GPS moving map

alehead

I am seeing a massive increase in FPS variance when I switch to the moving map function on the GPS.

The Dimona is smooth and the variance is low, even with the GPS on in any other mode. I switch to moving map, and the variance shoots up to 50%, and FS gets stuttery...

Any ideas?

Running an i7 950 at 4.2GHz on air, I run things like the NGX into pretty much any addon airport and still manage to get 20+, just for an idea of the system and its setup.

Andrew

The GPS is based on the default FSX GPS, So You should see the same issue using the default GPS in other aircrafts too.

FPS should not drop more 2-4 FPS with the map visible.

Finn

It is not the actual drop in FPS that I am seeing, but a large increase in stuttering. I stated that the variance in FPS goes from 2-4% up to 50% as soon as I switch on the moving map. I do not see this in any other setup. I will definitely check and see if other default GPS stuff (though I never use it) has the same effect...

The Dimona is as smooth as butter in payware addon environments UNTIL I switch on the GPS moving map... The PC can generally hold the 30FPS the external limiter is set at (which works fine in all other aircraft I have, including the PMDG JS41, NGX, and MD11X), but the variance of FPS goes crazy in the Dimona in moving map mode, which means I see constant dips down to single figures or tens, which I don't even see in the JS41 in YBBN/OrbX!

I'll check out the default moving map in another one when I can... do you want screenshots to see what I mean?

Andrew

No screenshots required..

Generally the GPS moving map takes a toll on FPS, the "spiking / dipping FSX" can also happen, but it really depends on computer specifications and how FSX is setup.

Do You use any FSX.cfg tweaks - and if - which ones ?

Personally I use a FSX.cfg tweaked with Jesus "Bojotes" optimising tool, but I had to change some of the entries inorder to make them suite my particular X setup.

Finn

Never seen it happen on other addons... I checked the C208 default and opened up the default GPS with moving map visible... no change in PS, almost no noticeable change in variance.

I have HIGHMEM=1, a couple of autogen "reduce number of objects" tweaks. I stayed away from the Bojote optimizer, as it suggests things that I do not want on my system. I found the buffer pools entries to cause more harm than good in the long term...

With my current config (I could upload it to you minus the trusted section, if you wish to see, nothing to hide :) ), I get pretty good performance even in the NGX/MD11X/JS41 in EDDF Mega Airport, EDDM, and so on, using cloud draw 70-80 miles, max density, mid autogen settings, nice screenshots I get with my settings, I don't use bloom, nor ENB, I don't have shade. I use an external limiter, not the java based batch creator version, another one, set at 30 I get 30 in most addons all the time, it rarely drops to low 20s in place like OrbX PNW in the Seattle downtown area (with the respective heavier addons), but I have no Cray Super system ;)...

Andrew

• 1 month later...

I have not experienced this sudden increase in variance on any other aircraft on my system. It is unique to the Dimona...

Just wondering if you might have any ideas. It is making the Dimona difficult to use if I want the moving map displayed. I have no FPS issue without the moving map being displayed...

Andrew

• 2 months later...

Just to bump this... anything come of this? I cannot use the moving map on the Dimona's GPS, as the fps variance shoots up to 50% and makes the gameplay choppy even in less populated areas...

Andrew

• 1 month later...

Another bump from me. I am searching the web since I bought the Dimona. Look at my signature, I have an up-to-date system and FSX runs fine. The Dimona has been a problem child until I found a work-around I will describe below. Unlike any other add-on that makes use of the standard MS-GPS the Dimona`s moving map creates micro-stuttering. Further more, it seems to disturb the otherwise wonderful working FPS-limiter as FPS are constantly jumping from 16 to 40. I use 27 FPS for the limiter and without the moving map the Dimona flies with excellent performance and 27 FPS in every situation. My personal work around is the following: I dial a direct-to and change to the HSI/rose mode as this one does not affect the performance. Unchecking airports, navaids and so on in the GPS menue makes no difference.

Unfortunately, I am another user that can confirm that there is a "serious" problem with the way the Dimona handles the GPS moving map function.

EDIT: As a new owner of the Bronco I made the same oberservation with the Bronco`s GPS moving map. FPS limiter goes crazy and unflyable microstuttering.

Hmm, sorry, this is really strange.

I will ask Finn again, but we and the testers, and I thing the majority of the users simply don't have this problem. I think about some incompatiblity with some other add ons or software. (Though I don't know, wich)

This is all I can do at the moment. But since the Bronco is rather new, we maybe have a chance, to get more people with this problem.

Bests, Joachim

I can confirm this. It seems to me an issue when the GPS is used in as part of the VC. This Discus has a similar effect. I wouldn't go as far to say it becomes unflyable, but it is annoying in some way.

Maybe it depends also on the type of graphics card. Mine is a NV 9600GT.

best regards,

Peter

I can confirm the strong performance dip as well when the moving map is active. For proper flying without stutters I have to switch off the moving map and just follow the HSI. The same is true for the Bronco X GPS, by the way. I don't get these map performance problems with any aircraft that use the unmodified FSX GPS map.

Well, we talk about 2 different things here:

First performance with moving map on: This is a FSX problem and cannot be solved by us. All moving map systems in VC cause a more or less havy impact on framerates.

Second: Sebastians problem who has jumping framecounts and microstutters caused by the mapsystem.

I think these are 2 different things.

Bests, Joachim

Now I own the Bronco X, too. And what shall I say? It is the same with the moving map and those micro-stutters. I can confirm that the standard GPS in moving map mode does not impact FPS on my system. I tried it with several add-ons like the Ant`s airplanes, some Carenados and the BayTower RV-7.

So, I don`t want to call it a simple FPS-drop. It is exactly as you mentioned: jumping framecounts outside the range of the FPS limiter. These jumping framecounts seem to be the reason for micro-stuttering.

On my opinion, more people suffer from this problem then do complain in this forum. Like another member wrote: one should not call it unflyable but disturbing.

Perhaps, you can find a solution. I am looking forward to your Robin and watching that well known kind of GPS on the preview screens scares me a bit...

Its the fact, that so less people complained in such a long time after release, that confuses me.

However, it seems that Peter found a solution. We will test and release it if it works fine!

Cheers, Joachim

Well, we talk about 2 different things here:

First performance with moving map on: This is a FSX problem and cannot be solved by us. All moving map systems in VC cause a more or less havy impact on framerates.

Second: Sebastians problem who has jumping framecounts and microstutters caused by the mapsystem.

I think these are 2 different things.

I don't think that those are two different problems. They were just labeled differently by different users. In my book "microstutters/framerate fluctations" are "performance problems" and "performance problems" can be "microstutters/framerate fluctuations. The difference lies only in semantics. ;)

Everyone here is probably not talking about the normal (next to unnoticable) performance reduction when using a GPS, but about the very noticable performance problem/stuttering that really only happens with the Dimona's moving map (and the Bronco's).

Its the fact, that so less people complained in such a long time after release, that confuses me.

Well, it was mentioned several times shortly after the Dimona's release. When nothing happened about it people probably thought that no one cared to look into it and started using the work-around of simply not using the moving map.

Hmm, in this case I must apologize, because I thought, that people are complaining about the normal FPS drop when using the standard GPS system, wich causes a significant FPS drop on most systems.

We are currently testing a possible solution for this.

Cheers, Joachim

That's great to hear. Thank you for looking into this!

The Dimona X is a great aircraft that I take for a nice relaxing spin quite often. I'm not a big fan of gliders and glider-like aircraft (I'm a petrol/piston-head), but the Dimona definitely managed to grab my interest and still has it, thanks to the excellent modelling and engine simulation and a fix for the stutter would make it even better.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everybody,

the GPS fix has been tested now and is in its way to Aerosoft. Thank you for the comments!

Special thanks to Peter Lürkens, who found out, what causes the problem!

As soon as the patch will be available, I will post it here.

Best regards, Joachim

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...