Take On Helicopters

• Aerosoft

Later this month we'll start selling Bohemia Interactive newest game Take On Helicopters. We were interested in this project because it is a rather serious simulator with a great gaming element in it. Let's start by showing some of the best images... The graphics are really very very nice.

post-43-0-81213100-1318344940_thumb.jpg

post-43-0-88533500-1318344959_thumb.jpg

post-43-0-78513200-1318344970_thumb.jpg

post-43-0-93216000-1318344989_thumb.jpg

post-43-0-79424800-1318345007_thumb.jpg

post-43-0-07274500-1318345020_thumb.jpg

post-43-0-75431500-1318345029_thumb.jpg

post-43-0-17358600-1318345044_thumb.jpg

post-43-0-13949700-1318345066_thumb.jpg

post-43-0-50801200-1318345078_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 1

• Aerosoft

You say "serious simulator". Do you mean in the realms of Dodosim's 206?

On an iPhone, some of the shots looked real world. I had to look again.

Andrew

Well to be honest I think our Huey is more realistic then any existing helicopter for FSX, but that aside... Take On Helicopters has a very nice flight model, I saw some real police chopper pilots fly the sim in Paris 10 days ago and they felt right at home. They did things I could never do and that's always a good thing. The helicopters that are included have systems that are a bit simplified, but I am sure that add-ons will change that. Same as with FS in fact.

What makes this one stand out it the fact the graphics work so well for helicopters. It's real easy to use your eyes to judge distances etc. Something I was never able to do well in FSX.

Near two weeks ago I did review of Preview of Beta version of this title:

http://yoyosims.pl/T...elicopters.html

(its in Polish, try to use google translator)

with some of videos:

http://www.youtube.com/user/rafikst

The Word is very open. It will be nice if in the future we will have some of payware quality addons like scenery or new maps form Bohemia... or form the others developers.

Title is very promissing. I enjoyed this title.

• Aerosoft

The Word is very open. It will be nice if in the future we will have some of payware quality addons like scenery or new maps form Bohemia... or form the others developers.

Think about our Manhattan scenery for this product..... Or Monaco....

My main concern is will I be able to set up my Thrustmaster Warthog and Saitek Pro flight rudder pedals and fly the same way as I would in FS? The issue with most flying video games VS flight simulatiors is that sometimes there is no proper option to set up a external componets leaving you to fly with the mouse and AWSD/arrow keys. I want to know I will be able to set this up fully with my equipment in the very same way I would be able to do in FS. Oh and I also want to know that I will be able to use Track IR with it too. Besides that, I want this for sure!!

• Upvote 1

• Aerosoft

My main concern is will I be able to set up my Thrustmaster Warthog and Saitek Pro flight rudder pedals and fly the same way as I would in FS? The issue with most flying video games VS flight simulatiors is that sometimes there is no proper option to set up a external componets leaving you to fly with the mouse and AWSD/arrow keys. I want to know I will be able to set this up fully with my equipment in the very same way I would be able to do in FS. Oh and I also want to know that I will be able to use Track IR with it too. Besides that, I want this for sure!!

That's a solid yes on all of those things. I spend half an hour setting up my Saitek X52 and Track Ir and now all works just as I hoped it would do. Slewing the searchlight is big fun!

This has already been released as a pay beta elsewhere, its OK but its not as pretty as FSX (ground textures look awful above 500 feet even at max settings) and the flight models are not a patch on the Dodosim 206 in FSX either. TrackIR works but its nowhere near as smooth or as useful as it is in FSX, the range of movement is very limited (couple of inches at most, read useless) in every axis other than pitch and yaw. I just hope the third party add-ons that come out for it have more potential.

Hm, I'm afraid I have to agree with Andy. I also couldn't resist to wait. It doesn't look in any way as shown on the preview screens. I almost maxed all values but it looks just washed out. FSX looks WAY better here. Maybe soemthing will change as it is a beta release, but as it normally should go ready this month I don't expect any changes....

And I was so curious about it....

Well now given the responces from Andy and Macroth, im concerned. Mathijs, do you have a rebuttle to these claims based on your experence? How about some screenshots NOT from the developer?

Hi Newmanix,

I tried to get some shots with my screenshoot tool yesterday, but this didn't work, only my desktop were on the screens after I checked the folder :glare_s: . Does someone know any tool which can be used to get ingame pics?

I tried some of the demo missions yesterday. I'm really not sure about it. It looks and feels a bit like GTA on my XBOX...

The trees and grass is look buggy at the moment at my config, but as it is still in beta, so I don't worry about such things.

If you see this game as an action / arcade / mission sim or game, you may be right here. I expected a serious heli sim with more features, high detaield graphics as it is within borders of a defined region, like Flight unlimited was years (or decades?) ago. But that's the point I'm disapponted about. The buildings really look very detailed and nice modeled, but the GROUND textures are VERY washed out and have a low resolution. Just my opinion...

Let's see what others say, maybe just my view of things, I will go back into my favourite FSX choppers and wait for the final product. Maybe I should have saved the money and better invested it into any upcoming FSX addon.

I'm going one better and making a video of one of the missions included in the Beta, please do not expect a Spielberg type production, it will just be rough and ready as it comes. It's going to take some time to process though, it came to 31.5Gb is size so I need to render it first and then upload it to the tube. I'll post a link here when its done, I'll warn you now its a bit dark as the weather was terrible.

i am very big fan of ofp (not new ofp series) and arma series. this sim looks like based on arma engine.

i love bohemia interactive.

if you like the graphics, i suggest you to try arma 2 and operation arrowhead.

finally, they are almost about to release arma 3, and i can't wait.

Here is the video of the sling mission included in the beta version, I had to reduce the length of the video quite a bit, I didn't realise till later that the mission took 20 minutes to complete. Sorry if it seems a bit dark for you, please try adjusting the brightness in your video drivers for video playback if it is too dark for you. I found a 5% bump in the brightness in the Nvidia drivers for video output to be sufficient. I use Sony Vegas to produce and edit my videos and it tends to darken the image slightly in the final output.

1080p is available.

• Aerosoft

Here is the video of the sling mission included in the beta version, I had to reduce the length of the video quite a bit, I didn't realise till later that the mission took 20 minutes to complete. Sorry if it seems a bit dark for you, please try adjusting the brightness in your video drivers for video playback if it is too dark for you. I found a 5% bump in the brightness in the Nvidia drivers for video output to be sufficient. I use Sony Vegas to produce and edit my videos and it tends to darken the image slightly in the final output.

NICE!

Just a quick note to viewers, the way the car traffic behaves is not as it is in the release version. It was one of the last things they were doing.

I also noticed you had the same problems as I did with the sling load. Damned hard to control.

That is a pretty impressive engine.. I imagine there will be future addon packs?

Sure and confirmed (free of users for 100%, payware - perhaps).

Well now given the responces from Andy and Macroth, im concerned. Mathijs, do you have a rebuttle to these claims based on your experence? How about some screenshots NOT from the developer?

Examples and one camaprision with FSX photo textures

fsx2011101122500845.th.jpg takeonh2011101122115393.th.jpg takeonh2011101122141170.th.jpg

Im happy with quality of this phototextures (sure it doesnt look like modelled textures with 3D objects like roads ect but looks very nice with good resolutions). I hope it will better too in the final version too. Rurar textures are very ok. Urban like above.

I've seen enough. I'm buying it. Thanks for the video. Very helpful! I expect they will continue to improve on it as well including addons and scenery etc...

Looks like fun too!!!

wasn't sure if it was as good as it looks or if it was more of an arcade style game but if Aerosoft backs it up then i will be buying it.

-Travis

It isnt arcade game. On expert level FM will be more realistic, difficult and complex than native FSX.

On expert level it's even more of a joke flight dynamics wise, in the beta version at least anyway. I presume you aren't following the comments on the official forum and bug tracker. Arcade game it most definitely is, so far.

On expert level it's even more of a joke flight dynamics wise, in the beta version at least anyway. I presume you aren't following the comments on the official forum and bug tracker. Arcade game it most definitely is, so far.

? Im there and I had TKOH before beta version. Sorry but I dont like "empty sentences" like this: "its a joke" and nothing else. Give facts and camparision what is wrong and dont talk about official bug like when copter has maximum speed has a problem in beta version. Knowing bugs, only Flight dynamics. Write me about jokes with air lift, influance weather, rolling, banking, influance of ground. Btw. interesting You wrote about jokes from BIS Studios - but You fly on easy level and did auto hover and half of mission on external view? Sorry guys! Sure it isnt Dodosim, but the milestone with simulation behavior of copters in the air.

TrackIR works but.... the range of movement is very limited (couple of inches at most, read useless) in every axis other than pitch and yaw.

The intended effect from developers. Its a simulation of... belts.