I was showing my brother my simpit which runs with X-plane 9 and it was great to be able to instantly turn the weather on it's head. I am hoping X-plane 10 will be even more powerful in this regard, especially with volumetric clouds. That could turn out to be mind blowing.

@Mathijs

Just out of interest will Austin's presentation be streamed or recorded to the Aerosoft website for people who can't make it to the FSweekend. I wish I could go but my wife won't let me!!! :glare_s:

Cheers

Rhydian

The Katana is more complex then Madeira as it uses so many special functions (and it would be up to Marcel, we just handle the commercial aspects for this product). But Madeira certainly is somewhere on the list.

Understand completely about the complexity of the Katana and the difficulty of porting it over to X-Plane. But unless the Katana and some of the other complex aircraft (like A2A's) move over, I won't be abandoning FSX anytime soon. Happy to look at X-Plane, and in fact I've been exploring X-Plane 9 to get the feel for it, but right now I'd expect to use it in addition to, not instead of, FSX.

Just out of interest will Austin's presentation be streamed or recorded to the Aerosoft website for people who can't make it to the FSweekend. I wish I could go but my wife won't let me!!! :glare_s:

Cheers

Rhydian

Good question, any live streaming/blogging so we can all chat about it live? That would be great, I'd even stay up in Australia at 4am for that!

I'm glad they made that decision. I think deep down no one likes being locked out of the Flight discussion. If they locked out 99% of the developers I wouldn't care, but ignoring PMDG, OrbX, and of course Aerosoft throughout your entire development cycle has landed Flight squarely in hot water.

I think this was a misunderstanding. Look at the comments below using the same link. What happened is that PMDG got a copy of the beta 2 days ago and they will look at the possibility of porting them to x-plane.

Jose