X-Plane 10 preview

You are right.. they are different and XP9/XP10 doesn't handle LOD, instead it will just fog everything up so you can't notice all the artifacts due to VRAM shortage, nor can you see all the way to the end of the runway. Hence the concern that we need a real airport, a real airplane, and the actually intended scenery to be running side by side to see if that fog does roll in.

Seeing that this has also been asked over on AVSIM the responses from XP staff is rather uncomforting. So far it's not assembled together, second they are not even planning an RC phase let along a beta phase, and third no features have been "officially" promised to actually be included in the final product. So what you have here is a group of programmers spread accross the US and other countries doing third party development for XP9. Basically they're writing the addons that no one else will, thanks to Austins deep pockets. If you work at Microsoft doesn't matter how small or insignificant your work on Windows or FS is, you have access to the entire source tree and that entire source tree is run through compiliations and testing every night with your changes.

I would be a good gesture for current FS customers to be able to just upgrade their Aerosoft scenery at an upgrade price of say $12.95 on a $29.95 product to the X-Plane version, It would allow them to enjoy XP10 and for Aerosoft to have happy clients, instead of being put in the position of "I have spent a fortune on FS, and I'm not spending the same amount again just to go over to another sim", this way both parties gain.

Just to note, I don't have any FS software (I run totally on a Mac) and is solely an X-Plane flyer so I have no self interest on such a deal, But I will invest in Aerosoft product when available for XP.

Love the lighting WOW! but the clouds just dont look right, more like "painted" arty look.....or it it just me ?

I think so too. The majority of these pics show very dramatic clouds - but 'dramatic' doesn' t necessarily mean realistic to me.

http://forum.avsim.net/topic/351464-avsim-exclusive-screenshots-for-x-plane10/page__st__150 Post #175

Just out of curiosity I tried to match the autogen picture to a similar view in google earth

xp10_01.jpg

ge_01.jpg

Terrain and roads are pretty accurate. What seems a bit off are the spots where there are no "real" houses in real life (parking lots, sports field and so on) - in X-Plane those spots are just lawn. But overall I would say it's pretty neat.

Think you will like this stuff.

Mathijs, just wondering; is the entire globe covered in this kind of high-detailed stuff, or are there only some limited regions with the extra eye-candy, while the rest are just generic tiles like we see in MSFS?

Is it possible to show some pics from Europe and Africa?

Regards,

Frank

Basically the coverage is based on whats publically available from Open Street Map. It doesn't cover the entire planet but it does cover most populated areas. Still better than paid sources.. which Microsoft has used in the past with FSX, but they only ever included road data.

Thanks for those latest pics Mathijs. My eyes are searing from those building shadows! This looks totally different to xp9. Now the already very good payware planes have a very pretty home to fly in- although with scenery this good, I may just stay in my Dreamfoil R22 heli for quite a bit.

Mathijs, just wondering; is the entire globe covered in this kind of high-detailed stuff, or are there only some limited regions with the extra eye-candy, while the rest are just generic tiles like we see in MSFS?

Regards,

Frank

Besides the OSM (open street map) data you can add regional packages, 3rd parties will be able to create different areas and add them in as custom scenery, this way other types of environments (Africa, Middle East, China, Japan) can be created, It will take a few years to cover all the many regions...but the extension is ready to go on XP10 release.

• Aerosoft

Regards,

Frank

This is a mix of autogen and placed objects. But with the point and click interface it's so easy to add objects. More images as we get them.

• Upvote 1