X-Plane 10 preview

• Aerosoft

Love the lighting WOW! but the clouds just dont look right, more like "painted" arty look.....or it it just me ?

No there are all 3d 'fluffy balls' of cloud, that means you get a far better sensation then in FSX when you fly in and out of them.

Does anyone know if FSX Addons will be compatible to this yet? And how are the rain effects in Xplane 10?

And what about the performance?

• Aerosoft

How will it be on the FPS (compared to FSX)? I'm sure you've been informed on that.

It's not easy to compare with FSX (just as it is very hard to compare FSX with FS2004). Per objects shown it is absolutely faster then FSX and for sure not slower then X-Plane 9. But as the world of X-plane is denser and the lighting is calculated in real time you can see lower framerates. But the good thing is that is scales beautiful with hardware. You can always buy better fps, something thats just not possible in FSX. As long as you do not use SLI a faster graphics card will give you faster fps.

Also multicore is far better supported. An aircraft that taxies in front of you will run on another core then your own aircraft. And it will behave perfectly accurate, just as your own aircraft. So those AMD 8 core machines start to have a lot of appeal.

• Aerosoft

Does anyone know if FSX Addons will be compatible to this yet? And how are the rain effects in Xplane 10?

And what about the performance?

FSX add-ons will never be compatible, just a totally different sim. But we are converting a lot of them at this moment.

FSX add-ons will never be compatible, just a totally different sim. But we are converting a lot of them at this moment.

That sounds good, but as I don't only have Aerosoft products, I'd like to know what is different? Is it the type of the files or does XPlane10 only have different paths where to install the scenery files in? If this would be the case I could easily manually copy and paste them in the correct folder for XPlane10.

• Aerosoft

That sounds good, but as I don't only have Aerosoft products, I'd like to know what is different? Is it the type of the files or does XPlane10 only have different paths where to install the scenery files in? If this would be the case I could easily manually copy and paste them in the correct folder for XPlane10.

No it's really a totally different sim, the files will all have to be fully reworked to make them compatible.

No it's really a totally different sim, the files will all have to be fully reworked to make them compatible.

That's sad. I've hoped that I could import the scerys at least manually. Well anyway, I think it is the same for aircrafts then, right?

It's not easy to compare with FSX (just as it is very hard to compare FSX with FS2004). Per objects shown it is absolutely faster then FSX and for sure not slower then X-Plane 9. But as the world of X-plane is denser and the lighting is calculated in real time you can see lower framerates. But the good thing is that is scales beautiful with hardware. You can always buy better fps, something thats just not possible in FSX. As long as you do not use SLI a faster graphics card will give you faster fps.

Also multicore is far better supported. An aircraft that taxies in front of you will run on another core then your own aircraft. And it will behave perfectly accurate, just as your own aircraft. So those AMD 8 core machines start to have a lot of appeal.

That sounds perfect, especially with you joining with your add-ons, but at this point who needs REX on this kind of spectacular view? (Other sim's do need it a lot though)

Hmm interesting thanks for the screens may take the plunge from FSX when its released. The sensation of flying through them clouds, Mathijs may have sold it to me :)

• Aerosoft

That sounds perfect, especially with you joining with your add-ons, but at this point who needs REX on this kind of spectacular view? (Other sim's do need it a lot though)

yes but I think that's what we have to expect. A new sim without add-ons got to be as good as the old one with add-ons. Certainly in graphics.

• Upvote 1

One more question though, will there be all the world airports, I've heard that the previous versions didn't include them ( I didn't own the previous x-plane) or were in rather poor quality.

• Aerosoft

One more question though, will there be all the world airports, I've heard that the previous versions didn't include them ( I didn't own the previous x-plane) or were in rather poor quality.

That database is enhanced and it has all runways etc. But it is FAR easier ti enhance airports because of the 'Lego block' system that allows point and click placing of the thousands of objects. So we expect that world to be enhanced very fast.

• Upvote 1

Guest GoncaloCarvalhoPT

Hi Mathijs,

Will aeroSOFT pondering to project addons for both platforms, such as the Macintosh OS X and Windows?

Are there any videos to be seen for XP10? The only thing I've been able to see so far is XP9 engine + XP10 aircraft. Would love to see some scenery a complex aircraft and an FPS counter.

hi bionicCrab.

Terrain is still in the works and also the preview images are with the OLD(!) terrain and not with the new one. Would be good if Mathijs could add this info because imho this is a important fact!

On the blog of Ben Supnik http://www.x-plane.com/blog/ you can find some videos presenting the new AI and some other things. Everything is not final and maybe not even Beta but you can see a very good plattform is in the works. I wouldnt wonder so much on the fps. I am sure everything will run smoothly and as Mathijs stated you can always buy better fps. Thats something which FSX teached us wrong, if you want to see a awesome engine in action google for Frostbite 2 engine, this masterpiece also works on my old E7400@2.8Ghz without any problems! So with an eye on performance, which Ben Supnik has, expect anything less good than good fps.

best regards

Emmanuel

Emmanuel: I'm aware of Ben's blog as I already am an XP9 customer. That's why I find it shocking there is no five minute teaser of the full XP10 engine with "plausible world" and no photoreal scenery. I was clocking 134 FPS at a default airport in P3D, by the time I loaded Flytampa it was down to 60 FPS, decent aircraft down to 30 FPS. Lets see it handle those loads instead of a video of a 3rd party developer brushing his teeth.

That's why I find it shocking there is no five minute teaser of the full XP10 engine with "plausible world" and no photoreal scenery.

I think the devs dont show something because it isnt ready. Maybe they are still improving the branches they are working on and merging is done in the coming weeks.

But I also dont think P3D is a good compare right now, still it has the same engine as FSX and we know all how hungry it is. Also you cant compare it to XP10 because it works totally different.

Emmanuel

Not sure what you mean that it can't be compared. What else was it suppose to be compared too other than the leading simulator? Now don't get me wrong out of the box XP10 will be a better flight simutaor for sure than Flight. But when you are already paying $40 for each "plausible" region, you might have some severe doubts that all the work OrbX has done so far can be imitated by a single autogen algorithm. Certainly that wasn't the promise, but not directly using photoreal elements is nothing new and should have been achieved by now.

• Upvote 1

I mean by comparing you cant compare two (very) different engines. You sure can compare everything on top like gameplay and experience but a comparison of 2 engines is not possible. Its like comparing apples with pears.

And XP10 and FSX do nearly have nothing in common in their core engines.

I hope its clear now what I mean. :)

best regards

Emmanuel